Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlingford Lough

Options
  • 19-07-2006 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Looking for some advice about camping in Louth.

Can anyone advise on any campsites on Carlingford Lough? I checked Camping-ireland.ie and the only campsite I can fine in North Louth is Gyles Quay, Riverstown, Dundalk. Is this on Carlingford Lough?

Also, what is Carlingford lough like for Boating and Kayaking? The reason I ask is I sailed into the lough to the Marina several years ago against the tide and the flow was really strong at the mouth of the lough. Are there strong currents further into the lough? I believe Carlingford Adventure do a lot of water sports including Kayaking and windsurfing so I assume there must be some safe area's.
    I'm not looking for general advice about water safety as I have been sailing, boating and Kayaking for a number of years. Just looking for specific information on the lough.

Also, are there any public slipways in the area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Gyles Quay (my home house!) is about 6 miles from Carlingford, I would've thought that there would have been a camping facilities around Carlingford itself - but now that you mention it I can't think of any. The campsite you've mentioned is about 30 secs walk from the sea too, so maybe that might even suit you. There is a slipway you can use (and many do) but this is only good for when the tide is in. There's not really a whole lot to do around the Quay but the campsite has fantastic facilities and has a chippie, shop and a late opening clubhouse.

I have no experience with the sailing questions in Carlingford you have, but there are always people out surfing and what-have-you, so I'd probably ask them or maybe even ring the adventure centre, I'm sure someone would give you a heads-up.

Advertisement