Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scaffold Piercing

Options
  • 19-07-2006 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hey, I'm getting my ear pierced scaffold style at the weekend, does anyone have any feedback like is it a dodgy enough position, aftercare,recommendations for jewellery,awkward to change etc? Also, this sounds crazy but the top of my ears are small compared to the diagram as supplied by Celestial Ring so if they can do it at all it'll prob be a smaller bar,I already have 3 ear piercings so any views people? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It's not dodgy when done well. Go to Snakebite. As regards aftercare and jewellery, you will be talked through all of that by your piercer. Size won't matter, as barbells come in various sizes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Serpentine

Cheers, its always good to get some feedback esp as I don't know anyone with this done!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Had it done a while ago, doesnt hurt too much and healing time isnt that long.
    Kept it in for two years but then I had to take it out as it was really starting to hurt. Think I just slept on it wrong or whatever.
    I will suggest going into a natural health store and getting some Arnica, very handy for the healing process, especially with the cartilage area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Rich_Why

Huh!? Would Arnica really help with cartilage healing!? I have some of that **** at home, I used it for a pulled back muscle once. I got two rim piercings about 5 weeks ago and they dont hurt or anything but their still a bitch to sleep on every now and then. I want the ****ers to heal as fast possible because I getting itchy to get another piercing in my other ear. But Id can hardly have two sore ears now! I have to sleep standing up!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭elephamt king

Rich_Why wrote:
    Huh!? Would Arnica really help with cartilage healing!? I have some of that **** at home, I used it for a pulled back muscle once. I got two rim piercings about 5 weeks ago and they dont hurt or anything but their still a bitch to sleep on every now and then. I want the ****ers to heal as fast possible because I getting itchy to get another piercing in my other ear. But Id can hardly have two sore ears now! I have to sleep standing up!:D

Arnica is quite helpful for shock afaik and there is considerably more trauma in a cartilage piercing than a lobe etc. so any help to the healing process is worthwhile.
    Also head into boots and get some Vitamin C + Zinc tablets. Around €7 for a couple of hundred, which is more than enough for a healing time....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ugliest

..make sure you get it done by a reputable place..you'd think,that even though its an ear piercing it'd be hard to mess up, alas you'd be wrong.

-got one done several years ago, ...she used the same needle for both holes+ folded my ear over to force it through NOT RIGHT!
    -also she hit a vein or something+had to bandage my ear up cos it was bleeding so much.
    -being young+impetuous i chose to just get the scaffold jewellery, not two seperate piercings+allow them to heal before i put the jewellery in.
    so when the swelling went down+bruising went away, i had a piece of jewellery that was FAR too big+kept slipping back and forth when i slept+getting infected (not badly,just annoyingly) very tedious, was fine when i got a piece of jewellery that actually fit, but i had to ORDER it in+wait a few weeks to get it.
    i've asked around and THIS is standard practise for patrons of that particular piercer (proper shop, they do tattoos aswell *shudder*)

-be aware.

Christ! Give us a name man!:rolleyes:

Yeah you can't leave it on that note! Someone else I was talking to had a similar experience & the whole "folding" idea was part of why I posted here full stop, come on give us a name! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Sorry that is standard procedure for how a scaffold is done, the only thing i draw issue with is she didn't do a flashlight test to look for blood vessels. Also its stanard to use a bigger jewelry in a scaffold and then custom fit one a week or two later after teh swelling has finished.

Almost all piercings start off with a piece thats to big to account for swelling. So yeah amazingemmet is right about that but what about the same needle for both holes? That doesn't seem right! Never mind not checking for blood vessels which is just ****ing ignorant. This topic interests me as a scaffold was what I planned to get done next. Or maybe I'll just get a few more rim piercings! I love those little ****ers, they hurt so much! *licks lips*

• Advertisement

Yes same needle for both holes as it will line the piercing up better for the jewelry.

ooooh! Now I can image it! That explains the folding thing as well. Well at least I wont be surprised now....

Rich_Why wrote:
    This topic interests me as a scaffold was what I planned to get done next. Or maybe I'll just get a few more rim piercings! I love those little ****ers, they hurt so much! *licks lips*
    Haha I went & got a rim piercing actually instead! seems less trouble than the scaffold right now. Great minds think alike! ;)

Great minds both also live in Maynooth is seems :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ugliest

Sorry that is standard procedure for how a scaffold is done, the only thing i draw issue with is she didn't do a flashlight test to look for blood vessels. Also its stanard to use a bigger jewelry in a scaffold and then custom fit one a week or two later after teh swelling has finished.

no its f'n not!

-standard procedure is to get two seperate piercings, having marked off where both piercings will be so you know they'll line up (know that sounds kinda condesendin', but i know a guy who used to work there+they had to COMPLETELY re-train him now he's in snakebite)

its worrying you'd think this is standard.

the shop was Nine Lives, in bray....known in the business (i know im not in the business, but any piercer i mention them to, tends to refer to them as butchers) to be really iffy.

-im aware of swelling etc. but the amount of infections i'd get at night time when it would slip up and down kinda prevented me gettin a shorter bar quicker.

it might make sense+maybe make it a bit easier for the piercer, but you're paying, and you deserve to have any piercing performed in the safest, most hygienic way possible

this page looks pretty good if anyones interested:
    http://www.pierceoff.com.au/PiercingPhotos.aspx?Cat=Ear%20Scaffold%20or%20Industrial

maybe its just me getting carried away+over-reacting, in which case i apologise for my tone.

-got a new scaffold last year+i gotta say, it just seemed so much better+more comfortable to have the two seperate piercings.
    using the same needle for both holes doesnt seem right in my mind.

I still disagree with you. The only reason i can see for using two needles is if they're using blades instead of cannula needles. then two might be preferable but i can't figure out the logistics of it all. I can't see your point how two needles is safer. Can you elaborate more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I have to laugh, this is just my sick twisted mind but every time i see you guys write rim piercings, i think of anal ones! I think ive been looking at modblog way too much.
    Im not a piercer myself but I would think its easier to use one needle for a scaffold. Easier to put the jewellery in and follow through to the next hole, instead of messing around opening up a new needle package. Cross contamination wouldnt happen i presume either as long as it is done in one fluid motion.
    It depends on the piercer and how confident they are and the techniques they use.

Wilburt wrote:
    I have to laugh, this is just my sick twisted mind but every time i see you guys write rim piercings, i think of anal ones!

:D Don't worry man so do I! Its just easier to refer to them as "Rim" piercings, rather than helix and auricle all the time:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mushypeaz88

i just got scaffold done by some crazy lady in georges arcade who was twitching and talking to herself..she was crazy,and kept shaking...if you want to get this done then DONT GO HERE!!!! ther great (and cheap) for normal lobe piercings,but she was mad with the needles..

...it also hasnt stopped bleeding the whole way home and is pretty swollen, i think she hit a vein or something...can someone tell me what to do,is it guna be okay????

take it out right away,
    go to doctor tomorrow to make sure you are ok

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭mc nuggets

Good advice, also why did you let a crazy old woman pierce you, you should have gotten out of there as quickly as you could if she was shaking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

Sounds like a george job!!!! Hahaha! I'm interested in the two needles theory. Depending on the shape of the scaffold, sometimes two needles would be the way to go. If I remember correctly (I had my scaff done a few years back) I had two needles. But my scaff bends from my rim (Shut up Wilburt!) right down and curves out through my conch. I couldn't see a problem with using just one cannulae for a regular horizontal scaff. It would just make more sense and would be way more comfortable for jewellery insertion. Blades wouldn't really be likely for a scaff, would they? To me, it'd be alot more uncomfortable for the piercee. Cartlidge is a sensitive spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I dont see the harm in using one needle for the scaffold, but I dont know what youre talking about when you say about folding the ear over, sure each piercing is done from the inside out if you know what I mean. The jewellery is only put in as 2 separate piercings if the person getting it done finds there is too much pressure on the ear otherwise, so depends on how you take to it I guess, I had a curved scaffold done in snakebite, didnt find it bad at all, the worst problems Ive had during the healing process is going to the hairdressers and they insist on brushing your ears and hitting off it even when you warn them beforehand, that can be pretty painful and I just got used to not sleeping on that side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

i love my scaffold!!! my friend done it for me and its the sexiest thing ever!!!!! she used two needles for it.......which was good!! didnt hurt as much as i thought...though i did scream like a bitch when she did the second hole!! it hurt like a mother!!! its all pretty now!!! :D GO SARANNE :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭popecatapetal

as far as i know, some piercers prefer to use an extra-long scaffold bar instead of two shorter bars to heal this piercing is so that there is less chance of migration or unusual healing in one of the piercings. the bar might not line up straight if this happens. some piercers do use the two seperate bars cos it's more comfortable for the customer during the healing to have them not connected, but there is a small chance of the bar not fitting after the holes have healed seperately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

i love my scaffold!!! my friend done it for me and its the sexiest thing ever!!!!! she used two needles for it.......which was good!! didnt hurt as much as i thought...though i did scream like a bitch when she did the second hole!! it hurt like a mother!!! its all pretty now!!! :D GO SARANNE :D

why thank you:cool:

take it to personal issues the two of ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

its not a personal issue:)she just likes my pink balls in her ear

meh...............im comfortable here!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Glittery Pink Balls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Glitteryyyyyy!!!! :d

Advertisement