Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sticky of online stores that accept Laser / Maestro Card?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

White_Wolf wrote: »
    not for online purchase tho

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭White_Wolf

Good point hope they one day do though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

dabs.ie doesnt accept laser, is that right?

Yeah Pangea as fas as i know they dont well i dont think so anyway only pc site i know in ireland that accepts them is elara.ie at the moment

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

another farce from Komplett.
    You can pay by laser card now but only at the Dublin pick up point.

It completely defeats the purpose, if you're gonna go out to the pick up point you're gonna have/get some cash.

Komplett why can't you just accept laser cards for delivery?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/k.aspx?action=page&page=news&topic=Laser_payments&utm_source=komplett&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=wofw0409mb

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

jayteecork wrote: »
    another farce from Komplett.
    You can pay by laser card now but only at the Dublin pick up point.

It completely defeats the purpose, if you're gonna go out to the pick up point you're gonna have/get some cash.

Komplett why can't you just accept laser cards for delivery?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/k.aspx?action=page&page=news&topic=Laser_payments&utm_source=komplett&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=wofw0409mb

We can hazard a guess. There is no security built into the laser card system. When a Visa card or Mastercard etc is used the banking database for want of a better word that the payment processors check the details off, has all card and customer details. This allows the clearing software and subsequently the merchant to make a final decision on whether or not to accept a card for payment. Visa and Mastercards also have authentication programs which are effectively an online version of a chip and pin.

Believe it or not a payment processor when presented with a laser card does not have access to the laser card holders address ( unless that processor is linked with the issuing bank itself ) A laser card is presented and the only thing most payment processors check is if there is funds available or not. Laser cards are far less trustowrthy from a merchants point of view which is why a lot of online retailers will not accept them.

Bear in mind more oftne than not that it is the retailer who ends up paying the bill if a card is used fraudulently as it is very difficult to fight "charge backs" where a bank says my card holder said he did not order this from you etc - a retailer has to go and then prove it was ordered and dispatched to the address ( matching the card holders ) - easily enough done with a Visa Card because you have more than likely shipped to the matching address to that visa card. With a laser card you are shipping to an address that you dont know wether or not it is the card holders.

We did at one point consider stopping taking laser cards due to these risks but decided against it. We accept laser cards on our site but we are very strict on the processing of them. We will at times ask customers to scan a proof of address and indeed the card itself at times depending on the circumstances. It takes a lot of time and resources to individually assess each laser card payment but unfortunately we have to do this for the moment. Sometimes people get offended and cancel the order - which we would rather have happen than send a delivery out that we ultimately get charged back from.

I would say in this case Komplett are playing it as safe as possible allowing payment at the pick up point ( this means that they are covered because the laser card itself was used to purchase the goods )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭raheny red

basquille wrote: »

Accomodation/Travel

1800 Hotels

I couldn't use my laser with this shower last week, anyone else have any problems?

Accomodation/Travel
    Aer Lingus
    How come aerlingus wont accept my laser card , When i go to card type it doesnt mention laser card ,just mastro or solo, when i selected that ,it still didnt work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭DePurpereWolf

ie.foto.com (which is a German-based photo printing company with an irish site) uses Worldpay from royal bank of Scotland for its transactions in Ireland. Worldpay offers laser, so I just bought something this Sunday using my laser card.

This worldpay looks like a good solution for the European jungle of different online payment methods.

Im trying to buy an extra bag for my aerlingus flight , but the irish laser card option doesnt show up , is it because my flight is leaving from belfast? Please can someone respond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭DePurpereWolf

Pangea wrote: »
    Im trying to buy an extra bag for my aerlingus flight , but the irish laser card option doesnt show up , is it because my flight is leaving from belfast? Please can someone respond.
    Just ring them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Redcoza

https://secure.booksunlimited.ie

Another Cheap bookshop that execpts laser (cheaper than hugh and hughes and easons)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mick84

Does anyone know an online store that sell Canvas Pictures and accepts laser cards ?

Just knoticed http://www.cdworld.ie accept laser once again dont know if this has already been said but hey its new to me.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Why is Dabs still on the Laser list?! They've never accepted Laser and as they bill from the UK they don't accept Maestro either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭Dermot2468

Solitaire wrote: »
    Why is Dabs still on the Laser list?! They've never accepted Laser and as they bill from the UK they don't accept Maestro either.
    Just got caught by this myself! can basquille edit the original post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Progger

Hey guys, great thread. Just wondering if any of you know a place I can order midi controllers or any music production gear online with a laser card??
    I've found one or two I think but their prices are outrageous. About 200 euro in difference if I bought from the UK. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

i see paypal still aren't accepting laser cards :(

would anyone know of any sites i can buy an R4 or DSTT card with laser please??

thanks

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

www.discountpackaging.ie

Packaging supplies store that accept Laser both online and at the counter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 keys101

Any one where i can get an xbox 360 steering wheel with laser, furthermore anyone know if there is a world wide accepted debit card?? my bank wont give me a credit card and told me dat this would be accepted online

are the 3v cards a way around this maybe??

https://www.3v.ie/partner-ebay.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

keys101 wrote: »
    furthermore anyone know if there is a world wide accepted debit card??

No, and many online stores won't accept Debit cards at all.
    keys101 wrote: »
    my bank wont give me a credit card and told me dat this would be accepted online

They lied. Laser is accepted by some Irish online retailers. Outside the Irish ones, the vast majority of retailers will not even entertain it.

3V is, for want of a better word, sh*te. There are other pre-pay debit/credit cards, see this thread for details.

jor el wrote: »

They lied. Laser is accepted by some Irish online retailers. Outside the Irish ones, the vast majority of retailers will not even entertain it.

3V is, for want of a better word, sh*te. There are other pre-pay debit/credit cards, see this thread for details.
    i want to buy R4/DSTT cards, i don't have a credit card and nowhere will take laser cards for them online. with 3V i can set up paypal which means i can buy the cards. how are they sh1te?? i just want a simple means of buying what i'm looking for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The charges for buying
    The limitation on size (350 euro max)
    Not able to top up (need to buy a new one)
    The charges for transferring unused credit
    The charges for cashing out unused credit
    Not able to buy credit online
    Lack of outlets that actually sell them

The list continues, but I can't think of any more right now. It all adds up to make 3V, in my opinion, sh*te.

For the desperate, they're an option, but they should really be a last option.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 keys101

cheers jor el, guess im pretty much stuck at the mo den, really fed up with my bank, they ensured me this would work, even wen i rang them abt a cancelled order from play.com they said no it should be fine just try it again in a few days. i dont see why they have to lie abt it, clearly dey should know!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

They are shíte but it's the only option available to ROI people. Them other "online" credit cards in that thread people are talking about are for the UK

This thread is 19 pages....

eh, quick question : Is it possible to buy DVDs online, in Euro prices, with a Laser card ?

Or is the DVD online buying world ruled by Amazon, HMV and Play ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ford mustang

next.ie
    accept laser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    This thread is 19 pages....

eh, quick question : Is it possible to buy DVDs online, in Euro prices, with a Laser card ?

Or is the DVD online buying world ruled by Amazon, HMV and Play ?
    BangCD and CD WOW both accept Laser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ford mustang

gamesnash.ie and they have really fast delivery also console repairs ireland but there not as good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Cant be bothered going through 19 pages but does anyone know of any betting sites that accept maestro cards? I set up an account with bwin only to find out I couldnt deposit any money

BangCD and CD WOW both accept Laser.

I'll be staying as far away from cdwow as possible thank you but cheers .
    bangcd seems to be based in Singapore ? Think I'll give that one a miss also.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Paddypower.ie takes laser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Do you know if it takes Maestro as well? I dont particularly want to go through the hassle of setting up an account again only to find out it wont work

If its a laser card with maestro it will accept it if its an Irish one not sure about UK cards.

also found this site don't think its been posted but I haven't seen it

www.techdirect.ie

Also same company www.cheaplaptops.ie <- might have already been posted its not than new I don't think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭raheny red

Do ticketmaster take laser?

raheny red wrote: »
    Do ticketmaster take laser?

Yes, I think there's a charge/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Oneinamillion

Anyone know where I can buy nfl jerseys with a laser??

i'm looking for a book called 'a thousand splendid suns', is there anywhere i can buy this with laser card?? the three bookshops on the OP don't have it (easons, hughes and hughes, kennys irish bookstore)

poindexter wrote: »
    i'm looking for a book called 'a thousand splendid suns', is there anywhere i can buy this with laser card?? the three bookshops on the OP don't have it (easons, hughes and hughes, kennys irish bookstore)

Yeah mate cdwow has it if this is the one your thinking of

http://www.cdwow.ie/search?query=a+thousand+splendid+suns&category=books

• Advertisement

White_Wolf wrote: »
    Yeah mate cdwow has it if this is the one your thinking of

http://www.cdwow.ie/search?query=a+thousand+splendid+suns&category=books
    good man, thanks very much for that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 iswallowglass

Partypoker.com also take laser.

http://ie.farnell.com/ accepted Laser as payment from me the other day. Their site's very confusing so I shot off an email asking was the €35 delivery charge necessary and did they accept Laser. No delivery charge and I got a phone call from their Leeds office to give them my Laser number and it was cleared a few days later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 monkey99

bargainstore.ie look like they take laser..

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭serjical_strike

i know there was a list in the clothing part at the start of this thread but does anyone know anymore clothes sites that acccept laser...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Anyone know where i can buy one online besides apple.ie? Cheers. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 jimbojambo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I just tried to book a flight to Edinburgh from Shannon in Ryanair. To my amazement there is no Maestrocard option when booking from this side, yet I have no problems using my Maestrocard in Scotland on the same website. My Maestrocard is UK issue. So what gives, does that mean there is different options for whatever country your in? Going of topic slightly now, I just tried to top-up with my pre-paid Mastercard so I could try and still book flight, but the local outlet did not have the technology to process transaction even tho they are payzone, this also happens alot in Edinburgh too, lots of shops not updating their machines where it is not possible to top-up funds. Bloody frustrating.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭bdo

i know there was a list in the clothing part at the start of this thread but does anyone know anymore clothes sites that acccept laser...

Yes, Rowlands Clothing in the UK takes Laser. Very handy, as you pay in UK Sterling but with your Laser card.

http://www.rowlandsclothing.co.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

I would dearly like to close my visa credit card as I'm crap at managing it but given that you can't use Amazon, international florists and indeed do most international transactions without one I can't. I think us Irish are the only EU country which doesn't have an international debit card system.

I checked this out a few years ago and was told there was pressure on the banks to provide the service but nothing has happened. Anyone have any information on this? Is it a ploy by the banks to keep us in debt?

Advertisement