Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Appollon Limassol Vs Cork City CLQR1

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

johnos wrote:
    Now, what's a gowl?

Its used similar to langer, as in "go away an fcuk off ya gowl ya", or "go on ya gowl"..

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Roar wrote:
    Its used similar to langer, as in "go away an fcuk off ya gowl ya", or "go on ya gowl"..

:D
    But doesn't it mean the complete opposite of langer?

Langer = dick
    Gowl = gee

All these people saying the league has progressed, well, and I'm not trying to take away from City here, far be it from me to do that, the league's representatives in the CL last season got to the second qualifying stage too. Have people forgotten? The only difference is that Shelbourne were seeded thanks to the results against Split and Coruna the previous season (we had our own better co-eff). Now hopefully City can go and get a decent result against Red Star - is the first leg at Turner's X or in Belgrade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Bateman wrote:
    I was going nuts for RTE to whole the ruck at the end, but their camera was focussed on the half way line. There's nothing like followign your team on a good European away trip, fair play to Cork they've given their fans another one to look forward to. I would still be wary about "summer soccer has given us great progress" etc, unless Cork actually eliminate Red Star I'm not so sure we've made dramatic progress. Sure we are beating a few teams above us, and we are improving the co-efficient all the time, but unless Cork beat Red Star we are back in our box really.

I dunno, I think Cork and other EL teams have progressed well over the past few seasons in Europe. The EL sides in Europe are now more professional, disciplined and focused. As long as the EL stays healthy and competitive all bodes well for the future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

To be blunt about it, if a team won in Europe before, it was seen as a minor miracle, whereas now it is entirely expected to win at least one round.

The fact that this co-incides with the summer season did not happen by accident. If Im not wrong, this is the 4th season on the trot the eL champs have progressed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Which also coincides with these clubs going professional. Summer soccer helps us in Europe, but it is not the only reason for our improvements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I won money and all those negative corkeenies and people here thinking that Apollon were gonna win....pfft :)

/€35 btw which i will bet on Cork to win the 1st leg and hopefully its a big enough to get them tru as i ant see them winning away, hopefully they wont need to.

Well done Cork paid for the Kdjac familys bus and rail ticket to Bray on sunday :D

And another bright spot for me is that our game vs them will be moved so with the **** run of form we on the thoughts of Derry and Cork away in consecutive weeks wasnt a happy thought tho we suaully only need 9 men to beat cork down there ;)

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Hi All,
    If anyone thinks it would be better to start a new thread with this then go ahead.

Just wanted to ask Cork fans what they make of the loss of Gamble amd Murphy for the next matches.
    Obviously Cork aren't expected to progress(again) but losing two good players is a kick in the teeth nonetheless, especially as it happened after full time.
    Do Cork have decent replacements or a team they can shuffle around or do these losses leave them very light?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

gosplan wrote:
    Hi All,
    If anyone thinks it would be better to start a new thread with this then go ahead.

Just wanted to ask Cork fans what they make of the loss of Gamble amd Murphy for the next matches.
    Obviously Cork aren't expected to progress(again) but losing two good players is a kick in the teeth nonetheless, especially as it happened after full time.
    Do Cork have decent replacements or a team they can shuffle around or do these losses leave them very light?

From what i have heard no reason was given for the red cards and no mention of any attack in the refs report, im sure cork have appealed them based on reports of disgruntled home players.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Missed the game as I was playing my own match but it's a good result for Cork .
    If Murphy and Gamble are gone for Cork in the first leg it's going to make things extremly tough .

If the appeals are unsuccesful you'd have to heavily favour Crvena zvezda , and they would have been favourites already .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

They're favourites but coming to Cork in the middle of summer, think 4 or 5 of their players just finished Serbia's awful World Cup(yes I can see positives in the fact they have full internationals).

Well, it's not beyond Cork to get a result in the first leg and if that's possible then they can go through.

I don't think the Serbians will come all guns blazing given the timing for them and everything, Cork will probably be restricted to 1 or 2 chances though and they'll have to take them.

Rico on Setanta
    Cork City to appeal red cards
    Thursday, 20 July 21:19 BST

Cork City manager Damien Richardson has confirmed that the eircom League champions will be appealing the red cards shown to Joe Gamble and Danny Murphy during the second leg of their first round Champions League qualifier on Wednesday night.

The Irish club progressed through the next stage of the competition on the night courtesy of a stunning away goal from captain Dan Murray, but the result was tainted when the Dubliner discovered on Thursday morning that two of his players had been given their marching orders after the game had finished.

Speaking to Setanta Sports' The Hub the Leesiders boss explained events from his point of view.

"When the referee blew the final whistle, Danny Murphy - because he was the nearest player to the Apollon bench - received some very vociferous and some physical attention from the bench.

"One individual on the bench actually came out and grabbed a hold of him and started dragging him around. He was then joined by four or five players from the bench and one of the players from the team.

"Danny Murphy then found himself circled by opposition officials and players and some of our players went in and pulled people apart.

"One of the Apollon officials then got a hold of Danny, protected from the other players and handed him over to me.

"In the aftermath of all that, or maybe in the throws of it, the referee sent two of my players and two of the Apollon players off.

"I spoke with the referee as we left the pitch and congratulated him on the excellent game he had. He said to me: "Congratulations coach" and he never mentioned that two of my players had been sent off so I don't believe they had been red carded at that point.

"I think something happened after the game that made the referee think that he had to do something because of the extraordinary scenes that took place, essentially and principally because of the disappointment and ill discipline of the Apollon team and officials."

However, what disappointed Richardson the most was the total lack of communication over the red cards, something that he found incredible.

"We found out amazingly on Thursday morning when I got a text from the eircom League informing me that two of my players had been sent off," he continued.

"The procedure is that if players are sent off after the game has ended then someone comes and knocks on the door and tells someone that it has happened.

"You have to be told and we were never told - I've checked with my backroom staff. None of us were told. The fact that there were two players sent off from both sides, it seems that some sort of balancing act has been done.

"We will be appealing the red cards - I've no shadow of doubt about that - but what good that will do, I'm not too sure."

Despite the controversy, the former Shelbourne and Shamrock Rovers boss still found time to reiterate his delight over coming through the first round of the competition.

He added: "Some of those players did not handle the disappointment of the goal going in in a professional manner, but from my point of view, we were completely professional and it just shows how far League of Ireland football has progressed."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

O'Callaghan
    O'Flynn
    O'Brien
    Gamble
    Murphy

Those are 5 players that are among the best in the country.

Unless we get a few massive breaks in the next few days, the Red Star match could be very unpleasent.:(

And why isn't O Brien playing?

I read it in a paper somewhere. Hopefully Im wrong cause we have feck all options.

Well the paper is wrong. O Brien picked up a booking in the 2nd leg, not both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭radiospan

Red Star game is sold out already. (Tickets only went on sale this morning)

City have been given a retail outlet on the Patricks Street in Cork which is prime retail area.

This was where most of the tickets were sold and it was a great gesture from Owen O'Callaghan to give the building rent free until December.

Advertisement