Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real or Fake?

• 19-07-2006 11:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

Have a look at the vids made by this girl:
    http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=lonelygirl15

Looking through them, I think it's a fake. They're too well scripted and edited. Espec the Hiking video. Very Dawson's creekish.

So after emo kid and now this (assuming it's fake, what y'all think?), is the new you tube craze going to be Fake Lifes on Tape? Film students finding a quick and cheap medium for their output? Clever marketing by youtube to get site traffic?

Oh, and use some tweezers girl!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

She's cute :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭EWheelChair

Real or fake, why would anyone watch that tripe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

^^^ I concur

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

irlrobins wrote:
    Clever marketing by youtube to get site traffic?

In case you hadnt noticed, this is what youtube is for. All viral companys use Youtube and Google video to plant their viral campaigns (eg lynx click etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Yea, that is what i was thinking. Be interesting to see who is behind it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

The first one didn't even look like she actually was 15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

irlrobins wrote:
    Have a look at the vids made by this girl:
    http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=lonelygirl15

Looking through them, I think it's a fake. They're too well scripted and edited. Espec the Hiking video. Very Dawson's creekish.

So after emo kid and now this (assuming it's fake, what y'all think?), is the new you tube craze going to be Fake Lifes on Tape? Film students finding a quick and cheap medium for their output? Clever marketing by youtube to get site traffic?

Oh, and use some tweezers girl!

im lost. whats it about?

Watch the vids.

Are they real vids of a home schooled kid stuck in her room with her best (male) friend who later turns out to have the hots for her?

Or are they carefully staged viral vids?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

It's just like watching the real life oc ....nobody knows what the hell they're on about :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Real or fake? Who cares?? :D

And she's only 15? Now i just feel dirty, i'd be all over her like a rat on a cheeto!!!!

• Advertisement

Dragan wrote:
    And she's only 15? Now i just feel dirty, i'd be all over her like a rat on a cheeto!!!!
    In that case better hope it's a fake and that she's a college student. That way you can feel less guilty about your impure thought. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

This is the most disappointing thread ever :( I was expecting it to be a big boobs question (big real or big fake style). Spending too much time in Slydice maybe? I can't view youtube at work as it's blocked so haven't seen the vid, but judging by the comments it's not what I expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

erm, no, im not going to watch the videos.

but do i get this right, we are wondering about some chick just talking about her life on a web cam?

i mean, are our lives that boring. surely this is just reality tv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Of course its fake.. I mean look at this guy..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wGR4-SeuJ0

We are expected to believe hes a real shop manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Hobbes wrote:
    We are expected to believe hes a real shop manager.

Are you trying to tell me Darth Vader is not the shop manager?

Dragan wrote:
    Are you trying to tell me Darth Vader is not the shop manager?
    No, he's the day shift manager. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

fake or not, what gets me is the bloody girl is so popular, thousands watch her videos for what!! There are many other much better video blogs or diaries worth watching.
    I think this guy brilliant. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBB2ry3R9Aw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

jor el wrote:
    This is the most disappointing thread ever :( I was expecting it to be a big boobs question (big real or big fake style).
    I was expecting boobies too :(

Well here are some real boobs for you so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

rofl, has to be a pisstake. For a start its called "boy problems" and she yammers on about yer wan, then halfway through goes, oh yeah Daniel could be watching this. hahahaha

but wtf is the purpose of this anyway?

EDIT make sure you watch "Grillz feat. Danielbeast, LG15, P. Monkey, and O'n." : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pE9uwYqbQs

wtf is i can say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Day-wanna-wonga

Fake - the hiking MV was too well edited. It was better than most of the sh*te posted on the Video forum by Lump and Achilles, FFS.

It was better than most of the sh*te posted on the Video forum by Lump and Achilles, FFS.
    Lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

Since this thread seems to have become a bunch of links to youtube videos that have nothing to do with the OP, I might as well point out Ask a Ninja.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭StephenC_IRL

theres obviously a light shield targeting her face, the diting is too well done, it has to be fake, theres probably subliminal messages or advertising embedded somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

it's stupidly boring to watch anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Nehpets wrote:
    it's stupidly boring to watch anyway
    Ain't that the truth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

irlrobins wrote:
    Well here are some real boobs for you so.
    *Falls of chair*

Christ... i didnt need to see that last thing before bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

at first i thought real, but now i definately think fake. i mean just look at the quality of the video compared to ANY other video blog up there - it's absolutely perfect, not at all grainy or whatever. the whole 'setting' looks too perfect also, the position of the camera in relation to her, etc etc etc....fake!!!!

• Advertisement

Saw it on the guardian, tbh I didn't watch any of her youtubes at all as the one I did watch was boring.

But anyone know what exactly the story is about? Rumours I can find is it is for a horror movie as she has a shrine to Crowley in the corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

Sorry, I don't watch youtube videos that much but I've seen this story a bit.
    What happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

No idea what youre on about, have you got links?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭SingingCherry

Links would be good since I had been watching her videos for the past while. I thought she was fake (she was too normal and rehearsed for a 16 year old) but I didn't know for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Heres the profile for the account.

Watched one or two of the videos, they're quite boring.
    Just read an article about it, turns out even her "fansite" was created a month before her first video even went up, and watching the videos you can tell somethings suspicious about it. Will be interesting to see whos behind it and what its building up to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Who is Lonelygirl15, and whats the deal?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Who is Lonelygirl15, and whats the deal?
    Click

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

And this drivel is going to launch her to stardom????
    Then again in america................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

it was so fake, you could tell by watching it. i thought maybe the first one i watched was ok, then i started to hate it and get really pissed off it was so obviously staged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Oh my there is a fair amount of angry people after finding this out. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

lol I was linked to her piece on Pluto's decommisioning as the 9th planet the other week....definitely was something fishy...too nicey nicey, too perfect...it almost seemed scripted.

So youtube attention whoring is the new black?

Come back Sandi Thom, all is forgiven *

*Alll may not actually be forgiven.

[edit] http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,1868353,00.html

Full story. Also some interesting stuff on the wiki page

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

To Our Incredible Fans,

Thank you so much for enjoying our show so far. We are amazed by the overwhelmingly positive response to our videos; it has exceeded our wildest expectations. With your help we believe we are witnessing the birth of a new art form. Our intention from the outset has been to tell a story-- A story that could only be told using the medium of video blogs and the distribution power of the internet. A story that is interactive and constantly evolving with the audience.

Right now, the biggest mystery of Lonelygirl15 is "who is she?" We think this is an oversimplification. Lonelygirl15 is a reflection of everyone. She is no more real or fictitious than the portions of our personalities that we choose to show (or hide) when we interact with the people around us. Regardless, there are deeper mysteries buried within the plot, dialogue, and background of the Lonelygirl15 videos, and many of our tireless and dedicated fans have unearthed some of these. There are many more to come.

To enhance the community experience of Lonelygirl15, which you have already helped to create, we are in the process of building a website centered around video and interactivity. This website will allow everyone to enjoy the full potential of this new medium. Unfortunately, we aren't programmers. We are filmmakers. We are working furiously to complete the website, and hope to have it up and running shortly.

So, sit tight. You are the only reason for our success, and we appreciate your devotion. We want you to know that we aren't a big corporation. We are just like you. A few people who love good stories. We hope that you will join us in the continuing story of Lonelygirl15, and help us usher in an era of interactive storytelling where the line between "fan" and "star" has been removed, and dedicated fans like yourselves are paid for their efforts. This is an incredible time for the creator inside all of us.

Taken from Lonelygirl15.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

anyone that could see that was fake needs their head checked to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

I watched two episodes of it and it was so stupid. Even if it wasn't staged, it would still be boring. I don't get why people are entertained by this sort of stuff

This is what appeared to start it all.

http://www.lonelygirl15.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=36

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Thats the exact message that I quoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

never seen this.

Took one look.

how the F*CK did people only *suspect* its fake. Its bloody blatant that its fake and I'm not even talking about the stereotypical me vs my parents plot. Its not a webcam and the audio is being clearly inserted in (parents walking up stairs...yeah a pc microphone CAN REALLY PICK THAT UP!).

I put my money on that it was not actually owned by some company (it is now most likely) but a bunch of film students who started it as a prank (see emo kid) but suddenly found they could make money from it. Hence its gone from prank to form of entertainment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

I thought people had learned better after EmoKid21Ohio...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i didn't know anything about her (don't follow the "blog" scene) before but ranted at everyone on youtube afterwards anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Caco

I remember seeing somethng about this girl a while ago. After a few seconds of her latest vlog, I couldn't bare anymore. How can people listen to that shíte and it's so obviously fake, so put on!

The wikipedia has interesting details on it.

The investigation is a suggestion that it is a take on HP Lovecraft (cue Karl Hungus :) ). She makes references to stars alignments, Crowley Shrine in the back left of the bedroom and her parents saying she has to practise for some ritual and that she is learning a language that no one has ever spoken before and her boyfriend wanting to be known as DanielBeast666.

It may be that she is a sacrifice for some ritual.

• Advertisement
Advertisement