Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preparing for a storm

Options
  • 19-07-2006 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭

Other than candles etc...

I live on top of a hill, 425m elev, only building around. On top of the house is a 5ft wireless broadband antennae.

So, impending storm, I live in the southwest, how do I best protect the kiddies and my expensive house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Put up a 10ft lightning rod on top of/near the house! :D:D:D

God bless CH!

I would disconnect everything and seriously vacate the premises. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

ch750536 wrote:
    Other than candles etc...

I live on top of a hill, 425m elev, only building around. On top of the house is a 5ft wireless broadband antennae.

So, impending storm, I live in the southwest, how do I best protect the kiddies and my expensive house?

Do not want to alarm you in any way but that is like reaching out to touch lightning WITHIN the clouds.
    I know the highest point for your broadband would be at the top of your house to receive a better signal,but Take it down and install it at the side of the house at least.
    Another would be the use of a conductor as you are that high up on a hillside would pass lightning to the ground were it can be Earthed.Assuming the worse if it did strike.
    High metal objects are the best for attracting lightning in this case your antannae.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

May I recommend disconnecting all broadband related equipment from your PC and routers etc. Also power down the PC and completely isolate it from everything if possible.

Don't use the landline during the storm only a handset (carry round phone) or a mobile. I know of a person who got knocked unconscious by a lightning strike while using her landline phone during a lightning storm once.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Lightning is no stranger to mobile phones either... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5106510.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Is a lightning conductor something I can make myself, today for example?

It does concern me, only lived here for a year and not had a storm yet. Nearest neighbours (500m away) were struck in a storm 2 years ago.

We're often in the cloud, probably 20 days a year. If the storm clouds are low is this a bigger issue?

Thanks for all the help so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Remember the last thing you wish to do is attract the lightning too.But for safety sake.

http://www.ecclescourt.ie/lightningprotection.htm

Give these people a shout sometime today and they can assist you further,there the experts in lightning protection.

Advertisement