Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you buy shares?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 i7yzfew9g6c428

Hi guys...I'm just wondering if there are are any benefits for someone that is retired...i.e lower tax rates to be paid on dividends etc.

Can you list all the benefits (if any) please?

Just how much could be saved in this way? Can you give me some examples of calculations etc.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭clarecoco

Hi guys...I'm just wondering if there are are any benefits for someone that is retired...i.e lower tax rates to be paid on dividends etc.

Can you list all the benefits (if any) please?

Just how much could be saved in this way? Can you give me some examples of calculations etc.

Thanks.
    [FONT=&quot]
    Taxes and profits[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]: If you make a profit above €1,270 in any tax year when you sell your shares you will have to pay capital gains tax (CGT). The rate of CGT changes from time to time (check annual Budget) but is currently at 25% and is the same for all taxpayers[/FONT].
    Dividend: A dividend is the money paid out per share to each shareholder, dividends are usually paid twice a year to all shareholders. You have to pay taxes on any dividends you get. Dividend Withholding Tax (DWT) must be deducted by any Irish Resident company making a dividend payment.

There are normally no special benefits for a retired person. The tax rate applicable on a dividend depends on an individual's personal circumstances and the rate at which any other income is taxed at (e.g. a single person pays tax on income up to €36,400 @ 20% and the balance is taxed @ 41% tax rate).

The rate of DWT is the standard rate of Income Tax. If you pay higher tax rate - you declare the dividend on your annual return (Form 12 if you are a PAYE earner) - and you must also pay the additional tax due

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Swiss31

Someone was asking about Redmanye in Cork. I have used them over the past 9 months and to be honest I found them very bad to deal with. Yes, they have some of the lowest costs around but the quality of their service leaves a lot to be desired. I have had personal experience of them overcharging my account and having to challange them to get monies refunded. Some friends and colleagues of mine have had the same experience so it does not seem to be an isolated experience. It all seemed a bit underhand and left a very bad taste. In addition, phone calls are usually answered with "we're up the walls" and they seem more than happy to simply get you off the phone. I have since switched from them and would suggest to avoid unless you are willing to put up with sloppy service and potential overcharging. (I think GlobalReach have an online service which I have heard is good??).

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Stevebyrne

Thanks Clarecoco your post helps a lot.. could I just ask if the personal exemption Tax starts from January 09 till the end of December because this would be better for me to sell from Jan. 2010 when the personal exemption is renewed or does it work that way.

Also do I just ring them up with my credit card number and ask them to charge me or is there a from I need to request from them which I think is most likely...

I know I should ring them but I just find it easer to talk to them when I know what I am doing this is why I’m asking for advice....Thanks...

Stevebyrne wrote: »
    Thanks Clarecoco your post helps a lot.. could I just ask if the personal exemption Tax starts from January 09 till the end of December because this would be better for me to sell from Jan. 2010 when the personal exemption is renewed or does it work that way.
    quote]

Yes, the exemption of €1270 is allowed annually and applies the same as your tax year (i.e. Jan to December of same year).

How to make a payment of CGT?
    There is a leaflet on the Revenue website which summarises the main features of CGT: www.revenue.ie/en/tax/cgt/leaflets/cgt2.pdf -
    In order to pay CGT you should complete the short form known as the CGT payslip and send it, with the correct amount of CGT due by cheque, postal order etc. (no credit card facility ), to the Collector-General’s Division, Sarsfield House, Francis Street, Limerick, by the appropriate date. in addition to the payment and payslip.

You are also required to send in a tax return as outlined in the Self-Assessment section in page 2 of the above leaflet.

Payslips are available on Revenue’s website www.revenue.ie, (in the site search facility input "CGT payslip" and you will get it) and from the Collector-General’s Division by phoning LoCall 1890 20 30 70 or from any Revenue office.

Tip on "Bed & Breakfast"

Sale and Repurchase of shares
    If the person has a holding of shares that have gained in value he may dispose of a block of shares in each tax year in order to crystallise the profit [the benefit in this is that he sells an amount of shares that utilises the annual exemption of €1270]. Bed & Breakfast refers to this transaction, which enables a shareholder to realise a capital gain in a tax year to make use of his/her annual capital gains tax allowance without affecting the holding of shares. The shares are sold and repurchased at the current market price on 2 consecutive days, leading to the term "Bed & Breakfast"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Stevebyrne

Thanks a million Clarecoco I feel I owe you one....:D
    I'm more up to date with this now..just hope the share price go back up soon.
    Steve...

Stevebyrne wrote: »
    Thanks a million Clarecoco I feel I owe you one....:D
    I'm more up to date with this now..just hope the share price go back up soon.
    Steve...

Glad the information helps you.
    I hope it is clear that if before the 31 December you sell an amount of shares and make a profit of €1270 or less you will have no liabilty to Capital Gains Tax. Any profit under the annual exemption means there is no liability to tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

just wondering whats the minimum you can invest with a stockbroker when buying shares?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭blackrovers

Bytheway wrote: »
    It is a waste of time and money investing in that amount of shares in BOI right now.
    I guessing that you are choosing BOI as you don't know any other share to invest in.
    If you were to choose a share that has a decent chance of going 500% to 800% in the next 3 -5 years I would say go for it but BOI won't. There are many shares that could well do that but not BOI.
    I got 500% within 6 months and 100% in different shares in less time but I worked hard to get the info to come to the conclusion to invest in them. Amount of research you do more or less can = reward. Of course there is alway risk but there is risk in everything.
    Best of luck with your decision ;)

so how do u go about investing in these shares?! with what online crowd do u invest through etc.

It is still very difficult to identify which broker gives the best value but it can depend on the quantity of shares you are purchasing. Some may also charge extra to get shares certs issued in paper form in your own name so it may be more cost effective to open an account The electronic account allows you to buy and sell shares more easily by quoting your account reference number. The stockbroker will tell you whether it is:
    • a Nominee account (the stockbroker controls your shares, including dividends)
    • [font=&quot]a Crest personal member account (you legally own the shares}.[/font]
    [font=&quot]When buying shares you will also pay stamp duty -you pay 1 per cent stamp duty when you buy Irish shares, and 0.5 per cent stamp duty on British shares[/font]

[font=&quot]The Sharewatch Small Trader Service offers the ability to buy or sell UK & Irish shares up to a maximum value of €15,000 for a fee of €50 or (or equivalent in Sterling) per trade without having to open an account or register. [/font]
    [font=&quot]www.sharewatch.com : To open an on-line account with Sharewatch there is an annual fee of €60[/font]

[font=&quot]National Irish Bank (NIB) you can open a custody (share dealing account). There's a minimum charge for each transaction of 20 euro minimum per trade (.75% commission). Currently no annual fee with free banking but some literature mentions €40.[/font]

[font=&quot]AIB/Goodbody: Minimum Commission Per Trade Cost EUR 32.00 and Trades up to EUR 25,000 charged at 1.25%. annual online account fee charges is €26[/font]

[font=&quot]Davy Stockbrokers: Commission charges start at €25 per online trade. The online account carries an annual fee of €80 [/font]

[font=&quot]There is an article comparing Irish stockbrokers in the June 09 Consumer Choice magazine[/font]
    [font=&quot]Download here http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2WW74CRC[/font]

• Advertisement

Check thread on www.askaboutmoney.com which gives names and experiences of some on-line trading platforms which allows purchase of shares in home or foreign markets.
    http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=116295

When purchasing in non-Euro countries there will obviously be additional costs in exhange rates and risk with currency fluctations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭hblock21

clarecoco wrote: »

CGT payment dates
    The tax year is divided into two periods for payment purposes. For 2009 and subsequent years these are as follows:
    • 'initial period' - 1 January to 30 November
    • later period' - 1 December to 31 December
    The tax arising in respect of gains in the 'initial period' (Jan - Nov) must be paid on or before the 15 December in the same year and the tax due on gains in the 'later period' is payable on or or before 31 January following the end of the year of assessment

I bought and sold shares at the start of 2009. I haven't done anything about paying CGT yet, I tought I could do it in a year or so.

Am I going to have to pay more CGT now that its gone past the 15 Dec 09??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

hblock21 wrote: »
    I bought and sold shares at the start of 2009. I haven't done anything about paying CGT yet, I tought I could do it in a year or so.

Am I going to have to pay more CGT now that its gone past the 15 Dec 09??

The CGT liability will not change. However, you will be liable to Interest on Late Payment (ILP) on a daily rate for each day after 15 December.

You should calculate the CGT amount and make the tax payment as soon as possible. Leave the Interest payment calculation to Revenue (ignore it in your return). By paying as soon as possible you will keep the ILP amount small and if it is minimal Revenue are less likely to pursue it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭wexhurdler

Hi,

Buying shares was something I've always wanted to do. Thing is I'm 19 and I've only 200Euro to throw, and was looking at buying shares in Irish Life and Permanent. Is there really much point in doing so with only 200Eur? Even if I only made 5Eur profit I'd be happy, just really want to give it a go and take it from there.. Any thoughts appreciated

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Kingdomkerry

wexhurdler wrote: »
    Hi,

Buying shares was something I've always wanted to do. Thing is I'm 19 and I've only 200Euro to throw, and was looking at buying shares in Irish Life and Permanent. Is there really much point in doing so with only 200Eur? Even if I only made 5Eur profit I'd be happy, just really want to give it a go and take it from there.. Any thoughts appreciated

Thanks in advance!

Im sort of in the same boat. I want to start small and buy shares in a company for say €200. Would there be any point in investing in a figure like this when you have to pay €50 per transaction? What do people recommend the minimum investment should be? Could you buy 40 worth of shares in one company and 160 in another and have it as one transaction?

How do you open an account with sharewatch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Little point in buying shares with anything less than €1k - the transaction fees are just too high, even with low-cost brokers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

wexhurdler wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks in advance!

im kinda the same, dont have a lot of cash to spend but would love to give it a go. 1k seems to be the minimum considering the fees involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭joecc

jdivision wrote: »
    You can do it in any AIB or Bank of Ireland branch or set up an online account with Davy Stockbrokers - I'm suggesting their online service cos recent survey suggested they have lowest commission on share purchases

Can you just fund the account there, for the time being, but not actually investing anything? if you know what I mean. Like just build up a stock pile of cash at Davey, then invest?

or am I talking rubbish? )

what are lifecycle funds? Funds that cover a range of stocks and shares?

is it true that the Irish Stock Market, has performed better, historically, than its counterparts - UK and US?

if that's the case wouldn't all serious intl investors concentrate their activities on Ireland's one?

What about ETF funds, they've lower fees than Tracker and follow an index more closely than the average index?

anybody with more knowledge?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ROMARHEATING

clarecoco, thanks a million for all the info and the article - very helpful.

Just though I'd share... I rang NIB to open an account (Custody Account) with them to start trading, just as few pps I want to start small. Anyway in order to trade through NIB u need to open a normal current account with them in order to open the custody account. Here is the list of documents they told me I will require to open both accounts:
    photographic proof of ID (passport driving license)
    Utility Bill - proof of address
    Bank statements (covering 3-6months) from my current bank account with another bank
    They also said it is best to call and make an appointment to make sure there is someone available to deal with me.
    Keep in mind that with the current account u will be charged if u have a laser or pass card to that account, its €2.50 for the pass card, and will be a bit more for the laser. U also have an option of no card, but u will have to go into the branch each time you want to withdraw cash.
    Anyway so far so good, hope this helps anyone who’s thinking of starting up. I will enquire about annual charges (and all other charges) for that custody account and update u on these.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Dude240502

If you wanted to sell quickly after buying, within a day or so, what are the best ways to go?

investing in the The FTSE All-Share Index,
    pointless considering currency conversion fees?

So, you could buy E10,000 of shares from Sharewatch without having to open an Account? How do you go about it and how long does it all take?

Dude240502 wrote: »
    So, you could buy E10,000 of shares from Sharewatch without having to open an Account? How do you go about it and how long does it all take?

Ring them up, get there bank account details.

Transfer the funds to that account.

One or two days later ring them up and tell them what shares you want to buy.

How long does it take to open an online account with Sharewatch?

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

Can you buy shares in oil ,copper etc... on sharewatch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Yeah.. there is a search button on the site so put in your relevant area of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Manachan

You can buy funds/stocks with TD Ameritrade for $9.99 per trade.

no annual account fees

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭bestie

Manachan wrote: »
    You can buy funds/stocks with TD Ameritrade for $9.99 per trade.

no annual account fees

what I gathered from Ameritrade's site is that for share dealings, you have to fund your account with a min of $2,000 and then you need another US bank to act as the middle man to transfer funds - bit messy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I bought BOI shares off Sharewatch and received a contract note for my purchase. Is this my Share Certificate or how do I get my SC? thanks

Warper wrote: »
    I bought BOI shares off Sharewatch and received a contract note for my purchase. Is this my Share Certificate or how do I get my SC? thanks

It will be posted to you in another week or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

hblock21 wrote: »
    It will be posted to you in another week or so.

Thanks for the reply but I bought them last year and never received an actual share certificate. Would my contract note constitute as a SC or how would I actually get the SC. Actually I think they hold the shares in trust so maybe I wont get a SC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Whats the best way to trade online from Ireland these days for someone who wont be making a lot of trades but will still want to keep an eye on their portfolio and be able to buy or sell quickly if required?

Warper wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply but I bought them last year and never received an actual share certificate. Would my contract note constitute as a SC or how would I actually get the SC. Actually I think they hold the shares in trust so maybe I wont get a SC?

I dont know. I would suggest you ring sharewatch for a definitive answer.

I have bought many times using sharewatchs small shares service and received a SC a few weeks later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭autotrader

Thargor wrote: »
    Whats the best way to trade online from Ireland these days for someone who wont be making a lot of trades but will still want to keep an eye on their portfolio and be able to buy or sell quickly if required?

same question here, who's good value to trade with and easy to deal with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Im starting to think an account with National Irish Bank might be the way to go for me:

http://www.nationalirishbank.ie/en-ie/Personal/Save-and-invest/Investment/Products/Pages/Online-Trading.aspx

Ill only be making a couple of trades a year though, long term value investing mostly but it'll be nice to have the online service there aswell, no annual fee is the main thing for me because I mightnt be making any trades for long periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

Hi all,
    I have opened an account with Ameritrade but all the tax forms are a bit over my head:( Does anyone know how to go about setting all the tax stuff up (step by step if possible as Im very thick)? I want to buy Pink OTC's is there an easier way to do this??? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Benny Blanco

I used to use Fexco Stockbroking but they have an auditor running the place now and she knows nothing about investing or investments.

Check out TD Waterhouse.ie

D

GreenDoor wrote: »
    Could somebody fill me in. I havn't a clue how to get started but it's something I'm interested in doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,519 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Nice first post. :p

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 musafir.aa

hi i am an absolute beginner i have some savings and i want to put them some where where i can make a bit of profit some of my mates advised me to put money into the AIB and Bank of Ireland shares i am wondering if some more experienced people can give me advise regarding this and if u think its a smart bet to put money into these how to go about it
    would i need a broker if yes which broker to go for as i said i am an absolute beginner any advise would be much appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭displaced dub

musafir.aa wrote: »
    hi i am an absolute beginner i have some savings and i want to put them some where where i can make a bit of profit some of my mates advised me to put money into the AIB and Bank of Ireland shares i am wondering if some more experienced people can give me advise regarding this and if u think its a smart bet to put money into these how to go about it
    would i need a broker if yes which broker to go for as i said i am an absolute beginner any advise would be much appreciated

Dont

Dont
    ok please elaborate or any other options you could think of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

Not another one of these threads.

Listen pal, why would you buy shares in ruined banks, that are in the process of downsizing significantly, located largely on a small island on the periphery of Europe that is mired in recession when you can invest in strong banks who are expanding in countries that are currently growing. Just think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I honestly believe not to take the advice of others. It is much better to do your own research because then you will be making a completely informed decision and if anything goes wrong it won't ruin the friendship. Tips are free to give and carry no risk and hence in my eyes they are useless at the very least and can be malicious in the extreme cases.

On a side note, don't think that your portfolio has to be Irish dominated. The beauty of the global markets is that they are global!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭bluenose1956

Why not set up a practice account on www.share.com and see how you get on without risking your own money.

thanks for the responses guys i very much appreciate all the advise so far i am an absolute beginner at this and am trying to purchase my first stock i have about 5K to invest any advise in terms of where i should be looking or any material i must read please let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

After my etrade.co.uk account was closed (etrade pulling out from the UK) and the absurd amount of documentation that I had been asked by TD Waterhouse (who took over) I have decided to look for a new broker....any advice? Is www.sharewatch.com reliable?

Thank you ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Very easy to open an account with them but never bought any shares. At the time shares were very low, bought some books on shares and while reading the books shares went even lower. RTE use them to quote their share prices.

• Advertisement
Advertisement