Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Parkwest Autopoint gone into receivership!!!!

Options
  • 19-07-2006 11:19am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭

According to an article in the Irish Times motoring section today, Parkwest Autopoint have gone into receivership today with over €1 million worth of cars on stock.. :eek:

Some customers have been left without the cars they were purchasing even though they had already traded in their old cars.

Included in the stock of cars are 2 Porsche Carrera's.

Ouch!!!!!!

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/motoring/2006/0719/1152913444604.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

I say "Bring on the Auction!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I work beside it, and noticed over the last few weeks that they have not been putting out the cars.

Its a real pity as all the nice metal made waiting in traffic slightly less painful..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭oilsheik

I think its something we'll see more often as the SSIA money runs out and the economy cools a bit in 2008/09. There's alot of garages out there with hefty amounts of bank debt given all the investment in showrooms and workshops.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

oilsheik wrote:
    There's alot of garages out there with hefty amounts of bank debt given all the investment in showrooms and workshops.

Not to mention the massive debt tied up in second hand stock.............

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Archeron

prospect wrote:
    I work beside it, and noticed over the last few weeks that they have not been putting out the cars.

Its a real pity as all the nice metal made waiting in traffic slightly less painful..

Remember when the Ducati dealership opened and they had the honeys in the red outfits? Two truly gorgeous girls standing there for the photoshoot and about eight million people staring at them through the gates. Aah, good times.

On topic though, I'm not surprised they gone bang, anyone I know got truly atrocious after sales service from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

They'll be the first of many. I read an article last week in a newspaper that there is an average of 160 second hand cars being imported from the uk every day at the minute. Have that garages over here not realised that they are pricing their second hand stock way above the market value.
    Typical example is a 03 Audi A6 1.9TDI SE. Spotted one in Uk and including import duty flights etc, €22000. That's from an Audi dealer by the way!!
    Go see how much our Audi dealers are looking for for the same vehicle. Between €3000 - €5000 more!!!
    I don't feel sorry for them one bit. They've all got too greedy..

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ambro25 wrote:
    I say "Bring on the Auction!" :D

I'll go €20k for the 7 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

case in point

both of those 911s are priced at 104K, which is more than a NEW 911 in teh UK... rediculous

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

case in point

both of those 911s are priced at 104K, which is more than a NEW 911 in teh UK... rediculous

*cough* V *cough* R *cough* T *cough*

• Advertisement

prospect wrote:

what-zat-what-zat ?!? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

I really don't think because one garage goes ti*s up that you can say they're all on the way out as they've spent a bit of money on their showroom :confused:

Car regs are almost at 70,000 in Dublin and it's not even August yet and let's be realistic about it, very few SSIAs have really seen the light of day yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

unkel wrote:
    I'll go €20k for the 7 :D

go for it! might want to give the receiver a 5 grand back hander also:D
    in all fairness, they arent located in a particularly great place. parkwest is still an oddball area. if u want to sell prestige cars i reakon somewhere arount cabinteely/foxrock n11 corridor is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

SIMI help set the levels, its their own fault

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Big Balls wrote:
    I really don't think because one garage goes ti*s up that you can say they're all on the way out as they've spent a bit of money on their showroom :confused:

just to let you know most of the new showrooms we are seeing are changes in holding a main dealership frachise license right across europe. Garages have to be so many meters away from pubilc road have a glass front etc etc.

secondly 70000 new cars on road but where oh where are the used cars????

In the field, in the lock up and probably on a boat to eastern europe...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Am I the only person who has seen the SIMI campaigning to abolish VRT.

"the SIMI have been setting the levels" I+Only the Minister for Finance has those powers

Sorry if I misread that but thats what I take from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

lomb wrote:
    go for it! might want to give the receiver a 5 grand back hander also:D

*gets out "county councillor" size brown envelope* :D
    ambro25 wrote:

Is that your best Eastern-European accent? ;)

M3 anyone...

unkel wrote:
    Is that your best Eastern-European accent? ;)

Nah. Think more along the lines of Budweiser's 'wazzaaap', but ditch the Yank sound and replace with London Eastend chavvy fastspeak™ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

104k does seem massively excessive for the Porker, but I'll take the Maser as it's a sunny day and just leave it in Auto as I cruise down to Kerry tomorrow. I don't relish a premium dealer going down for no reason, but at this level aftersales is key and if they couldn't manage it, they deserve what they get/got...

Will the reciever take a cheque d'ya reckon? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

bbability wrote:

just to let you know most of the new showrooms we are seeing are changes in holding a main dealership frachise license right across europe. Garages have to be so many meters away from pubilc road have a glass front etc etc.

secondly 70000 new cars on road but where oh where are the used cars????

In the field, in the lock up and probably on a boat to eastern europe...

From what I know there's a fair amount of used cars going out, otherwise I've been needlessly valeting cars that haven't been going out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Ahh I'd say the public wont get a sniff of any of those cars until they appear on another forecourt.

The main reason that the place closed I'd say is that they werent a brand dealership.. Having one of them basically guarantees a customer base of brand loyal customers.

Its nice to have porche's and range rovers on the lot but relying on them to make money is crazy. Even Des Cullen has the hyundai dealership to keep him ticking over.

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Longrangedriver

ToxicPaddy wrote:
    Ahh I'd say the public wont get a sniff of any of those cars until they appear on another forecourt.

The main reason that the place closed I'd say is that they werent a brand dealership.. Having one of them basically guarantees a customer base of brand loyal customers.

Its nice to have porche's and range rovers on the lot but relying on them to make money is crazy. Even Des Cullen has the hyundai dealership to keep him ticking over.

Tox

Sorry Toxic Paddy, but Des's Hyundais are well gone, apparantly he couldn't make a :p living:p on €200/300 per car from Hyundai sales.

I personally de-sigged his premises in Rathmines, he just sticks to prestige cars, better mark-up imo, and his.

Also the boss recently bought a Merc from them, hes on hols at the moment.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bigmick

Wondering if any you guys can help.
    Just paid :eek: 16800 euro VRT on a '96 911 for myself.
    Is it worth the trouble of contesting it on their "inflated" valuation or would I just be wasting my time?
    Does anyone know if any VRT appeals have ever been successful?
    Hope somebody can help!
    Thanks,
    Mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

You should have put this in a new thread.
    Thats vrt, I gave up trying to bring in a testarossa cos they wanted 12000 odd for a 20 year old one, its a total con, i doubt your appeal will be successful.
    But sure try, and let us know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

any cheap cars for sale from parkwest autos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Is it worth the trouble of contesting it on their "inflated" valuation or would I just be wasting my time?
    Absolutely. The fact they don't put Porsches/Lotus (which are, when it comes down to it, a full-blown manufacturer) on the calculation tool show it's a scam. They just invent prices, I have no belief that whoever in the VRT office is qualified enough to decide on the nuances of porsche valuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Kersh wrote:
    You should have put this in a new thread.
    Thats vrt, I gave up trying to bring in a testarossa cos they wanted 12000 odd for a 20 year old one, its a total con, i doubt your appeal will be successful.
    But sure try, and let us know how you get on.

I would have thought that an 86 Testarossa would have been worth at least €36,000 here, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Its only worth what someone will pay for it... look at lawfords 348 for 60k, or the 76 gtb for 44500. If they arent selling at those prices, they arent worth it..
    I just am not willing to pay a 12 grand lump sum to the thieving f******.
    In ten years it will be 50 euro....
    Imagine , you can bring in a 60s race pedigree ferrari worth millions, and you pay 50 euro. Bring in a 1977 ferrari 512bbi and you get stung for 15000 euro. Leave it in UK for a year and you save 14950 euro.
    Its a rip off, now im off to hunt for a 76 308gtb. :D:)

*he wont get anywhere with his protest. I got quoted 14000 for a 94 964, and his is a 96 ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 avicbebaldemelt

tried ti bring in a 2000 boxster in march and they wanted €12000 vrt. said they had to ring wexford to get a price.your right about the website - they have no calculation for porsche etc yet they have for yugos!-yugo w.t f did you last see a yugo???????????rang back a month later and they wanted €13000!
    scam ,joke rip off come to mind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Kersh wrote:
    Its only worth what someone will pay for it... look at lawfords 348 for 60k, or the 76 gtb for 44500. If they arent selling at those prices, they arent worth it..
    I just am not willing to pay a 12 grand lump sum to the thieving f******.
    In ten years it will be 50 euro....
    Imagine , you can bring in a 60s race pedigree ferrari worth millions, and you pay 50 euro. Bring in a 1977 ferrari 512bbi and you get stung for 15000 euro. Leave it in UK for a year and you save 14950 euro.
    Its a rip off, now im off to hunt for a 76 308gtb. :D:)

*he wont get anywhere with his protest. I got quoted 14000 for a 94 964, and his is a 96 ....

What do you think your 86 Testarossa would have been worth landed here?

Advertisement