Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scaffold Piercing

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭[QJ]Serideth

i just got scaffold done by some crazy lady in georges arcade who was twitching and talking to herself..she was crazy,and kept shaking...if you want to get this done then DONT GO HERE!!!! ther great (and cheap) for normal lobe piercings,but she was mad with the needles..

...it also hasnt stopped bleeding the whole way home and is pretty swollen, i think she hit a vein or something...can someone tell me what to do,is it guna be okay????

Well, I have my left ear done and it did not bleed at all.

Getting it done there as you now know is a big no no, what's the story with it now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pieces_mended

Just a quick question.
    I had a scaffold done yesterday. Just wondering when the swelling on average, goes down?
    I know it usually takes awhile to heal... and i dont expect the swelling to go yet (obviously, as iv'e just had it done :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pieces_mended

oh yes, and to comment on the long bar debate :P

mine was done with a long bar. It throbbs every now and then, but to be honest its not too painful. I was expecting something really bad lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

I got mine done yesterday.

I think it went really well...cant for the life of me remember the guys name who did it. He is opening his own shop down behind voodoo so the luas should be near it.

He seemed really confident in it.
    I did it in Wildcats/Celestial ring in st stephens green shopping center, top floor down the back right. He used two needles to do it. Which suited me fine as I didnt want him moving the needle around the first hole trying to get it in the second :).
    He took time to properly prepare everything. Measured 5 different bars to my ears to find the best fit(small ears). He bent the bar in a very very slight S shape. He said that it should shave about 2-3 weeks off the healing time. Having one long bar obviously puts more pressure on the edges of the wounds. The S shape made it hit off the edges less. I can put a straight one in when it heals.

I liked the time he took to talk to me about it. What i wanted, What i worked at, Do i use head phones, wear glasses. Talked the whole way through which kept me thinking of other things. He let me and my friend take photos through it too :)
    He used all sterile prepackaged gear everytime, changed his gloves 4 times when ever he switched instruments or anything and did it quickly without mistakes.

The pictures of my face when i was getting the piercing is a bit funny :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Purple Person

I have to say that I find all this arguing about technique hilarious when none of you are actually piercers.:rolleyes:

I am a professional piercer and let me clear up some of this.

2 needles are usually used for a scaffold. There would be no cross contamination issue as any decent piercer would either have the needle out already or change gloves to get new equipment out. They should also be good enough to be able to line up the piercings to make the bar lay in the correct alignment.
    If one needle is used then there is a possibility that the second piercing will hurt more as the needle will be blunter on the second piercing, besides whats the point of having one use disposable needles if you are going to use them twice? But using this 1 needle method does mean that the jewellery will line up perfectly. maybe a piercer with less experience or confidence would do it in this way.
    Also it depends on the size of the ear and the position of the piercing. a blade or a canula may not be long enough to bridge the gap between the two piercings, or if one is a vertical helix piercing and the other is a horizontal conch and you want to put one piece of jewellery through you wouldn't use the same needle it wouldn't reach, thats just common sense people!
    Jewellery should be oversized to begin with by at least 2mm to allow for swelling and cleaning, otherwise you will end up with the balls embedding in the helix, or not being able to clean in between the skin and the jewellery without curling up the ear. This would mean having to touch the new piercing (transferring bacteria in turn leading to infection) and causing pain, not good! Once the piercing is well on it's way to being healed you can change it for a better fit.
    Every piercer is trained in different methods and techniques so almost every piercer would do the same piercing in a different way. As long as they are clean and you get a good result at the end who gives a toss! It's the piercing and the end results that matter not this "I'm right and you're wrong" game that a lot of you seem to playing right now. And before you all start saying who the hell is she and why does she think she's such an authority on this, I am a professional piercer, trained in an APP registered studio in England and I have 7 industrials (or scaffolds, whichever you prefer) in my right ear that have been there for the last 4 years that have healed with no problems.

I hope this clears up some of the confussion!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

In fairness Purple Person, I think the question was more if it should be left to heal with two seperate pieces of jewellery or with the bar.

Anyone that I've seen has used the bar, as you seem to be saying yourself too.

And don't worry, I don't think anyone is/would be questioning your expertise. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭pandemonium

it's going to be swollen and seriously tender for ages yet!
    i got mine done about 3 months ago, 2 days afterwards i got elbowed somehow and the lower hole ripped a little and ever since iv had a lump around filled with fluid, iv gotten it drained since and was told to put toothpaste on it followed by a hot saly soak and the swelling did go down but its taking forever to heal lol and now every time it bangs off my clothes or hairbrush it swells up so apart from that and the whole not being able to sleep on my left hand side i love my scaffold! lol sorry for the tangent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

toothpaste?! whats the reasoning behind this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i know there's a home cure for zits in the form of toothpaste, dab it on overnight, and the zit should be gone in the morning, but i know even that's bad for it cos it dries it up, or something...

i really don't think the toothpaste on a piercing ie flesh wound, would be a great idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Purple Person

I agree, toothpaste sounds like a bad idea, it would probably do the same as any creams, just clog it up and cause it to kick out loads of gunk. Sea salt and boiled water all the way!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭!_Brian_!

Thrided. Its a hypertrophic scar from your description and all you need to do is slap on a sea salt soak once or twice a day. If that dosnt work get yerself some Camomile tea bags, boil them as usual and slap them on (once cooled a bit obviously) once or twice a day for about 5 minutes. It'll clear up in time.

And on the flip side of the coin to Purple Person's perferal of the two needle method, I prefer to use one needle when piercing the scaffold. At least when its straight. Any bendy ones, ie cart to conch etc, NEED to be pierced by two needles as the angles of the piercings will differ greatly and the fact you'd have to bend yer ear into a knot to get a straight needle through them both.

The fact that one professional prefers 2 needles and another prefers to use one dosnt make either of them right or wrong. I've been doing this for 7 years and have my own style and prefered methods, as will any other piercer. If your piercings ok who cares what way it was performed as long as the basics in sterilization, hygine and competence were met? After all its the end result thats the most telling to if its right or wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭pandemonium

Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!! seriously? cos the guy who pierced it said to use toothpaste followed by the boiled sea soak and it worked on my other lumps......
    thanks for your advice !_Brian_! i will deffinitely try the cammomile teabags!

Advertisement