Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you buy shares?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Would it be wise to get into share trading at the moment? Not for novices methinks!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

femur61 wrote: »
    But we know nothing about shares.
    Be very, very careful. Don't put in any money that you can't afford to lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 HegaCork

I, like you hadn't a clue how to buy shares. Davy's and the major brokers will only deal in medium to large stock and know how to charge for it. The banks will sell shares but add a few cent per share for themselves as well as €165 charge. So I used Sharewatch, you lodge money into their account, put your name on the lodgement slip. Phone them up to confirm, they will take €50 admin and the rest you use to buy shares over the phone with their broker at the going rate, usually whats onscreen on Aertel p141 (AIB) or p142 (BOI). Its easy, and you dont need to be buying €thousands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 silverpaddy

has anyone dealt with fexco stockbroking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭TTNYWWBM

Hi Everybody, I make a living Share trading and I'm happy to help:

Davy and similar IRISH stockbrokers do have online services. Davy in particular has a minimum deposit to start of 2,000 euro. But that's still your money!

You need to download all their forms and get a certified copy of your passports and 2 bills to prove your address and something with your PPS number on it. A Garda will sign these copies for you! I have found Davy to be most helpful and reliable and I think this makes up for any marginal difference in their charges compared to bargain basement online services.

Send all forms and a draft for 2K off in registered post and in a few days you're an online trader. www.davy.ie

Oh I don't giving advice on what to buy but here are a few "no brainers", Bank of Ireland and AIB, buy them as low as you can and ride them till they just start falling, check past graph performance for a dip but buy when it's just starting to rise.

LOOK AT THE NOT SO OBVIOUS ones too! Little cent shares like Siteserv, Newcourt Group, Providence Resources etc. as if you buy 50,000 at 6cent that's 3000 euro but sell them at 8 cent that's 4000 euro less commissions, earning you about 840ish! What bank will give you that interest?

Most trading services have a minimum charge, Davys is 25 euro.

-- Actually Newcourt Group is 2/3rds in the UK 1/3rd IRL and their UK Govt funding is due any day now. They are primarily in the student housing market. When that happens they're share will be far more valuable and prices will rise sharply. :cool:

-- Siteserv shares went to 9 cent yesterday, sell the days they're 12 cent!!! :eek:

-- Providence are 4 cent and most likely but don't take my word for it! See it rise back to 5.5 cent or higher soon!

Again simply buy all shares as low as you can and sell as high as you can. It's not rocket science! ;) For years it was only the domain of the rich and powerful, high minimum commission rates NOW ANYONE CAN MAKE SERIOUS MONEY.

Remember Irish Revenue Capital Gains Tax is 20% on everything you earn from investments over about 1,300 euro (2008)

Handy sites to know.
    http://www.advfn.com
    Ideal for REALTIME irish and uk share prices. Nominal price per month!

http://www.google.ie
    Google Finance Chart, Google finance portfolios and other tickers and gizmos that give you good info data and stock news. Most are 20min delayed, but advfn is realtime, which is important!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks! More of that type of advice please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

GreenDoor wrote: »
    Could somebody fill me in. I havn't a clue how to get started but it's something I'm interested in doing.

im a rookie and i had a student account with aib and tried to open a a share trading account (via goodbody) so i had to open a regular current account cause the student account won't do, mind you i kept the student account open for the no fees n loans etc.

so now with the goodbody+aib account i can trade online with no minimum (no minimum was wat i was looking for) they charge me €60 a year plus buying/trading fees, its handy enough

but low sell high, sell aib

Zascar wrote: »
    Thanks! More of that type of advice please!

Your welcome. :) Why do I have a (!) Alert on all my posts? As a moderator can you remove this, thanks?

Just one thing I'd like to add as I did rightly get a bit of criticism from a few seasoned investors for other posts, so...

"Stop Loss" Set your limit you will let the share fall to, if it drops below sell to prevent further losses. So if the price continues to fall you can buy even more stock at an even lower price. If it is a blue chip you can set your tolerances a bit wider than a higher risk stock. Why?

BOI today (1.50 to 1.33 back up to 1.54). was a classic example of holding ones nerve and/or stop loss selling.

Say you bought BOI at 1.49 the price falls to 1.42 so you sell, it continues to drop to 1.30 so you buy again, you're better off than holding your nerve till the share floats back to 1.49 or higher!

However check your numbers carefully!

With commissions and stamp duty of 1% for Irish shares (0.5% for UK) (when buying them), holding ones nerve in small fluctuations can save you fees. If the price dips in the day a few points (on an over a euro share) don't knee jerk sell. Set a realistic limit, if it's and obvious freefall of course sell quickly, and buy back when the base price is reached. This is why realtime streaming data is essential!

BTW I don't spread bet. Just a personal preference. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 RockCastle

Thanks TTNYWWBM your posts have been great! Very helpful. If you buy in the moring and say sell at lunchtime and buy again later in the afternoon will you have access to your funds that quickly to re-use or is that like day trading?

I read a lot about day trading but you seem to need €25k to open a propper day trading account.

I have never traded but have read a lot of books over the past 18 months or so but was to nervous to get into the market the way it was. I would love to get into it in a sensible way maybe sub my income a little as its back c.50% from the good old days and that hurts but I do have access to funds to get going! I also know Rome wasn't built in a day ;)!

When you have a Davy online account within a few minutes of trading the shares your account it credited with funds, and within a few minutes of buying them you can trade them again. I can't speak for other online systems, but the simple answer is yes for buying and selling within 1 day on Davy.

However Davy's fee structure is really high and their client website technically works but really is stone age compared to other realtime sites. Only having all shares only 2 off the decimal place is so stupid, particularly as most shares trades are to 3 off decimal place eg 0.044 cents or 1.203 euro??? In some trades that 0.003 can cover the fees!

You can specify to the 3rd place when buying and selling anyway on Davy.

Can you day trade on Internaxx or any other site does anyone know? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

RockCastle wrote: »
    Thanks TTNYWWBM your posts have been great! Very helpful. If you buy in the moring and say sell at lunchtime and buy again later in the afternoon will you have access to your funds that quickly to re-use or is that like day trading?

I read a lot about day trading but you seem to need €25k to open a propper day trading account.

After I sell shares I don't have access to those funds until trade settles (3 days). At least that's the case with Interactivebrokers and Davy. You can trade the same stock as many times as you want as long as you have sufficent funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 RockCastle

That's where I could get caught out Strmin! Better keep funds up my sleeve. Can anyone recommend a good trading simulation site? There seem to be a lot out there have any of you found some very good??:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

vse.marketwatch.com

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mervuedude

I recently opened a custody account with NIB. My first trade was with a company in the USA. Within one week the shares had risen nicely and I was up $3,100. Time to take the profit so I cashed in my chips. Boy was I in for a surprise. There was a brokerage fee of $180 for buying the shares and $196 for selling them (which I was never informed of). I was told I'd have to pay €20 for each transaction. Anyhow, taking this into account I was now up around $2,700. Boy was I in for another surprise! I had bought the shares at 73 cents and sold at 69.6 cents. When NIB had finished their calculations my $2,700 was now worth €1,002.

So that's it folks, I busted my nuts studying the markets for months. Picked a share and took the plunge (first time ever) only to see the bank taking 60% of my profit. I'm sure there has to be a better way cos this has totally put me off playing the markets in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

mervuedude wrote: »
    I recently opened a custody account with NIB. My first trade was with a company in the USA. Within one week the shares had risen nicely and I was up $3,100. Time to take the profit so I cashed in my chips. Boy was I in for a surprise. There was a brokerage fee of $180 for buying the shares and $196 for selling them (which I was never informed of). I was told I'd have to pay €20 for each transaction. Anyhow, taking this into account I was now up around $2,700. Boy was I in for another surprise! I had bought the shares at 73 cents and sold at 69.6 cents. When NIB had finished their calculations my $2,700 was now worth €1,002.

So that's it folks, I busted my nuts studying the markets for months. Picked a share and took the plunge (first time ever) only to see the bank taking 60% of my profit. I'm sure there has to be a better way cos this has totally put me off playing the markets in future.

That's a loss though isn't it?? I'm confused

mervuedude wrote: »

NIB? You obviously did not look at their schedule of charges before doing this?
    There is something wrong with the calculations, even though they are the most expensive. I would recommend using Davy.ie or Internaxx.lu in the future!

Apologies if the post was a bit confusing. I finished up with a profit of €1k after expenses. I have spoken to NIB and got the usual garbage about exchange rates etc etc. The fact remains that I made a profit of $3,100 on the deal but by the time they imposed brokerage fees and exchange rate fluctuations I came clear with just over €1000. I'll have a look at internaxx.

Cheers.

if you use sharewatch the total charge for trades up to 15k is 50euro!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

i just contacted sharewatch

below is the response

For a small trader account you don't need to complete any application form, and it allows you to trade up to €15,000 via telephone dealing before needing to complete the registration process.

If you are wishing to sell shares you already own then please ensure you have the certificate to hand when calling us.

To buy shares you need to transfer funds up front to our Ulster Bank Account or send a cheque made payable to Direct Sharedeal Limited.

Sort Code 98-55-63

A/c number 73364110

The account is in the name of Direct Sharedeal.

When transferring the funds please ask the bank to put your full name as a reference to allow us to identify the funds when they come in.

Once that is done you call our cash team who will confirm receipt of the funds and transfer you to a dealer.

Phone - Lo-Call 1890 946 649 from within Ireland

If you wish to trade online or over €15,000 then you need to complete our Sponsored Member Registration pack, which I have attached for your information. Shares are held electronically in your name at Crest and there is an annual fee of €60 for this account.

Please contact me if you require anyfurther information.

• Advertisement

dont know where you arrived at the figures? if you sold at a price less than you bought at, how would you have any profit? also did you do the trade in euros or in usd? as the exchange rates amy have moved if you paid for the deal in euro and then converted back sale proceeds to euro after....? cant see how 1700usd could be taken in any chares even high ones!

if you hold a share cert for your shares, sharewatch can sell them at any time without your cert!!!!
    when you have sold the shares you then send the cert to them via post.
    you dont need an account with them either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 boylers

hey i'm just wondering what broker lets u deal with commodities and which guys have the widest range of shares etc to choose from. Does davy's let u buy and sell stocks from the likes of brazil etc and if not which guys do and whats there charges? Any takers for ths one. I want to get into the buying and selling of these shares and have a few ideas for stocks in different countries.

you could gain exposure to these markets by buying a etf/etc, which will track the performance of the market or commodity, i dont know of a cheap way other than that, most brokers will not offer good rates on dealing on those markets as their costs of dealing them based on exchange fees etc will be higher.....
    look up www.ishares.com to start with......

Sorry guys, I didn't make it very clear in my original post - "I bought the shares at 73 cents and sold at 69.6 cents". That misleading quote was actually the exchange rate I paid at the time of both transactions. The share price went from $17.04 to $19.80, that's where I made the profit. Sorry for causing confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 podge82

sharewatch, don't look any further, lowest commission rates, .4 % via phone and .3 % online. Capped at 15k€ at any one time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Just a query on selling shares. I bought some BOI shares a while through Sharewatch and have the share cert. Just wondering say if Sharewatch closed how would i sell the shares or how would i receive dividends?

Warper wrote: »
    Just a query on selling shares. I bought some BOI shares a while through Sharewatch and have the share cert. Just wondering say if Sharewatch closed how would i sell the shares or how would i receive dividends?

ya can just ring them up and sell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Daragh101 wrote: »
    ya can just ring them up and sell!

No I mean say if Sharewatch went bust or something. Would I have to set up an account with a stock broker and sell them though him? Also if BOI start paying out dividends (i know they wont for a no. of years) will they automatically be sent to my home address or how does it work?

Warper wrote: »
    No I mean say if Sharewatch went bust or something. Would I have to set up an account with a stock broker and sell them though him? Also if BOI start paying out dividends (i know they wont for a no. of years) will they automatically be sent to my home address or how does it work?

not sure tbh!..sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭k974

hi i live in australia i'm originally from ireland but am now a dual irish & australian citizen, what is the best option for me for buy irish shares online, i've had a look at sharewatch is it only for irish residents? i use commsec for my australian shares.

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭SD1990

hi also interested in buying shares at the moment..not sure exactly where at the moment.. Regarding sharewatch, ive read here they have the lowest commision rates but what happens with capital gains tax in this case? Also as someone said above what would happen if they went under? Thanks !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Buffy the bitch

SD1990 wrote: »
    hi also interested in buying shares at the moment..not sure exactly where at the moment.. Regarding sharewatch, ive read here they have the lowest commision rates but what happens with capital gains tax in this case? Also as someone said above what would happen if they went under? Thanks !

If you buy on the phone they send you out a sheet stating what you bought so if they went under wouldn't affect you.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Bytheway

I dealt with Davys first . They are very expensive. I now deal with Etrade. Trades cost me £11 and £9 after 5 trades per month. The BIG problem with them is that you cant have a Stop Loss or buy shares below the 5%-10% spread. This is highly annoying andthese simple procedures were meant to be in place since May 09. They aren't very efficient either as it took a long time to transfer lines of trade to them and weeks for me to be able to see the details of the stock I transferred. So if you can find another broker that has cheap trades than I would go for them.I trade only in FTSE shares bytheway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭the lil man

Hi,
    just wondering would it be worth buying 50 shares in the bank of ireland and if so where would i buy them. I would like to buy them but is it worth only buying 50

Hi,
    just wondering would it be worth buying 50 shares in the bank of ireland and if so where would i buy them. I would like to buy them but is it worth only buying 50

well you would be paying about 50euro to buy and 50euro to sell, so simply no!
    Tbh i think you missed the boat with the banks, imo its too late and risky to invest in irish banks atm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Not if your in it for the long run ie 5 years

It is a waste of time and money investing in that amount of shares in BOI right now.
    I guessing that you are choosing BOI as you don't know any other share to invest in.
    If you were to choose a share that has a decent chance of going 500% to 800% in the next 3 -5 years I would say go for it but BOI won't. There are many shares that could well do that but not BOI.
    I got 500% within 6 months and 100% in different shares in less time but I worked hard to get the info to come to the conclusion to invest in them. Amount of research you do more or less can = reward. Of course there is alway risk but there is risk in everything.
    Best of luck with your decision ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭schumacher

Hi I have been looking at the sharewatch website. I want to start buying and selling shares and was wondering how quick shares are bought and sold .i.e if I look up the shares prices and they are 1 euro will I have them bought before the price changes if I do it online with Sharewatch?

If I want to trade with Sharewatch i pay 50 euro and then .3 or .4 % comission every time i buy and sell shares. Is there other hidden costs I cant see? Thanks

Have a look Afren and San Leon Energy. Afren would be considered lower risk and San Leon would be a high risk play but I believe they both will return you higher rewards than BOI in the short therm (6 months)
    (explorers and new technologies would be be considered to be a lot more riskier than your blue chip companies ie FTSE100 but have the possibility to grow far more)

Hi,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭golfdiva

What do ye reckon of the AIB online service , does anyone use it ? Their commision seems resonable?

• Advertisement

golfdiva wrote: »
    What do ye reckon of the AIB online service , does anyone use it ? Their commision seems resonable?

very very bad price wise!!...Sharewatch is much cheaper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

http://www.kaching.com

Might be something to look into. I play around with a virtual portfolio there to if i'm any good at predicting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Im just in the process now of comparing the firms and the fee's seem pretty steep.

I mean Id be only looking to invest about 2k but it seems its hardly worth my while with the fees that are charged. I was also hoping to add a few hundred a month to my investment but with the fee's this would be impossible.

Does anybody invest with such small amounts or do you really need lots of capital to make it worth while?

Im just in the process now of comparing the firms and the fee's seem pretty steep.

I mean Id be only looking to invest about 2k but it seems its hardly worth my while with the fees that are charged. I was also hoping to add a few hundred a month to my investment but with the fee's this would be impossible.

Does anybody invest with such small amounts or do you really need lots of capital to make it worth while?

ya i usually invest under 2k a go.....
    From my experiance the best thing to do is use sharewatches small traders account.....
    Each transaction has a charge of €50......there are no other charges. No account fees, no percentage commission, just €50....

I am also looking into TDwaterhouse......For them i think its €60 account fees per year, and i think its €20 atrade from there....(not sure about that though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sharenavigator

In answer to your question a lot of people do invest with these small amounts. In fact you are better of starting with a small amount and make your mistakes. There is a lot to learn and you dont want to make a mistake with your pension on the line. Then as you perfect your skills and techniques you can add to your porfolio value.

I hope that helps.

Aidan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Stevebyrne

The tax is putting me off bying and selling my shares...

Do you pay the tax after you sell or do you make it up at the end year.
    When is the dead line.
    Do I need to get a form from the tax office to fill in.

These are just some questions I need help with.

Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭blackrovers

Hi i'm lookin to go investing in stocks in the developing countries but don't know where to start or how to maybe do it online. I don't want to invest in funds etc that deal with specific sectors like developin countries, commodity etc. I just want to put X amount in X company in places like india, brazil etc. Plus i know about davys online system but they mainly deal with irish stocks and some of the big companies in America, is there many some online investin crowd that allow you to invest further a field.

Cheers for any advice and help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭RMDrive

I have some work shares coming into my posession in the next few weeks. I want to keep them for the med/long term but I need to have an account that they can be transferred into.
    As I will not be carrying out many (any!) transactions, I'm thinking that an account with the lowest annual fee would be best.
    Has anyone any comment on using Redmayne-Bentley in Cork? They do not have an annual fee for nominee accounts so I presume that would mean my day to day costs would be zero until I decide to buy/sell.
    I'm a bit worried about the risk of the company going under however as I understand that would put the value of my nominee account at risk.

Any advice appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭clarecoco

www.sharewatch.com its practically free, its regulated and its irish!

I am with National Irish Bank (NIB) and like Sharewatch it is not Irish. NIB is ideal if you are not a regular trader but do transactions from time to time. There's a minimum charge for each transaction:
    • 20 euro minimum per trade (.75% commission)
    • You can specify the max you are willing to pay when placing the order in case the price shoots up and the lowest price you’ll sell your shares at.
    • When you have free banking with NIB there are no annual fees for holding your shares
    • You can access your on-line account to check the current price of your portfolio of shares and look at your trading history.

I previously did some transaction with Sharewatch - the trading fee was similar but they charge 60 Euro per year for the account. With NIB I do not have that annual charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭clarecoco

Stevebyrne wrote: »
    The tax is putting me off bying and selling my shares...

Do you pay the tax after you sell or do you make it up at the end year.
    When is the dead line.
    Do I need to get a form from the tax office to fill in.

These are just some questions I need help with.

Thanks...

Capital Gains Tax (CGT) is a tax on capital gains arising on the disposal of assets owned by you. The chargeable capital gain is got by deducting the price you paid for an asset when you acquired it from the sale proceeds of when you dispose of it.
    Example
    You purchase shares in January 2008 at a cost of €5,000 and sell them in May 2009 for €8,000. Assume you have no other capital gains, losses or allowable expenditure:
    Disposal proceeds = €8,000
    Cost price = €5,000
    Chargeable Gain = €3,000 (the tax liability is on this figure)
    Deduct:
    Personal exemption = €1270
    Net Chargeable Gain now = €1,730
    CGT tax Chargeable = 25%
    Capital Gains Tax due = €432.50

Note.
    1) In calculating the amount of tax payable, deductions are allowable for incidental costs of acquisition, such as fees, stamp duty etc. and incidental costs of disposal .
    2) If shares are in joint names (e.g. married couple) Each can have the personal exemption (€1270 X 2 = €2540) deducted from the chargeable gain for that year.

CGT payment dates
    The tax year is divided into two periods for payment purposes. For 2009 and subsequent years these are as follows:
    • 'initial period' - 1 January to 30 November
    • later period' - 1 December to 31 December
    The tax arising in respect of gains in the 'initial period' (Jan - Nov) must be paid on or before the 15 December in the same year and the tax due on gains in the 'later period' is payable on or or before 31 January following the end of the year of assessment

Advertisement