Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My *First* W/C Project!!!

Options
  • 19-07-2006 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hurrah for me!!
    i didnt manage to flood the place, nor burn the house down!! which, let me tell you is a great Achievement!!! - i couldnt even keep turtles without flooding the house!! so you could see why i was a bit nervous when it comes to Water cooling!!

So i have a self built Pentium 4 3Ghz - its a prescott, so temps were anywhere between 37 - 46c....well up into the 40's with this hot weather!! i changed out the stock heatsink, if you could call it that, a hamster running on a wheel mounted to the mobo would have cooled the cpu better than that Train!!! I replaced it with a Zalman "ultra quiet" cpu cooler.....can't say i agreed on the "ultra Quiet" bit, but it was a good fan....oh and wayyyyyyyy quieter than the stock HS, so i was happpy and with my temps down from in the 50's i couldnt have asked for a better fan!!

But with the weather the way it is...thought it were best to try and get the temps down, tried speeding up the zalman, but didnt make much of a difference....so i bit the bullet......bought a watercooling kit!!

Asetek WaterChill - Purchased From hopefull on the wonderful adverts.ie i recieved it about 2 weeks ago, and then found out the block didnt fit my skt 775....So ordered a block off alphacool.de...great site!!!

had to cut my case to slot in the 120mm rad......note to self get a better dremel!!!!..... i have an aska amber 120mm fan cooling the rad, ive no gpu block yet....funds are tight atm....so its jsut Rad>CPU

Installing it was MUCH easier than i thought it would be....had to take off the mobo, but had to anyways when installing the zalman so not worries there!!!

i had it leak tested for about 1 hour and all was fine!! not a drop. so installed the cpu block and tidied everything up! im telling you if i werent already sweating with the heat...i was sweating turning on the switch with everything wired up........

But enough waffle here are some pics!!
    watercooled005.jpg
    The 'Oh what a mess" Before picture!!!
    watercooled002.jpg
    Leak testing.....
    watercooled004.jpg
    The Res - cute!!
    watercooled007.jpg
    Hurrahh!!!! no leaks!!!!! The final

Still quite messy, but thats enough for today!!

SOrry for waffling on...maybe someone might find this helpful!!

Not bad for a girl eh?!?;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Gurls on the internet? Surely not!
    Back on topic, I haven't tried water cooling yet but maybe I will on my new rig at some stage. It doesn't look too bad but needs tidying. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sarahn11

oh yeah it does....need to get rid of the ide drives, will be sticking them into a NAS so i will just have a sate drive in there....hopefully!

need to sort out the psu too.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Well done, how is it noise wise (dbl) and what would your max load temps and idle temps be?

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

I think is fantastic! well done send some picks of the Rad location aalways interesting ? also, you got a UV light so you can monitor drips and the like!

what about your O'cling ? and temps, the hot weather will impact them and 2 120mm fans would be better than one ;-) is it a single or dula rad?

tis a single Rad.....had it running for nearly 3 hours now, and i can see that i will deffo need another fan!!! temps still at 38 so still alot lower than my old hs

no o/cing done yet, will get onto that soon....just wanted to see how dreamatic the temps and noise diff would be!

as for the noise....all i can hear is the hdd,the small fan on my gpu and my psu, which to be fair aint the best anyways, but overall alot quieter than before!

will post up some more piccies tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

the weather will effect the teps at the moment! and those Prescotts run HOT!!! so take your time!

Looking forward to more pics :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭poggy

looking good, nice job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

good job. :D post more pics when ya get it tidied up. u'll not keep your temps down in this weather. prob be ****ty next week so you can push it to the max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

Thats looking good....more pics needed though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

well done on taking the jump to WC'ing, you wont look back :)

**and its the first time iv ever heard a res being described as "cute" lol

CC

• Advertisement

CombatCow wrote:

**and its the first time iv ever heard a res being described as "cute" lol

CC

Well I reckon my Cape Coolplex res's are cute too :D

lol...i thought it was little and cute......meh...most of the res ive seen on here and bittech are massive things!!

will get some more pics up, am highly ashamed about the mess of the case at the min.....and also i REAAALLY need to sleep right now, so it will have to wait til later!

cheers for all the comments, ive so many new ideas now....ive got the modding bug!!! lol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Up til 9am modding, eh?

h4rdc0re smile.gif

Nice to see it. Now spray the inside of your case.

SyxPak wrote:
    Up til 9am modding, eh?

h4rdc0re smile.gif

Nice to see it. Now spray the inside of your case.

lol ah sure i know im 3l!t3 zzlolzzz...... ha ha ha!!!

Working nights is a B!tch!!
    ok so heres a few more pics..... i have a uv cathode on order to bring out the uv dye in the cooling fluid , although it came out quite well in the photos....

Seriously have to get myself a decent dremel to fix the cuts in the case....my 9.99 roches stores special really is cack! Where abouts could i pick up a decent/cheap one??

was also thinking of removing the lower hard drive cage, and buy a mount for the hdd so that it will fit in the drive bay, but im worried the was will be very weak without it....that was theres more room to fit the res, and maybe i could mount it on the rear wall.....

Also gonna have to get a window for this piece of eye candy.....but again gotta get a dremel first....

ok few more pics!
    watercooled010.jpg
    The Rad position.....there is a 120mm fan on the outside of my case which the Rad is mounted to....sorry for the Aweful cuts...im ashamed!! lol!!

watercooled013.jpg
    the best pic of the cpu block i have.....

watercooled009.jpg
    The whole shebang! still very very messy, but really think if i remove the cage, i can organise things a bit better......

temps around 37 today, but it is very humid here today....

sarahn11 wrote:
    Seriously have to get myself a decent dremel to fix the cuts in the case....my 9.99 roches stores special really is cack! Where abouts could i pick up a decent/cheap one??
    http://www.google.ie/search?q=tools+dremel

100euro or so would buy you a quality tool. no such thing as a cheap dremel - aside from 2nd hand :/

have to get one myself.

Dremel kits start at under €60 in B&Q. Don't be tempted to get the cordless one as it lacks power.

:)

will have to check that out........generally speaking..i don't really trust anything without wires...lol

sarahn11 wrote:
    will have to check that out........generally speaking..i don't really trust anything without wires...lol

:::::::this space reserved for next poster to make 'bra' joke:::::::::

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

your lost sig takes all the fun out of reading your posts

as for without wires comments..... mobiles??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

A few questions

What sort of water did you use?

Are you relying on the Anti Fungal solution that comes with the Asetek kit and Uv dye to remove Bacteria and Calcium deposits as well as loop corosion?

Speaking from experiance here.

• Advertisement

krazy_8s wrote:
    A few questions

What sort of water did you use?

Are you relying on the Anti Fungal solution that comes with the Asetek kit and Uv dye to remove Bacteria and Calcium deposits as well as loop corosion?

Speaking from experiance here.

LOL @hopeful!!

I bought a 'cooling solution' from alphacool, as well as a bottle of uv dye...what else would you reccomend??

hopeful wrote:
    Dremel kits start at under €60 in B&Q. Don't be tempted to get the cordless one as it lacks power.

:)
    Yeah, but you need one with a good rotational speed range ie. 5-9,000 up to 33,000rpm as the lower-end is useful for cutting arylic etc.

A flexishaft and stand is also very useful, as is the router attachment.

I'm saving up for a Multi-Pro 400 and the above.

You can't really spend too much on good quality tools - provided you're going to get the use out of em.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

sarahn11 wrote:
    LOL @hopeful!!

I bought a 'cooling solution' from alphacool, as well as a bottle of uv dye...what else would you reccomend??

Di-ionised water is a must have and most "cooling solutions" do very little. Anti freeze works best as long as you dont put too much in. Otherwise the blocks and loop corrode and the water becomes acidik. You can buy di-ionised water in Car parts shops as well as antifreeze. I vaugely remember somebody around here picked up a bottle of the best stuff to use, cant remember who it was or what the stuff was called though. I'm sure somebody else will point it out.

sarahn11 wrote:
    LOL @hopeful!!

Which stuff did you get? I used the Tec-Protect UV as it gives a good glow and you don't have to mix it.
    Also used the TEc-Protect Plus which has a slightly pink colour. Both gave very good performance with no cloudiness or other issues.

yeah, think it was that, ive thrown out the bottle, it came ready mixed, althought i did have to add the uv dye...

Advertisement