Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Max Wall Height

Options
  • 19-07-2006 9:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

Does anyone know the max height allowance of a back garden boundary wall? Current wall is about 4ft. I'm thinking of putting a bamboo fence/cover over the existing wall, I would like to go up to 6 or 7ft with this but I don’t want to take the p!ss with the neighbors either, what do you think?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Best to ask your local council for a defo answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

As Delly said it definitely depends on your specific council. However, in most cases I've seen it is approx 6 feet.

I had the same question myself last year and we've gone to 6 feet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Six standard blocks high is what it can be without seeking planning permisson.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,404 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Six standard blocks high is what it can be without seeking planning permisson.

Seems a little lower than I would of thought. Only 1350mm (4'6").

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

2 metres is the maximum height allowed. See here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dmck

Cheers folks,

Very helpful.

Regards,
    D

• Registered Users Posts: 46,130 ✭✭✭✭muffler

smashey wrote:
    2 metres is the maximum height allowed. See here
    Spot on smashey, you are learning fast but then again you had a good tutor/advisor ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Scober11

Generally speaking, if its a 4 inch wall then only four courses high , anything higher should be switched to 9 inch blockwork.

Scober11 wrote:
    Generally speaking, if its a 4 inch wall then only four courses high , anything higher should be switched to 9 inch blockwork.
    Where on earth did you discover this.

Click on the link given in smasheys post above and I think you will find you are wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 39,404 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Scober11 wrote:
    I hope i'm miss understanding you there.
    A 4" wall? I suppose you mean 4" thick. Standard blocks are 4" thick. But mentioned switching to blocks over four courses.
    I hope you weren't talking about a 4" thick wall constructed out of 4 courses of bricks.

I'm sure we just misunderstodd you. Not trying to offend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

dmck wrote:
    ... I'm thinking of putting a bamboo fence/cover over the existing wall...

I fully understand what the others have posted about height of block walls, but I was under the impression that since you were extending the height using Bamboo (or equiv) that there was no height restriction because it is temporary.

Is this not the case?

L.

nereid wrote:
    I fully understand what the others have posted about height of block walls, but I was under the impression that since you were extending the height using Bamboo (or equiv) that there was no height restriction because it is temporary.

Is this not the case?

L.
    2 metres max height is the max. exempted allowance. Materials dont matter nor time scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

muffler wrote:
    2 metres max height is the max. exempted allowance. Materials dont matter nor time scale.

Cool.

What about trees/creeping plants then in that case.

You could put up a trelis to 2m in height and grow some grape vines along it and that would give you plenty of privacy while not being overbearing like ivy is.

L.

Advertisement