Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free web stats package?

Options
  • 19-07-2006 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I have a hosting account with multiple domains and i have been told that if i want web stats on one of the sub domains i will have to use my own web stats programme and take the raw server logs.

Anyone know of any free descent ones?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

statcounter.com FTW :)

I'm led to believe that it's Irish-run, too...

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Bananna man

Im just worried that one of these "free" stat counters will be riddled with spyware. Have you used this programme yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Seohelp

Im just worried that one of these "free" stat counters will be riddled with spyware. Have you used this programme yourself?

I've used it and had no problems. Clean as a whistle.

Sign up for Google Analytics as well. It gets mixed reviews from people expecting it to become a complete business solution. However, it's free, so you take the good with the bad sometimes. If you were to use ClickTracks Appetizer as well you can cover yourself by analyzer your raw logs every few weeks and keep an eye on your Google Analytics or Statcounter figures more regularly.

Everything that is recommended above is free, so they are all worth a look in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Statcounter and Google Analytics are web based and have no spyware in them at all. All you do is sign up for an account and add a piece of JavaScript to the page source. If you are signing up for Google Analytics make sure you use a Gmail.com address as you get your invite much quicker.

I would also recommend AWStats for analyzing the log files of the site if you have access to them, though it can be a little tricky to setup sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Serbian wrote:
    I would also recommend AWStats for analyzing the log files of the site if you have access to them, though it can be a little tricky to setup sometimes.

If he's using a shared hosting account setting up Awstats may not be an option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah I use it for jobbanter.com! lol

Here's a little screenshot of the summary page (when ya log into the site), so ya know the kind of info ya see (my counter is of course on its last legs due to the large volume of traffic I'm getting :D)

It's just a matter of pasting a bit of code onto your page, and then checking the stats on statcounter.com. No spyware, no fuss, no muss! (no, I don't work for statcounter.com :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

The guy from Statcounter is on boards iirc.

Advertisement