Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want specific "effect" on my website

Options
  • 19-07-2006 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Ya see up the top of the page on boards, the way all the categories are listed, and when you hover on them it lists the forums and you hover on them and it lists the sub-forums....

I want to have something similar on my site!

But not quite the same... Here, I'll just draw it in paint cos I won't be able to explain it!

The picture shows 4 different shots, the first is just the list of leagues, you hover on one and it shows the divisions, you hover on a division and it shows the teams, you hover on a team and it shows the players.

That's the idea! Is that possible? What would I use for it? I tried googling it, but don't really know what to search for :confused:

EDIT:

BTW that red thing represents the cursor :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

That's a DHTML or mylonic menu I think. Google for dhtml dropdown menu or 'mylonic' menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

As gordon said, you can do it with a dhtml dropdown menu. Have a look at www.udm4.com for a cross browser menu... best I've seen out there. Only thing I'd be worried about is the amount of lines it would take to populate it, e.g. 4 leagues X 3 divisions X 20 teams X 20 players = 4800 lines of code. :eek: If you're only doing a select number of teams and players, it migthn't be that bad! :D

EDIT: Maybe look at using AJAX for dynamically pulling only the currently selected list to speed it up... cause you'd be only loading up 20 lines at a time as opposed to the whole 4800 in one go. Just a suggestion! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Looks like you're right, yeh, thanks. It seems to be more trouble to implement than it's worth though, so I won't bother :p Thanks again!

Advertisement