Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbit treat ideas

Options
  • 19-07-2006 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if anyone could suggest some food treat ideas for a rabbit, about 2 years old and female.

I'd like to try and improve her diet while giving her something she likes and would maybe let me play with her at the same time. I'd imagine it is pretty boring for her eating the same processed food all the time.

Obviously, i also feed her carrots and lettuce regularly, but I thought maybe someone might now other things that rabbits might like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭RandomOne

Bits of celery, mini corn on cob, ends of cucumbers, dandelion leaves (very sparingly and not from flowering dandelions)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 SusieBelle

You shouldn't feed them lettuce (I think specifically iceberg is bad for them)

Apple, pear, Raisens, Kale, Cabbage, Sunflower seeds, Banana (mine loves banana), Broccoli, Apricots, figs, Parsley.

Mine also loves burnt toast :rolleyes: Not sure how good it is for them though, it's very rare she's had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Agree, avoid lettuce it's very bad for rabbits esp. the lighter ones eg iceberg.

Shop bought treats are not healthy they are full of sugar and god knows what else, so natural treats are best. Here's a few suggestions..

Apple branches (ones not treated with chemicals or pesticides etc).
    Fresh grass "
    If you haven't access to grass try Burgess Forage Excel it's fresh green dried grass.
    You can buy fruit/veggies skewer type things in the pet shop, you can skewer the food onto it and hang it a little high so they have to work for it, also some rabbits love treat balls (also available in pet shops).
    Flowering dandelions are actually fine for rabbits as long as they are not picked from the side of the road and they are free from chemicals/fertilisers etc as well. They are high in calcium though but any treat is to be given sparingly anyway.
    One very popular treat is Timothy hay, it's hard to get though. It's available in Bairbre OMalleys vets in Bray but I think you can order it on the OxBow site as well but postage could be pricey.
    Here's the site http://www.oxbowhay.com/index.sp there are some more healthy treats on there as well I think.

Advertisement