Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork city population decrease

Options
  • 19-07-2006 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭

Well im sure someone was going to say this sooner or later but everywere in ireland besides cork and limerick city had a increase in population

www.cso.ie has all the stats

i know limerick cities boundry is really small so the reason it decreased is because the city centre is all becoming shops and businesses
    but whats up with cork dropping?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

1huge1 wrote:
    Well im sure someone was going to say this sooner or later but everywere in ireland besides cork and limerick city had a increase in population

www.cso.ie has all the stats

i know limerick cities boundry is really small so the reason it decreased is because the city centre is all becoming shops and businesses
    but whats up with cork dropping?

because most of what we all count as cork city is not for purpose of counting population.... it just means people have move out of the city center to the outer areas....

its the way the "man" in dublin makes the real capital look smaller...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Yeah, I remember years ago if you were writing to an address in Douglas, Wilton, Glanmire, Blackrock - you'd end it with COUNTY CORK. You could tell city vs. county by big green belts. Whatever happened to fields??? There used to be green belt areas between what is now labelled "satelite" towns - but now it's just a massive urban sprawl based in the county vs. an expanding City population. Give it another few years though, we'll wait for those in City/County Hall to flip a coin and decide who's living where!?*

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

The census took place on the weekend of the Munster match apparently (they say it had no bearing though). Interesting that it's Cork and Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Both Limerick and Cork have suffered for years from neglect from Dublin. Look at Limerick, it was only when the Gov looked at the reality of the size of Limerick's population and actually increased the Gardai numbers to accord with that that crime rates began to drop, until then Limerick's gardai were massively understaffed. Same problem can be told for many services in Limerick, and from what I've heard, Cork too.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

jhegarty wrote:
    its the way the "man" in dublin makes the real capital look smaller...
    I know there’s a long Irish tradition of blaming the wrong people, particularly if the real culprit is standing beside you. But that mindset has to change sometime. The issue with boundary changes has to do with local interests, and not Dublin. Limerick and Waterford have well known problems caused by Clare and Kilkenny. As regards Cork, a poster on another board here recalled
    The main reason they won't extend the boundary is territorialism and money. The county won't give up the lucrative rates paid in these city suburbs. As Fianna Fail's Martin Corry TD said more than 50 years ago, "Not an inch to those city scallywags".
    Both Limerick and Cork have suffered for years from neglect from Dublin.
    Looking on this as a Dublin vs Limerick/Cork thing is the wrong perspective. You’ll have noticed that the main concentration of population growth is in the counties around Dublin, illustrating one of the outcomes of the failure to invest in the capital’s infrastructure. The real divide in Irish society is cities vs small towns/rural, and the whole Dublin fetish distracts from that.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The census took place on the weekend of the Munster match apparently (they say it had no bearing though). Interesting that it's Cork and Limerick

Of course it has no bearing. You also mention on the form the people who are ordinarily resident in the premises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

parsi wrote:
    Of course it has no bearing. You also mention on the form the people who are ordinarily resident in the premises.

how can you say that...80 thousand people traveled from cork and limerick

• Advertisement

Because as I already said the form requries information on those household members who are temporarily away (eg in Lanzarotte or Cardiff or Salthill)

See page 3 > http://www.cso.ie/census/documents/censusform_2006.pdf

parsi wrote:
    Because as I already said the form requries information on those household members who are temporarily away (eg in Lanzarotte or Cardiff or Salthill)

See page 3 > http://www.cso.ie/census/documents/censusform_2006.pdf

well we were away that weekend and when i told the collector she said that i could not fill out the census if i was out of the country on that day and came around with another form to sign to say i was out of the country...
    could you explain that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Did you not fill out your census form yourself? It clearly asks you for your normal address... so even if people filled out the form on the night they were supposed to saying they are currently in limerick.. their usual place of residence would have been cork :D

And if people were thinking more like me.. they would have filled it out the moment they got the form so they would not have to worry about it again.

well we were away that weekend and when i told the collector she said that i could not fill out the census if i was out of the country on that day and came around with another form to sign to say i was out of the country...
    could you explain that.

Maybe they count those forms ? :rolleyes:

Saruman wrote:
    Did you not fill out your census form yourself? It clearly asks you for your normal address... so even if people filled out the form on the night they were supposed to saying they are currently in limerick.. their usual place of residence would have been cork :D

And if people were thinking more like me.. they would have filled it out the moment they got the form so they would not have to worry about it again.
    that my friend would have been illegal...

i was away the night we were suppose to fill out the form...away..out of the country. when i explained this she said that this was perfectly OK..i asked then would i fill it in after we got back and she said no...it was supposed to be filled out that night and if not in the country on that night then not to fill it in at all.
    and just sign another form saying all residents were out of the country that night...
    so i for one along with my wife and two kids were not picked up in the census...

that's why i do believe that the mass exodus over toe the match would have a big effect on the census results in cork and limerick...which (as the results show) it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

that's why i do believe that the mass exodus over toe the match would have a big effect on the census results in cork and limerick...which (as the results show) it did.
    Agree with daveirl: (1) Match was in Dublin, not outside the country; (2) match was in the afternoon, most people day tripped and probably rushed back to the Sin Bin/Rearden's/wherever to celebrate that night; [3] even if you were staying in a hotel in Dublin on the night of the 23rd of April you would have been counted there. Your normal place of residence (such as Cork or Limerick) would be noted on the form, so you would have been counted as a resident of your home town. Unless the CSO haven't got around to looking at this section yet.

Maybe no one could remember where they were on Sunday night when they woke up on Monday?

daveirl wrote:

sorry, got my dates mixed up....
    that would make sense.

Advertisement