Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6-month check on rented accommodation?

Options
  • 19-07-2006 7:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

My Landlord has just rang and told me she wants to do a 6 month check on the house i'm renting, is this the norm? I've never heard of it, invasion of my privacy I think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

It's normal. Make sure the place is clean. You might have something to complain about if she came round with no notice.

LK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

I have never heard of it but I think its fair enough. The landlord has a right to make sure their property is being kept in a relatively okay condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Afuera

You have to allow access for the landlord to perform inspections on their property. You need to give permission to the landlord before they can access their property though and therefore you can dictate a time and date that would suit you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 teagan

Was just curious about this "routine 6 month check up" cos neither me or any of my friends had ever come across this before. If it's normal practice I suppose I don't mind it as much...still going to find it a bit weird though.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

check your lease, but a 6 month check initially then yearly is a very standard in the industry. I even insist on 3 month checks for doubtfull tenants initially but if i have a chance to be in the house on other business and see the place is generally well kept i wont bother disturbing them with the 3 month check.

If you are looking after the place then there should be no problems. The check usually consists of a very brief walk around and look into each room from the doorway. If everything is structurally sound then no problems. Dont worry about place not being spotless, this is not what landlords are looking for, it is expensive damage that is being checked for.

I have a bunch of guys witha band in one house (in the country) and the room is filled (and i mean filled) with folded sheets around the room for insulation. No probs!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 teagan

No rooms filled with sheets with me, the house is spotlessly clean....thought I was being singled out for some reason, once it happens everywhere I'm Happy:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I think it's actually a really good sign. Makes a change from all the absentee landlords who don't give a **** about their properties, never set foot inside them and let them go to absolute ****.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Professional rental management companies typically check every 3 months.

It is actually a good thing, in my case they actually use independent people to do the inspection. They are only looking for the major structural things like:

- All radiators working and not leaking
    - Fire alarms working
    - water pipes, etc. not leaking
    - Any painting need to be done
    - Gutters clear

They aren't looking for tidiness, however I usually use it as an excuse to get my house mates to help do a really good proper cleaning.

If you are a decent tenant it is to your benefit, you can give them any complaints you have or anything you want fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭paddyman

Nothing strange about this or are you been singled out. I cant imagine that the landlord is going to be anal about the place been untidy or anything but out of decency you should give the place a quick cleaning, just wants to check out the place and make sure its been taking care of.

To be honest 6 months for an initial inspection of the house is even a long enough period, as said some will do 3 months initially and if all is well then maybe 6 months, then you wont see them again for a year.

You dont even have to be there if you dont want but use it to your advantage too, if theres something you want fixed or are not happy with then its a perfect time to bring it up.

Advertisement