Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you buy shares?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Sgt Slaughter

Hi guys going to take the plunge and buy shares. Couple of questions.

1. Is the charge that people are saying (€25) was quouted called the commission charge? And is this taken for every transaction you make. I.e if i buy €10000 worth of shares in Company A am i charged €25 for example, and if i buy €5000 in Company A and €5000 in Company B on the same day am i charged €50 now?

2. Also with regard to stamp duty where is that paid, and is CGD automatically taken off you or do you have to be the good citizen and sort that yourself, also is CGD computed before deductions are made?

3. If this is all done online, do you ever get share certificates and how are dividends paid to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 FA

Sgt!

The charge depends on the amount and the market you by shares on. Unless you are buying shares in the EURO zone you will also be charged a currency exchange charge!

The stamp duty is taken when the transaction is made- if you were investing !0,000E, the amount invested would be 10k less stamp duty less charges and less exchange rate charge if applies.

The CGT doesnt come into effect until you have actually made a gain, when you sell and make a profit.

The shares can be held in a number of different ways - most cost effective is in a Nominee account - the shares are held in the name of your broker, and the broker distributes the div. Getting shares certs issued cost money and time, both of which as as small trader you dont have. Its harder to sell shares when you have the certs, it means the transaction will take a few days to process, as you have the post the certs before the order can be confirmed. Not a good idea if you need to move quickly. Also you end up paying the cost of having the things printed and postage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Hi all. My first post here but I've been lurking in here for years. Thanks for all the good advice.

I purchassed shares today, my first time dealing with sharewatch. I spoke to them and exchanged a couple of emails yesterday.
    Today I transferred money into their cork account, then rang them, they confirmed that they recieved my lodgement & took my name address and phone number. I told them I wanted to invest in company x and to allow for their fees and stamp duty out of the ammount I transferred. Guy told me current share price, I said ok. He then confirmed that I had purchassed x number of shares at price y. Fee for transaction was €50, stamp duty 1%. I get share cert at no extra charge.
    I didn't have to register or provide any type of ID other than my phone number. Registration is only necessary when cummulative transactions reach €15000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

There's some useful information here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Share certificate from my above post recieved 4th july 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Slimbo

Hi All,

I have read through this post from first to last, very good information.

One question: who is the current best brokerage firm to go with.
    I would be buying circa 10k in stocks spread over 1 to 4 companies and would probably make the same amountof transactions per month.

Any info would be great,

Thanks,

Slimbo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

hey Slimbo.
    I only have experience with Sharewatch and think they are great. Their cost per trade is extremely competitive if not the cheapest out there.
    I have an account with sharewatch for 60 euro a year..And its 20 euro an execution.
    Sharewatch also give you a free Crest membership so the shares are held in your name. Its a bonus as any documentation the company releases goes to you personally rather than the broker if they are holding your shs in a Nominee Account.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 SamSpade

I'm a member of Sharewatch, but I haven't been able to access their website since 05 July, 2008 - nearly two weeks now. I get the following message (in italics below). This isn't the first time their website went down either. I've called them a few times but I'm not getting any real answers.

"www.directsharedeal.com uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate expired on 05/07/2008 13:22.

(Error code: sec_error_expired_certificate)
    "

Based on Google searches, this type of error is usually caused by an incorrect date/time on one's PC, but mine is ok. The previous post to mine suggests that not everyone is affected.

Has anyone else had these problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Looking to invest circa 2k in shares initially and invest a further 2k every 6 months or so. These would be long term investments (10+ years) - have money invested elsewhere and on deposit so trying to spread my investments a wee bit.

Looking around (and reading on here) and think that I'll go with sharewatch - just not sure whether to open an account or go on an execution-only basis.

I like the fact that sharewatch offer free crest membership to account holders - from my research, this is the electronic equivalent of holding share certs in that you are a true shareholder, registered in the books of the company and divs are payable directly to you as opposed to a Nominee Account where they are re-invested.

I suppose the difficulty I am having is determining the advantage of holding certs as opposed to opening an account. If I take the certs, I'll need to have them securely stored but it probably offers more peace of mind.

So I suppose the question I am asking is what is the advantage of holding shares over opening an account which is inclusive of Crest membership? I saw on-here some people opted to take certs, was their any reason why you took that decision.

Thanks in advance for the help (and sorry for the long-winded post)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Mosey101

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Paddy Power Trader...they seem to be very popular...they are even running a free seminar on Oil Trading this weekend...or is there something i'm fundamentally missing about PP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭pocketdooz

Mosey101 wrote: »
    I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Paddy Power Trader...they seem to be very popular...they are even running a free seminar on Oil Trading this weekend...or is there something i'm fundamentally missing about PP?

As far as I know PP only provide a spreadbetting service, not and actual brokerage service.

As such you never actually own a position when using Paddypower , you are simply taking a position on a 'bet' on which direction the market will move.

Therefore, it is not possible to use PP to buy shares or create a portfolio of assets, from what I know of the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Mosey101

Ah right... i thought they offered more than that

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭knoxor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI

Hi,

I've done my research and I'm planning on investing in the stock market but I have a few questions, some which aren't answered in this thread, some which are sort of ambiguously answered :)

So I'd appreciate it if anyone could answer some of these questions before I take the plunge...

1) I want to invest in the NYSE, but I'm wondering, are there any currency conversion liabilities that I have to deal with if I do this? i.e. if I set it up with my AIB bank account or whatever, will there be a currency conversion fee everytime I put money into the electronic trading account before it actually goes to buy a share? Or does it work completely differently? Will I have to open up an account in USD? I have no idea how these firms work!!

2) Questions about tax liabilities answered, thank you :) So I know I'm going to get taxed no more than the Irish tax rate, but how is the tax on investments decided? I looked on revenue.ie but the site's a bit of a nightmare...if anyone has a link I'd be really grateful!

3) What is a good online brokerage to start off with, bearing in mind that I'm going to start off with investing rather small amounts, i.e. €200 every 2 months or so (I'm not a man of very ample means!)

4) If I want to re-invest dividends, is this something that can be done automatically? or do I have to manually do it? Is there any weirdness associated with re-investing dividends, like do I have to pay any extra charges on them, e.g. if a company pays out $1 per share in dividends, and I own 100 shares, and each share trades for $1, can I buy 100 more shares with my dividends or do I lose any to transaction charges, etc.

So these are pretty much the main questions that are stopping me from investing right away...like I said I'd be really really grateful if someone could help answer some of them :)

Thanks,

Mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

paulocon wrote: »
    Looking to invest circa 2k in shares initially and invest a further 2k every 6 months or so. These would be long term investments (10+ years) - have money invested elsewhere and on deposit so trying to spread my investments a wee bit.

Looking around (and reading on here) and think that I'll go with sharewatch - just not sure whether to open an account or go on an execution-only basis.

I like the fact that sharewatch offer free crest membership to account holders - from my research, this is the electronic equivalent of holding share certs in that you are a true shareholder, registered in the books of the company and divs are payable directly to you as opposed to a Nominee Account where they are re-invested.

I suppose the difficulty I am having is determining the advantage of holding certs as opposed to opening an account. If I take the certs, I'll need to have them securely stored but it probably offers more peace of mind.

So I suppose the question I am asking is what is the advantage of holding shares over opening an account which is inclusive of Crest membership? I saw on-here some people opted to take certs, was their any reason why you took that decision.

Thanks in advance for the help (and sorry for the long-winded post)

It seems the paper certificates are going to be phased out here anyway as they are being in other countries.

From the plain english :pac: it's your money, the pros and cons

http://www.itsyourmoney.ie/index.jsp?pID=126&nID=330

Ways of holding shares

Share certificates
    (paper-based)

• You legally own the shares.
    • You receive all documents.
    • You can deal through any stockbroker.
    • You get your dividend direct.

• They are costly to replace if lost or stolen.
    • They expose you to fraud if they fall into wrong hands.
    • You must present them if you decide to sell your shares.
    • A time delay in selling could lose you money (if the share price falls).

Nominee account
    (electronic)

• You can avoid unnecessary documents.
    • You get regular statements showing the shares you hold and any trading you have carried out.
    • You can instruct your stockbroker to buy or sell instantly using your reference number.

• You are not the legal owner of the shares.
    • You pay an account service fee.
    • You must deal with your own broker.
    • The stockbroker controls your shares, including dividends.

Crest personal accounts
    (electronic)

• You legally own the shares.
    • You receive all documents.
    • You get your dividend direct.
    • You can instruct your stockbroker to buy or sell instantly using your reference number.

• You pay an account service fee.
    • You must deal with your own stockbroker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Wise Investor

Investing in anything to get a profit/return requires many aspects One of the best analagies over the recent years was property and the old adage "Location, Location, Location" was the key to making a good desicion. Think of all the time people spent going around looking /checking etc. Lump sum imvetmnet should be approached the same way The Finacial regulator site for lump sum is a good start .

Stocks/Shares/Equities are the same however have a plan i e why am I buying them e g short profit or long term hold other considerations where are they now , i e is there value in them? are they at a yerary or longer low ??. why are they at that low.?? is it just that the oversoldl marke?? is low or is it bad mangement e.g. sub prime loans . what is the potential growth. ?

Important what price will i get out if the price turns down . have a plan and write it down. Inform your broker that u want to sell if u at a certain level of profit or LOSS maybe 3/4 per profit and 1 to 1.5 loss. I could go more into the technicals here but to summerise do your resaerch , use the net yahoo Finace is as good a start as any.. Build up other websites like Marke watch or thise that take yr fancy

BOLuck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

knoxor wrote: »

although very good, you need to be a UK resident to trade on these sites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Can anyone provide me with a stockbroker in Cork City which does execution only stock trading ?

Am looking to buy some shares and I'd imagine the easiest way would be to just pop into an office. I'm guessing I'd need ID ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

anyone have any experience dealing w/ Internaxx?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 elsimate

Can anyone recommend a decent Irish based share trading simulator?
    I'd like to lose some fake money before I earn some real money!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Does anyone know which of the online share accounts (davys, goodbody etc) offer Crest personal accounts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 elsimate

If you sign up with Sharewatch you get a crest account as part of the deal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

cool thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 suehayes1

Hello,

It is a quite a simple process really;

1.Open a broker account;
    - There are a range of traditional brokers i.e. Davy, Goodbody's, Merrion etc.

- There are also a range of online discount brokers i.e. ODL Securities, Sharewatch, National Irish Bank.

It is a cost versus service issue - traditional brokers provide more service, but cost more, whereas online brokers provide less service, but cost less.

2. Fund the account

3. Buy shares by either;

- pick up the phone to your broker either traditional or online

- execute the trade yourself online if you are using an online broker (they will either have their own software or you log into your account with a username and password and place your trade from there).

If you would like to talk to me in greater detail about this, please free to send me a private message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

is anyone buying Ryanair shares,,and if so,,how??:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 matty888

Is it possible to buy canadian shares here in ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭swimgal08

one quick question if i want to set up an online account with goobody what is the minimum amount i have to lodged ... and whats the minimum amount of shares i can buy... like can i buy 200 euros worth ?

oh and any idea of minimum age ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Baqnk of Ireland don't sell shares anymore! To buy and sell on Goodbody you need to have a bank account open with AIB, you can do it on line or go into any of their branches. It is cheaper to do it online. Sharewatch offer the best commission rates but i don't know much about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭neil.p.b

I want to:

Trade online
    Make instant transactions
    Trade daily i.e buy 1000e of shares one day and be looking to sell them on at any given point in the near future i.e 2 hours, 2 days, a week

Who should i use?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Whats the best way to buy shares in Bank of Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

What is the best way to go about it do i have to pay a broker or whatever every year i want to buy E100 worth of shares for each comapny and hang onto them for the Long term just to see where they will be in 10 years time or whatever .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

neil.p.b wrote: »
    I want to:

Trade online
    Make instant transactions
    Trade daily i.e buy 1000e of shares one day and be looking to sell them on at any given point in the near future i.e 2 hours, 2 days, a week

Who should i use?

Thanks

Following advice on here a year ago I signed up with NIB, takes a day or two.
    then you are in Biz. There is always a 20 min delay when you are dealing. . I have no idea why.

regards Rugbyman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Have been considering a similar punt on banks shares at the moment (€100 - €200)

I understand how to buy shares, but for such a low investment I'm considering spread-betting this instead of buying. At the moment these are basically 'penny stocks' and the spread downward (short) to worthless is not a significant one (40 - 70 points) and therefore seems to offer terrific value.

With a spread bet taking a long position on these the return seems significantly better than buying shares.

However - these would be a long term punt, possibly several years - is there significant disincentive to make long-term spread bets with the overnight financing charged by spread-betting companies? Would the financing kill my profit? And is this specifically built in to protect the spread-betting companies from long-term 'investors'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Whats the minimum amount of time you have to hold shares for? Say I bought shares in AIB/BoI today, when can I sell them? Is there a law in place about short term trading?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 suehayes1

Following on from my previous post, ODL Securities are coming over to Ireland and delivering a (FREE) Presentation in Dublin on Wednesday 11th February.

It will take place at 7 p.m. at the Stillorgan Park Hotel.

It may be of interest to you, to have a look at a UK online broker and meet the personnel behind the company.

I have had my own account with them over the past two years and find them quite helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Angel28

Has anyone bought shares through NIB online service? If so how did you find it. Can anyone highlight the pros and cons of a nominee account for me? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Bytheway

Zecco prices are great but they only deal with American stock, but only FTSE100. Trades are around $4 or so and can be free if you are a very frequent trader.
    Americatrade only deals with american Stock also but very cheap to trade in also.
    I like E trade as you can deal with the American stock exchange, the FTSE all shares and the AIM.
    The thing is that you need to set up a separate account with them if you want to trade in UK stock.
    0 -5
    trades £11.50,
    6 -19
    a month £9 ,
    20 +
    trades a month £7
    There is a penalty for non active traders: If you don't trade in a 3 month period, for each month afterwards, you are charged £4.
    They said the shares were held in a crest account but investors are in a nominee account.....can it be both ???

If you make 4 or more day trades(round trip) in a 5 day period you are classified as a pattern day trader and have to have a balance of 25k...is this law and every American trade account ?

Even at £11.50 a trade, they beat Davys and all the other Irish stock brokers hands down. As Davys want €25 min or 0.75% on the for the first 25K than 0.25% on the balance.

Is there a broker that deals in American and FTSE Allshareand AIM for less than £11.50 a trade ?
    failsafe wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I can tell you how I buy stocks and shares if it's of help.

I use an internet stock broker called www.zecco.com, but friends/workmates use www.firstrade.com, www.etrade.com etc. and all are quite similar.

Zecco offer free trades (there is a monthly limit, although I've never hit it so I don't know what it is, after that it's $4.50 per buy/sell, which is a fairly good price).

To set up an account, it's roughly similar to setting up a bank account. Just click "sign up" and follow the steps. You'll need to fill out and sign two forms, and post them along with a photocopy of an id (passport).

When you've got an account set up, you can wire transfer some money accross. This is the only step where I've ever incurred a cost with buying shares. I used to only be able to do it online with AIB, and they charged €15 per transfer, and I used to transfer roughly €1k at a time so it wasn't bad. BOI now offer €1 transfers on 365online so I use them (because I have my current account with them)

Once the money arrives in my Zecco account (usually a week after it leaves my BOI account) it's as simple as picking the stock(s) I want to buy, typing in an amount of shares I would like and clicking buy.

These American online stock brokers generally only let you trade on the american stock exchanges, which is fine by me. If you want to buy shares on the ISEQ (although alot of the big Irish companies are traded on the NASDAQ etc too) you could use an Irish Stock broker, or the one built into aib online. These charge €25 per transaction, and because I have no overwhelming desire to buy from the Irish stock exchange, I'm sticking with my free zecco account!

I'd reccommend anyone who's considering it to take the plunge. It took me a year of procrastinating before I eventually got around to doing it and I wish I'd started sooner!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Guys quick question - who has the cheapest rates for buying Irish shares?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Special K

Right lads thinkin of buying shares for 1k with BOI. Can I do it online? I'm a pure novice to shares and the likes but want to make an investment and not touch em for like a year or so. Any advice?

• Advertisement

We bought some through AIB which are agents for goodbody but to be honest now I know you can buy for less than €10 a trade (paid €200). On line we used a company called Interactive Brokers but they don't do Irish companies. Davy her in Ireland charge less if you do tradesonline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Special K wrote: »
    Any advice?
    1) Only invest money that you can afford to lose
    2) Wait until you have about €5k saved to invest. The transaction costs (about €50) make investment of €1k unviable.
    3) Don't invest in equities with a 1-year timeframe in mind. Be prepared to lock your money away for 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ppthink

Special K wrote: »
    Right lads thinkin of buying shares for 1k with BOI. Can I do it online? I'm a pure novice to shares and the likes but want to make an investment and not touch em for like a year or so. Any advice?[/quote
    Personally I wouldnt touch financials at the moment.
    If you have a brokerage or online account already, shot the financials in the U.S. with ETF`s i.e. exchange traded funds. You can buy them and sell them like shares. Unless you are buyng to hold for whatever period I wouldnt touch banks at the moment. Their share price have gone up in the last couple of weeks. Question is what way next. I can see them drop back in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭wackojacko

it was asked already ,how quick can you sell shares after buying? bought boi shares through aib account. if banks are nationalised does this mean i lose all my shares?
    thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

www.sharewatch.com its practically free, its regulated and its irish!

Is it not a minimum of 14 euro per trade,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Regulated and irish.... Now there's 2 words that fill me with trust :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

sharewatch is based in glasgow!!!!!!!!!!

Do you think sharewatch are a good reputable company to buy with. My husband is so enthusiastic to buy shares at mo. But we know nothing about shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Bytheway

I was with Davys but they are rip off merchants. E Trade are a far better deal especially for bigger purchases. Don't think you can trade on the Iseq though.
    I set up an account for E TRADE UK trade. If you want to trade in American stock, than you need an E TRADE American account also.
    E TRADE UK deals oin the FTSE and the AIM.
    Easy to set up and more user friendly than Davys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭Mont

I want to buy around a €1,000 worth of BOI shares - how do i do that? Should i buy them at a BOI branch? Surely if i buy them through a share company like sharewatch etc, even if that company closes down it doesnt matter to me as the shares would be in my name?

But as of now what should i do?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gaherne

why use brokers. Esp witg CGT gone up in April Budget.

I have been using www.worldspreads.ie over the last year or so and cant complain at all.

No charges and best off all no Captial Gains or stamp duty. Dealing platform is very easy to use and the dealers can talk you through your first few trades and how to place stop orders and take profit.

No hassle opening account and took less than 24hrs after my online application.

• Advertisement
Advertisement