Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you buy shares?

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭plasmin

You will need AIB current account to buy shares on counter. Good luck
    jay0109 wrote: »
    Hi all

I'm looking to make a 1-off purchase of shares and then intend to hold them for a few years- dont need an online a/c to monitor them etc. Is going into an AIB branch the best option for someone like me and just paying an upfront purchase fee and then eventually an upfront sales fee.

Also, I don't have bank accounts with AIB so would that be a problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭plasmin

You will need AIB current account to buy shares on counter. Good luck
    jay0109 wrote: »
    Hi all

I'm looking to make a 1-off purchase of shares and then intend to hold them for a few years- dont need an online a/c to monitor them etc. Is going into an AIB branch the best option for someone like me and just paying an upfront purchase fee and then eventually an upfront sales fee.

Also, I don't have bank accounts with AIB so would that be a problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I bought shares in aib branch and a deposit a/c opened that day was sufficient , fees worked out around €100 for shares worth €3000 I seem to remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,816 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Little old this thread, but better than starting a new one.

I want to open an account online for trades - they are mainly going to be one off trades (i.e. invest now, redeem 2/3 years unless share price rockets). I've invested before but was when you could buy over the counter, which is not available anymore AFAIK.

Charges for companies seemed to differ quite a bit, for example one told me it's €26 a year annual fee, and then 1.25% commission up to 25k and 0.5% thereafter (with min of €32). Execution only account.

A second company has €20 per quarter and 0.5% for transactions €15 min. Execution only account

Have come across this company: http://www.tddirectinvesting.ie/ - does anyone know anything about them, flat 20 per trade seems reasonable, and 15 quid a quarter, I never heard of them before though so wondering if anyone has any experience dealing with them?

Regarding the above - does the commission apply to the buying and selling of the shares? would this be the norm for companies, or can I get better deals?

Thanks
    Ace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

TD lists their charges on website, E20 per trade is buy or sell AFAIK. E15 per quarter only applies if you've less than 5k worth in account.

You should search the forum. With a bit of scrolling you'd find this 13 page thread on TD...... http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056844033/13/#post92119068

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭otterj

What is the cheapest way to buy shares in a once off trade. I dont want to pay account/ admin fees for a one off trade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Did you read any of this thread??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hi,

Is there a quick and cheap way to get started with this for somebody who just wants to dabble while getting used to it?

Like could I just put €20 in somewhere, buy some shares, and if they go up sell and make a few quid to reinvest elsewhere?

I know absolutely nothing about this stuff, but would like to find out more and if there's a low barrier to entry I wouldn't mind having a look!

I read the first page of the thread, but it's 8 yrs old so I figure the technology has moved on considerably!

Is there an app where you can use fake shares or something actually?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Read this Dave! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057344424

I find that for a virtual portfolio, Yahoo is the most simple and easiest to follow with information added as well.

You will get nothing for e20, it would cost you that to buy, another 20 to sell, so to break even you would have to make 200% Profit. IMO, in Ireland, the minimum you should do in a trade is 1k, fees and expenses are too high to make a profit on any less.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭chair28

seeing as though the last reply was 3 years ago I'd like to hear the newest ways of buying shares and what rates they are charging? are there any hidden fees etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

chair28 wrote: »
    seeing as though the last reply was 3 years ago I'd like to hear the newest ways of buying shares and what rates they are charging? are there any hidden fees etc...

go online to any of the online brokers, some have quarterly charges, some charge a bit more to buy or to sell, they are all generally a fair price, td ameritrade, davey select, interactive brokers, etc

I use Firstrade, they suit me and I've been with them for over 10 years now, so know them by their first names if I have to call them over any funding or trade issue I may have. plus, they give me a big line of credit ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 EskimoErased

So I set up a Degiro account a few years back to buy some set-and-forget Vanguard ETFs. Since the start of the year, these are no longer available.

Is Degiro still a good option to try to find a replacement low cost index fund or am I better looking at some of the online brokers mentioned in the last comment here?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 TravelTiger

A timely bump on this thread

I want to invest upto 7 grand spread across 3 or 4 well known companies and not touch it then for at least 5 years

What's the easiest way - in 2020 - to do this online with a reputable company?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭minnow

A timely bump on this thread

I want to invest upto 7 grand spread across 3 or 4 well known companies and not touch it then for at least 5 years

What's the easiest way - in 2020 - to do this online with a reputable company?

Thanks

Set up DeGiro online account. Quick and cheap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 TravelTiger

minnow wrote: »
    Set up DeGiro online account. Quick and cheap.

Thanks

How much ID do they ask for to set up an account?

Advertisement