Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bathroom requirements while travelling

• 19-07-2006 12:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am hoping you may offer some advice on something I've been wondering about.

A family member of mine is disabled, and requires a wheelchair for outdoor activities. Actually being outdoors is quite new to her, and I am really looking forward ot bringing her out more and more. I live in Meath, and she has told me that she would love to tour the country and see the sights.

My main concern with this is bathroom facilities while travelling. The woman suffers from a kind of pressure on her bladder (requires surgery, wont happen for a while, long story) that causes her to need to use the toilet fairly regularly. I know some people would say to just stop and use a pub or public restroom, but I know that this will cause her great stress, as getting in and out of the wheelchair is quite difficult, and she is quite self conscious and wouldnt be happy with having to go into pubs full of strangers.

is there any type of technology or solution available so that a lady can do her bathroom requirements while travelling without having to leave the vehicle?
    Please forgive my ignorance on this matter.
    Thanks as always.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

Murray's medical is one of the main suppliers for AT in Ireland try http://www.assistireland.ie/index.asp?locID=953&docID=-1 but be very careful what you buy and ring AssistIreland first to see if it will meet your requirements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Archeron

Thanks Snorlax, as always :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Also, tell her to talk to her GP about it.
    IIRC there are several types of pills that you can take to stop this happening while travelling. A lot of people get them for plane travel as there is no other option because the toilets on a plane are ridiculous.
    She will have to drink a special re-hydration drink before leaving the house if he prescribes them, he will advise her about that too.

b

Advertisement