Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deer Licensing

• 19-07-2006 2:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭

I am looking at getting ready for the current deer season, I would like to attend the wild deer ireland seminars but have been having a bit of a problem contacting them has anyone else had successful contact or know when the courses start?
    secondly I also want to get a reasonable .243 win, I have looked at Browning A-bolts and the Savage 110 both reasonably priced rifles and accurate to boot, I don't really want to spend more than 500 euros on a gun has anyone used these rifles? can they recommend one over the other?
    I was looking at UK sites and there seems to be a pile of rifles over there that are reasonably priced.
    Would I be better served by importing one or is the paperwork a whole pile of hassle?
    TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

]I am looking at getting ready for the current deer season, I would like to attend the wild deer ireland seminars but have been having a bit of a problem contacting them has anyone else had successful contact or know when the courses start?

Dunno if this is true,but rumour hassit that there has been a bit of messing going on already with this course,in that the first bunch of aspiring deer hunters,some with many years experiance ALL FAILED.Funnily enough everyone apprently failed at around 23 to 25% in the theory test,thus negating the need for any practical testing.Quite unique that, if it is true.
    Can anyone shed further light on this???? Methinks maybe this is another rush to be seen "doing somthing"and then things going pear shaped.

secondly I also want to get a reasonable .243 win, I have looked at Browning A-bolts and the Savage 110 both reasonably priced rifles and accurate to boot, I don't really want to spend more than 500 euros on a gun has anyone used these rifles? can they recommend one over the other?
    I was looking at UK sites and there seems to be a pile of rifles over there that are reasonably priced.
    Would I be better served by importing one or is the paperwork a whole pile of hassle?

Cant advise you on the rifles,both are good makes,a matter of handling and then choosing.Yes, it proably is cheaper,but you are dealing with the UK and I find them in charge even more paranoid about firearms and anything to do with them moreso than our lot in the DOJ and Gardai.:eek: Plus the Euro /STG changeabout do you gain much?I feel you might save about 2/300 euros,but lose it in the hassle factor.My take on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thelurcher

I just got their stalker training manual - wanted to read somthing written from an Irish perspective. I'm a novice to the stalking scene but it seems so far like a good read. (for the price they could have printed it on better paper though :rolleyes: - mine came customised with rips on some of the pages)
    I doubt that I'll ever sit their exam though as I don't rely on Coillte for my permission.
    I went to the WDAOI carcass handling seminar a few years back - was interesting enough - dept. vet showed how to check for TB etc.

I rang them before joining - mobile no is on:
    http://www.wilddeerireland.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thanks for the advice lads, I still think that the seminar is probably good to go to, if nothing else it is a piece of paper that would look good on any license application ;).
    Interesting that the pass rate was so low.
    Hmmm I will investigate further with regard importing from the UK, I am currently in the process of importing an Anschutz .22LR from the North and wonder if it is as simple when importing from the UK?

thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

thelurcher wrote:
    I just got their stalker training manual - wanted to read somthing written from an Irish perspective. I'm a novice to the stalking scene but it seems so far like a good read. (for the price they could have printed it on better paper though :rolleyes: - mine came customised with rips on some of the pages)
    I doubt that I'll ever sit their exam though as I don't rely on Coillte for my

I hear that you will need it even if you shoot on private land in another few years.
    Send the manual back and demand a new copy,considering it is 25 quid,at least they can provide a non ripped copy.

Advertisement