Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pci-E 1x Graphics card

Options
  • 19-07-2006 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know anything about the Matrox gfx card that was released for Pci-E 1x? I didn't even know such a thing existed until I came across it yesterday but I can't find much about it, could be really handy for improving those DELL pcs that only come with the - what I thought was seemingly useless - 1x slot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

A friend at work here has a Matrox video card. His card is mostly used for CAD and the like and not good for games. Maybe Matrox have gaming video cards i dont know or i have never heard of one. Dont know what you want to use these cards for ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Matrox used to make pretty good gaming cards back in the day, but while I know the pci-e 1x card is probably poor for modern gaming, its probably alot better then Dells (Intels rather) GMA 900, right?

Just thought it might provide some limited flexibility for dell users without a 16x slot...

I wasn't so much interested by the cards actual functionality as I was about the fact it was a PCI-E 1x card.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32749

Just found this, which is even better! An x1300 Pci-e 1x - not a great card but amazing considering the previous limitations of a 1x slot - i.e couldn't use anything really.

The reason this would excite me would be you could pick up ex-business machines that have 1x slots for chips, and throw a somewhat usable gfx card into them - up to now you were stuck with the integrated graphics or a crappy pci card.

Looks like I was mistaken with the Matrox card - its a Millenium G550 and only 32MB of memory, which would be infinitely worse then even the GMA900.

The X1300 though, on the other hand, I think thats superb news...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The PCI-E x1 card as reviewed at Hexus while not on par with a regular X1300 it's still better than anything else given the limited options.

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=6118

• Advertisement
Advertisement