Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedensday,will it make 32c.(July)

Options
  • 19-07-2006 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭

Tuesday has given us 31c in some places.With the threat of some Turbulent weather approaching from the South and SW,will the cloud spoil Irelands highest temps for decades.
    As humidity is already on the increase,it will feel a lot heavier tomorrow for all.
    Post only Thunderstorm events to the TS thread on this forum,this thread only for potential excessive heat posts.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I thought 31.5c today would qualify as 32c? Maybe the treshold is 31.6c.
    I dunno, perhaps Mullingar for 32.0c tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

All decimal points count.33.3c is the record.33.4c will set a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Hi,

Its hot out there, although I dont know if it will break the official record or not, which is the 33.3 C one at Kilkenny Castle set in 188n. However, I dont know how accurate that was when compared with modern methods and I dont trust it. Does anybody know the high temp in Kilkenny that was recorded some time in the 1980's. Was it 1986 or something and around 32 - 33 C? That one for me is more trustworthy.

In terms of temps, one thing I noticed is not only the sea breeze cooling effect [and luckily for many people in Ireland we live within reach of that, although cities tend to be heat traps due to brickwork, buildings, etc] but also the large differential in the sea temps around the coast, where west coast figures are 17-18 C but the Irish sea on the east is as cold as 12 C (see M2). M2 is due east of Dublin. (See attachment).

Buoy Time Location Press Wind
    Direction Wind
    Speed Temp Dew
    Point Humidity Wave
    Period Wave
    Height Sea
    Temp
    GMT hPa o Kts oC oC % sec m oC
    M1
    62090 19 Jul
    7:00 53o 8'N
    11o 12'W 1013.0 130 4 18.2 16.2 88 5 1.4 17.3
    M2
    62091 19 Jul
    7:00 53o 28'N
    5o 26'W 1016.4 50 5 14.2 12.2 88 4 0.2 12.0
    M3
    62092 19 Jul
    7:00 51o 13'N
    10o 33'W 1011.2 130 n/a 18.0 16.7 92 5 1.6 17.1
    M4
    62093 19 Jul
    7:00 54o 40'N
    9o 4'W 1014.8 130 14 18.3 14.7 80 5 1.1 16.7
    M5
    62094 19 Jul
    7:00 51o 41'N
    6o 42'W 1014.4 110 11 18.6 16.4 87 3 0.6 17.8
    Marathon
    62023 19 Jul
    7:00 51o 24'N
    7o 54'W 1015.1 220 10 19.4 n/a n/a 4 0.9 n/a

See this link for the current temps:
    http://www.met.ie/latest/buoy.asp

This explains the cool temps recorded in Rosslare recently, but also Dublin which yesterday (Tue) in many parts and with more of a breeze felt cooler than the day before (Mon), especially anyone close to the coast. Casement is a good measure of 'inland' in the greater Dublin region as Dublin Airport gets more of the sea cooling effect but not it all by any measure.

I spotted on Dun Laoire Pier a local measure, its located at the original amometer on the east pier, and at 6:00pm it was a cool 14.4 C. Dublin Airport at the time ws 22 C. There was a bank of sea fog off to the east, no doubt created by this cool 12 C body of water and it waswafting over Dublin. Those out sailing were well wrapped up! The Irish sea will heat up and will get in balance with the Atlantic but at the moment its not catching as much gulf stream effect as elsewhere on Irish coasts.

Btw, where was the 31.5 recorded yesterday according to Met Eireann? According to their official stations, the max was 30.2 in Kilkenny.
    http://www.met.ie/latest/yesterday.asp
    I thought they weren't allowed to quote from unofficial stations. Do they have more which they aren't publishing? (Another topic, but I think they should have more, especially in population centres).

Enjoy the sun, as no matter what the numbers say, its hot out there, for Ireland, no matter where you are!

Redspider

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I believe Met said it was recorded in Athy, but I could have misheard them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I think 32C is possible but with more cloud maybe a bit beyond us. 30C I think will be reached:cool:

• Advertisement

Yes thats correct Alan.

Yesterdays highest temp was recorded in Athy co Kildare and not Laois.

The eagle said so last night.

32c is unlikely today-31 again at a push,I think but definitely 30 somewhere.

Danno wrote:

Hey is Mothmans on that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Snowbie wrote:
    Hey is Mothmans on that?

Note that map is well out of date, 1999.

My station was set up in 2001.

There are approx 100 climatological stations around the country.

Meanwhile, the temp got to 26C but is now slowly falling with the sea breeze.

Another cool night with min of 9.5C

Are there any more up-to-date maps?

• Advertisement

Danno wrote:
    Are there any more up-to-date maps?

Not that I'm aware of.

Temp still falling, now below 25C

irish1 wrote:
    I believe Met said it was recorded in Athy, but I could have misheard them.

Thanks for that irish1.

Thanks Danno for the link to the map of measuring stations.

One question though, I take it all the Climatological stations are automatics, but are their figures published on a regular basis? I havent seen their data but maybe I havent looked hard enough.

And how reliable are they in comparison to a full weather station? Is the one in Athy located close to the motorway? All that black tar creates a quasi micro-climate in the vicinity.

Mind you, the country is full of micro-climates, but its the general measurement which is of use for comparison purposes. My car for example has a nice miroclimate today of 40C plus!

Speaking of temps, today seems warmer in Dublin than yesterday.

Redspider

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Gotten cloudy now in Galway.
    Still feels very warm but I noticed my car says it's only 21.5 now.

Snowbie wrote:
    Hey is Mothmans on that?

LoL

It's dated april '99 you'd think they'd update it after 7 years :rolleyes:

Mothmans isnt on that,as he said.

Seán Kents is on it there in Arklow alright.It's on Ballymoyle hill and I'm told the dryest station met Éireann have.

redspider wrote:

And how reliable are they in comparison to a full weather station? Is the one in Athy located close to the motorway? All that black tar creates a quasi micro-climate in the vicinity.
    The met ones including mothmans would be professional set ups,well maintained and regularally physically inspected by Met Éireann as well as the site owner.The thermometers located in proper stevenson screens for example.
    So yes they are as accurate as you can get.

Here is mothmans set up .

Mine is a Davis vantage pro2 located out in a field exposed to any sea breeze that there and its online here

That updates every 25 seconds sometimes every 1 min or so depending on what my broadband is doing.
    You will need macromedia flash to view it , and you must wait for the media presentation to load when you click on the link.

Yes, I'd forgotten I'd that page up. Thank's EM

11z
    Casement 29C
    Belmullet and Birr 28C

Belmullet very near to station record of 28.7C. Station opened Sept 1956.

Hovering 25/26C with me.

Mothman wrote:
    Hovering 25/26C with me.
    Steady at 23.7c here but with the tiniest of a sea breeze at 6mph so that could make it above 25 today which will be a new record here since records began (last october :D)

You would think they would get you a lightning detector as i need another two in this country to triangulate strikes to make them even more accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

It's been cloudy in Dublin city centre since yesterday morning. Is there any chance of it clearing before the good weather ends? :(

Hazy, breezy and 27.7c here at 1300z.

• Advertisement

Hottest spot at the moment appears to be Baldonnell (casement) in Dublin at 29c-that will surely go over 30 and maybe 31c.

I wouldnt be surprised if Dublin airport reached 27 or 28c as its a bit inland and already at 25c

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Abit hazy here but warm as it has been all week.

The sea breeze though is keeping away the extreme temperatures.

Currently 22.5c:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

why oh why did i wear black :|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No chance of a Waterford City record today - its clouded over and the breeze is on the cool side! Proberly only about 22 I'd say.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I'd like to remind everyone that Universal Time Coordinated (GMT) is 1 hour behind us in summer, when we use Central European Time.

Met Éireann's latest weather reports are recorded in UTC. That's why the Rainfall Radar looks as if it updates slower than the UKMO one.

Very hot here now but not as hot as only six miles inland of here.

Just been west of Coolgreaney(north co wexford) and my jeep thermometer just kept climbing.
    It started out at 25c then 27,then 29c and by the time I got to where I was going just 6 miles west of here 31c! and though here feels like an oven,that felt like an oven.

Apoligies for the dust but the jeep has no air con so the windows were down :D

I've never seen that recorded on my jeep before.

convection.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

was going to bring the kids camping today cavan area. Is it wise?

Looks like there will be no record today or even a 32. I'd be surprised if 31.5 was breached anywhere today which is what Athy got yesterday (seemingly).

Casement has cooled from 29 to 27.
    Clones is the hottest at 29C at 1300 UTC.
    Kilkenny is 25, Birr 26.

Earthman wrote:
    Hottest spot at the moment appears to be Baldonnell (casement) in Dublin at 29c-that will surely go over 30 and maybe 31c. I wouldnt be surprised if Dublin airport reached 27 or 28c as its a bit inland and already at 25c

Nothing is sure in Irish weather, not even the rain! Dublin Airport is now 25 which will probably be its peak as it cools (slightly) in the afternoon and on towards evening.

enjoy ....

Redspider

ps: as for camping in Cavan with kids, there is no good time of year for that. For the sun, just put plenty of sun block on and make sure they wear T-shirts and get some shade at times. Ice cream also helps in several ways!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

The thermometer on my audi read 26.5c when I was outside in the short term carpark of Dublin Airport and it read 24.5c when I got back to the car about 1.40pm after it was parked in the shade for about an hour in one of the multistorey carpark blocks. On a side note I have never seen so many hot women in skimpy shorts and tops with beautiful tans in one place. All those Spanish Italian and Eastern European honeys arriving and departing at the airport. Hot and bothered in more ways than one I was! :D People sat down on verges everywhere sunning themselves.

• Advertisement

Maybe I spoke too soon about it cooling down, as Casement has just shot up 3C!

Casement now 30C at 1400 UTC
    Finner in 2nd at 29C
    Clones cooling slightly to 28C

Dublin Airport still at 25C, athough by all accounts its hotter in other ways. I prefer the latter measurements!

Redspider

Advertisement