Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Takeaway Cartons?(USA v Ireland)

• 19-07-2006 10:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭

I Was wondering does anyone know of a chinese takeaway in Dublin that use this type carton as used in America?.

As opposed to these cartons that are used in Ireland.

I would much prefer to recieve my chinese takeaway 'American style'. Which would you prefer?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Try http://www.letseatin.ie/. They use the American-style cartons.

TBH - I couldn't give a fiddler's elbow what style of carton the food comes in as long as it made from decent ingredients & tastes good.

(A recyclable carton would obviously be preferable.)

Maybe try this post in Fashion/Appearance?

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

The irish one keeps food hot for ages. I don't see the benifit of the american one..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

The irish one keeps food hot for ages. I don't see the benifit of the american one..

The silver ones here are lethal. You can cut your fingers on the sharp corners and you cant eat from the carton as you'll scald yourself. You have a point about keeping it hot but i presume theres a foil inside the american cardboard version to do the same trick, im sure theyre onto that.

Thanks for the link Hill Billy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

LOL.....you call yourself a poker player who are meant to be observant,alert and able to spot patterns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

hmmm i've never got a chinese in one of those foil containers. Indian yeah. All the Chineses I've had takeaway from use the plastic tubs. They can come in handy later but sooner or later they pile up and you end up throwing a load of them in the bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

Sorry can some one show me a pic of an american style cartoon, I have never seen one !

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

The silver ones here are lethal. You can cut your fingers on the sharp corners and you cant eat from the carton as you'll scald yourself. You have a point about keeping it hot but i presume theres a foil inside the american cardboard version to do the same trick, im sure theyre onto that.

Thanks for the link Hill Billy.

They don't have any foil, see here. They're just cardboard cos it's cheaper.

And I seriously doubt anyone has ever died from a chinese takeaway carton.

And I seriously doubt anyone has ever died from a chinese takeaway carton.
    Not unless McGyver got his mitts on it first. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭noeleenred

I would love to get my chinese in the paper boxes. I wonder can you buy them in oriental food shops and put your own cooking in it !!

That'd be as good as eating Donegal Catch & McCain's Oven Chips out of a copy of The Irish Times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

People should remember that Chinese food in the US is NOTHING like it is here!!! most importantly they do not have curry :D

Anyway their food is more noodle/rice/vegetable etc based... ours is more sauce based. You do not get much sauce over there at all so the carboard containers are ideal. I think their food is a little more authentic becuase there are so many chinese living there for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

They have Curry in Indians, where it belongs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

I have seen those !! only in the films , I thought they were an "all in one" type thing where you get the whole meal in the one box, whereas my local u get the rice and meat in seperate containers.

The american ones I associate with noodles as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

Saruman wrote:
    People should remember that Chinese food in the US is NOTHING like it is here!!!

You're right, ours is pumped full of M.S.G. yummy yummy....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Dub13 wrote:
    LOL.....you call yourself a poker player who are meant to be observant,alert and able to spot patterns.
    Keep whatever agenda you have with the OP out of this thread, please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Archeron

Sharwoods have a product called "noodle box" in the supermarkets now. It comes in those American style containers, which is the reason why I bought one. Not cheap at €2.69 for a single serving of noodles, and IMO, they arent very nice either.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭whykay

My parents own their own business, and we have been using plastic containers with plastic lids. We use to use the tin foil ones, but we found that it was more hygenic to use plastic containers for main dishes. Since proportions are generous, and sauce is important, and the plastic containers hold the contents in better. Plus you can re-heat the food in the plastic container, and you can re-use the plastic containers when you are finished with the takeaway. The only reason why other places use the tin foil containers (not just Chinese, but Indian, Italian and plenty other ethnic takeaways as well) is that it's cheaper. Running a business is not easy, and trying to make a profit is anyone's goal who owns one, so cost of containers are part and parcel of the cost of running a catering business.

So unless the price is more acceptable to businesses (mainly family run establishments), I think many would still continue to use the tin foil containers. Or if customers willing to pay more for their food so they can have fancier American style containers or plastic containers. Maybe you might want to try and ask the staff nicely about it, and see if they would change containers. :)

Advertisement