Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Then what happens?

Options
  • 19-07-2006 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

So once you get your results what happens next?

I mean when do the first round offers come out?
    What do you do if you do get your first choice and what happens if you don't?
    When are all the rechecks?

Im so confused about what you have to do once the results are out! I know its early but hey may as well be prepared i suppose!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

eh ok, from what i know

results out on Wednesday 16th, 1st round offers the next Tuesday? If you didnt get your 1st choice, you simply dont get an offer for it. you get an offer for the 1st course on your list that you got the points for.. if that makes sense.

i have no idea about 2nd round offers, im sure someone does though.

and on the day we get the results, you get a form, and you tick the papers that you want to see.
    then they come back to the school, and you can look at them on Friday 1st and Sat 2nd of September (if you#re going to the electric picnic, forget about seeing your papers... ) and then decide if you want them rechecked or not.
    your subject teacher will probably look at it with you, and help decide if theres any point getting it rechecked or not.

thats pretty much all i know.

4 weeks today... madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

Long time since I did my leaving but as well as offers being posted out to you the points for all courses were (and maybe still are?) published in the Irish Times on the Saturday (oh god, still remember going in to work on the Saturday morning and my dad waiting there with the just delivered newspapers to see if I'd gotten in to college!) so you can figure out pretty much if you're going to get an offere for your choices by comparing the amount of points you got to what's in the paper. Of course in this day and age it's possible they have some kind of online version of this now.

Have you looked at the CAO website? Any chance they say anything that clear and concise and doesn't make you more confused?

Good luck to everyone with their results. Have a nephew waiting on his (I'm feeling very old now) so am glad of the heads-up on when they'll be out. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Pez

i thought the points cum out the day after the results???? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

Im glad to see im not the only one confused!! I think the courses do come out in the paper first! AHHHHH!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

See the CAO Handbook pages 14 and 15
    http://www2.cao.ie/handbook.php?page=page14
    http://www2.cao.ie/handbook.php?page=page15

Leaving Cert results come out on Wednesday 16 August. The points for each course are then decided during a conference over the weekend,
    The round one points go in the papers, online and the post on Monday 21 August. You will be offered the highest courses on your list that you have the points for - one level 8 course, and one level 7/6 course. You then have until the end of August (date will be on the offer) to reply to CAO with whichever course you want. You can change your mind (between the two courses you were offered, or indeed refusal of both courses) as much as you like until 5.15 on the final day.

Then the 2nd round comes in September, and if you now qualify for a course higher up on your list than the one you were originally offered, you will be offerred the opportunity to switch to it - you can stay where you are if you'd prefer.

Rechecks are like Rockerette says. If you qualify for a higher course on your list when the rechecks come back (in mid-October), you have three option: switch to the new course having missed the first couple of weeks; stay where you are; or accept a guaranteed deferred place on the new course for next year's cycle (ie starting in September 2007).

All the rounds after the second round work like this too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

Thats brilliant thanks!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 crouch

d4gurl wrote:
    So once you get your results what happens next?

i'll probably shove my results in the face of the teachers who doubted me then head off to the pub for a major session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

crouch wrote:
    i'll probably shove my results in the face of the teachers who doubted me then head off to the pub for a major session.
    Yup I wud like to do the same to a few of my teachers. Esp my geog teacher who told me that I was unable for higher level geog!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

I am just wondering today do I still want to get my first choice! I am not 100% now. I was earlier on in the year. I might rahter my second choice. I am confident of being offered my first. Is there anyway I can get my second?

NADA wrote:
    I am just wondering today do I still want to get my first choice! I am not 100% now. I was earlier on in the year. I might rahter my second choice. I am confident of being offered my first. Is there anyway I can get my second?
    It's theoretically possible to move down your list, but it's not something you can really count on at all. The handbook is very negative about it: "Under no circumstances will [an applicant] later be offered a lower preference." So doesn't sound great. :( What specific courses have you got down? Is your first one likely to be higher in points than your second one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 xXJemXx

so what day do the points cum out in the papers? the monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

16th isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

Kwekubo wrote:
    The points for each course are then decided during a conference over the weekend.

No they're not. The points are decided by the number of applicants for each course and the points they get. For example Arts in UCD has 500 places but there are 1000 applicants (1st choice). They accept the 500 applicants with the highest points. The required points that will be in the papers is the points that the last person who was accepted into that course got. ie everyone who got higher was accepted and anyone lower didnt get an offer for that course.

So basically, for those who didnt know it is that we are really in competition with each other for places. Its strange to think about it. Nobody decides the results only ourselves.

xXJemXx wrote:
    so what day do the points cum out in the papers? the monday?

Results on Wednesday 16th.
    1st round offers on internet on Mon 21st (points in paper also but just because you get the points doesnt mean you got your course you stiull need to meet requirements. ie pass irish eng and maths).
    Offers can then be accepted online but will arrive in post either on Tue 22nd or Thur 23rd.

And then the race for accomodation starts.:D :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

whassupp2 wrote:
    Results on Wednesday 16th.
    1st round offers on internet on Mon 21st (points in paper also but just because you get the points doesnt mean you got your course you stiull need to meet requirements. ie pass irish eng and maths).
    Offers can then be accepted online but will arrive in post either on Tue 22nd or Thur 23rd.

And then the race for accomodation starts.:D :D:D

I assume your using that as just an example, not all courses have these requirements.

I assume your using that as just an example, not all courses have these requirements.

Ya just as an example. but i've heard of cases where people have looked at the newspaper and saw they got the points. they then check internet and see no offer. The reason they didnt get an offer is they payed no attention to entry requirments.

whassupp2 wrote:
    No they're not. The points are decided by the number of applicants for each course and the points they get.
    Yeah but they hold a conference over the weekend to finalise all the numbers and to discuss other stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

Kwekubo wrote:
    It's theoretically possible to move down your list, but it's not something you can really count on at all. The handbook is very negative about it: "Under no circumstances will [an applicant] later be offered a lower preference." So doesn't sound great. :( What specific courses have you got down? Is your first one likely to be higher in points than your second one?

Computer Science German and Linuistics in Trinity is my first and engineering mysecond. Points for the second choice are slightly higher but I probably god enough for that too.

Advertisement