Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspicious Netgear Router log entries

Options
  • 19-07-2006 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

I have remote desktop enabled on my Mac at home via VNC, and my Netgear router is telling me something is trying to access it on this port (see below). I have a good password set, but should I be worried ?

What are the chances of this being just port scanning rather than a human actually trying to access the machine ?

The source IP's (which I've edited out below) are different everytime, and it's happening probably once a day.

Tue, 2006-07-18 15:00:12 - TCP Packet - Source:[EDITED_OUT],60628 Destination:[EDITED_OUT],5900 - [VNC-Mini rule match]
    Wed, 2006-07-19 03:49:22 - TCP Packet - Source:[EDITED_OUT],3709 Destination:[EDITED_OUT],5900 - [VNC-Mini rule match]
    Wed, 2006-07-19 08:19:53 - TCP Packet - Source:[EDITED_OUT],2025 Destination:[EDITED_OUT],5900 - [VNC-Mini rule match]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Squeegee

Hi,
    you could try changing the port of the VNC server and see if it happens again (if it does then its a scanner). Another line of defence you could try is a "port knocker" - tho don't know if there is one available for the MAC...

Advertisement