Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Directions to Crotty's Lake

• 19-07-2006 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

I fancy a trip up to somewhere nice in the Comeraghs over the weekend, so I was just wondering if anyone could give directions to Crotty's lake?

We're after somewhere we can just sit down and have a relax and maybe a swim up there if thats possible! Are there better places than Crotty's lake in the Comeraghs for that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

The farmer that owns that lake and the route through it has prohibited people from getting there for the last year. I'm not sure how fussy he is but you'd be better off with Coumshingaun or Coum Iarthar.
    You can get to Coum Iarthar from the Nire valley car park.

Coumshingaun from climbing.ie, with a bit of my own descriptions mixed in. It's great for swimming btw, IF you're used to swimming in cold fresh water that gets very deep very quickly.

"It is best approached from the Carrick on Suir to Dungarvan road..To get to the lake, park at Kilclooney wood (GR. 342103), follow a track through the woods from the north west corner of the car-park until you meet a forest road, turn right, you'll pass a large fake conifer, which is really a mobile phone mast and follow this to the forest boundary, follow the fence up left to the corner of the forest from where some sheep tracks may be followed to the lake. Easy to find with OS map 75 (I think) 1:50000 series.
    If you want to get to the top you follow the obvious ridge line to the right of this pic www.flickr.com/photos/roening/182657947/ all the way from where the above instructions leave off."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Excellent stuff. Thanks a lot.

Its a pity Crotty's lake is out of bounds now. I rememeber as a kid thinking it was the business!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Fantastic shot of the lake Roen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Cheers Aquos,
    I've now been laid up since Sunday with a tick bite that got infected and gave me a reaction. The best weather of the year and all i can do is look out at it :(
    Think Jimmy Stewart in Rear Window, without Grace Kelly to look after him though.
    So wear some insect repellent!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

We went up to Crotty's Lake in Transition Year - only time ive been there but it was very nice. All the more so because we jumped in and had water fights in our clothes... :D:D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement