Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lip Piercing

Options
  • 19-07-2006 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

I got my lip done about two months ago. (It though the right side!). Anyhow, I put a ring in it about a week and a half ago, couldn’t get the ball in so just left it the way it was, took it out on Wednesday for a x-ray and put a bar in. Anyhow that evening I put the ring back in and seen as I couldn’t out the ball in I tightend it with a pliers, maybe not a good idea but was at the time!! Didn’t think I would need it out again. Anyhow it was getting a bit sore over the next few days then on Saturday morning when I woke up my lip was all swollen. Went messing trying to cut the ring of, didn’t work, eventually the inside half slipped out of the hole and the other half stayed in. After a lot of messing it eventually came out! I couldn’t get a bar in after that as it was to sore to and really swollen. So thought I would let it kind of calm down a bit and leave it alone for a while.

On Monday night I got an earring and managed to get that through, used that as it has a smaller bar thickness. Anyhow I have a bar I bought meant for a lip in but it’s not long enough to put a ball on to. What I want to know is there any tips that anyone has for getting a bigger thickness bar in to my lip? Or should I kind of do it slowly? Might be a stupid question but thought I would ask those in the know!!

Sorry for such a long post but thought it would help!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Uh....
    Leave it alone you mad spoon, the more you mess with it, the more it will swell and probably get infected.

Wait for it to fully heal up and then go back into your piercer to re-pierce it. re-piercings have a tendency to be a lot cheaper then a whole new piercing.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

cool thanks for the advice!! was gonna leave it in the first place but didnt!! The swellein has gone down its just like a fresh piercing i guess!? When i had left it at first it was kinda like a lump on it, thats gone now and its near enought back to how it was before , it had actually healed up, it was just the ring that messed it up, was to tight to.. kept gettin caught to..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Rich_Why

Well whatever you do, if you try something that doesn't work again don't go yanking at your piercing with a pliers!:rolleyes:

i learnt my lesson believe me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Just for future reference, next time you get it done leave it the hell alone until it's fully healed!
    The more you handle a new piercing the more chance it has of getting infected. "A lot of messing" is the absolute last thing you want to be doing with it.

If you absolutely have to move it about for some reason (such as an x-ray), make sure your hands are thoroughly clean and any new jewellery you put in it is sterilised beforehand. Then only do the absolute minimum amount of touching you have to do.
    Good luck :)

• Advertisement

it was healed. I had it done around two months beofre i put the ring in. I think it was the fact taht the ring was to tight that messed it up... and i cleaned everything before i used them, with medical swabs. i might have been stupid usin the pliars but not stupid enough not ta have cleaned it.

i had my lip done before and never had any problems with it. Any how thanks forall yer help! Much appeciated!

I hate to tell ya but two months isn't fully healed :) It may appear to be quite healed on the outside and you'll be able to move the jewellery around freely and such, but it takes up to about a year for most piercings to be "settled" enough that you won't run the risk of infection by fiddling with them.

I wasn't having a go mate, don't worry. And I wasn't suggesting you personally didn't clean everything first, just leaving the information there for anybody who happens to come along needing similar advice, etc.

actually i didnt know that it wouldnt have fully healed for up to a year, thanks for that info.. i have a bar from when it was done at first in and its pkish, but gonna leave it like that for a few weeks at least!

I did mine after a friend and his was perfect, and his was done bout 2 weeks after me. Ya i know diff people have diff healing times.. Thought i was pretty fast tho...

Thanks for all d help people!!

Yeah, like you said, it varies from person to person.

And about the year thing, there is of course no absolute guarantee that your piercing will get infected if you touch it, etc. (as above), but it's a pretty big risk to take if you want the healing process to go as smoothly as possible.

I've had piercings in the past that I've messed about with no end and they've come to no harm, and others that have just caused constant problems for sometimes even longer than a year no matter how careful I've been with them. Just goes to show :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Kivun Sotilas

What everyone else said.. I'd like to add that for my lip piercing, I got it caught once on a dress when taking it off and it sort of ripped it a little bit, I left the bar in though. That day I went swimming in the ocean (this was in Australia though) and by night time it was totally healed up and not swollen at all. Perhaps cleaning with warm salt water will help ease the infection and swelling as medical swipes are pretty rough on the skin and drying. I use a tea tree face wash on mine usually but it might also be a bit harsh on a new piercing.

I always found that putting a ring in made it swell up though even after years.

• Advertisement

What everyone else said.. I'd like to add that for my lip piercing, I got it caught once on a dress when taking it off and it sort of ripped it a little bit, I left the bar in though. That day I went swimming in the ocean (this was in Australia though) and by night time it was totally healed up and not swollen at all. Perhaps cleaning with warm salt water will help ease the infection and swelling as medical swipes are pretty rough on the skin and drying. I use a tea tree face wash on mine usually but it might also be a bit harsh on a new piercing.

I always found that putting a ring in made it swell up though even after years.
    Good idea Kivun, might be worth a try. OP, if you do try this make sure you use pure sea salt and not table salt or any other muck. And Kivan is right about the medical wipes too, they're too harsh.

The reason the ring sometimes causes aggravation if the piercing has been healed with a bar is because pressure is suddenly being put on the skin to stretch into a curve. I've had the same problem with various piercings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Kivun Sotilas

Good idea Kivun, might be worth a try. OP, if you do try this make sure you use pure sea salt and not table salt or any other muck. And Kivan is right about the medical wipes too, they're too harsh.

The reason the ring sometimes causes aggravation if the piercing has been healed with a bar is because pressure is suddenly being put on the skin to stretch into a curve. I've had the same problem with various piercings.

Yeah it felt like the edge was sort of stretching or something and it would swell there to make a curve so I never really wore a ring too much hassle.

Aye, that's the exact feeling. It's not very pleasant at all :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭[QJ]Serideth

idunno78 wrote:
    I got my lip done about two months ago. (It though the right side!).
    Awasome,me too actualy.
    Anyhow, I put a ring in it about a week and a half ago, couldn’t get the ball in so just left it the way it was, took it out on Wednesday for a x-ray and put a bar in. Anyhow that evening I put the ring back in and seen as I couldn’t out the ball in I tightend it with a pliers, maybe not a good idea but was at the time!!
    Dude, I did the EXACT same thing, thinging it was smart, but it really wasn't, belive me, we all make mistakes like that.
    Didn’t think I would need it out again. Anyhow it was getting a bit sore over the next few days then on Saturday morning when I woke up my lip was all swollen. Went messing trying to cut the ring of, didn’t work, eventually the inside half slipped out of the hole and the other half stayed in. After a lot of messing it eventually came out! I couldn’t get a bar in after that as it was to sore to and really swollen. So thought I would let it kind of calm down a bit and leave it alone for a while.
    Hehe, I put a sissors in between mine and ggot a friend to open it while I held the ring to it would un-strech it, the dumbass cut my lip when he closed it >_>
    On Monday night I got an earring and managed to get that through, used that as it has a smaller bar thickness. Anyhow I have a bar I bought meant for a lip in but it’s not long enough to put a ball on to. What I want to know is there any tips that anyone has for getting a bigger thickness bar in to my lip? Or should I kind of do it slowly? Might be a stupid question but thought I would ask those in the know!!
    I think you would be better off let it heal and get it re-pierced again.

Sorry for such a long post but thought it would help!?[/QUOTE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭darkflower

aww! lip piercing could be painful.. doesn't your tounge feel irritated rubbing a strange object in there? nevertheless, clean it up always lest you want it to get infected. :(

darkflower wrote:
    aww! lip piercing could be painful.. doesn't your tounge feel irritated rubbing a strange object in there? nevertheless, clean it up always lest you want it to get infected. :(
    Actualy, the piercing itself is strangly painless, but with ring it not as sore as it is annoying, I think that may have something to do with the size though. As for irritated, I love rubbing the metal, it's addicting, I don't bite my nails anymore as a result of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Mind you dont rub it too much, i did that and caused my lip to grow over it. Leave it be! :D

Wilburt wrote:
    Mind you dont rub it too much, i did that and caused my lip to grow over it. Leave it be! :D
    Um, what do you mean your lip grew over it? o_O
    You have me worried now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Eh the flesh under the flat backed labret jewellery, i was licking and playing with it so much that i encouraged the skin to lap over the jewellery. Dont worry about it at all. If you can see the flat back of the jewellery when you turn your lip out you are fine, wont matter if you have a ring.
    Sorry didnt mean to put the sh!ts up ya ;)

Wilburt wrote:
    Eh the flesh under the flat backed labret jewellery, i was licking and playing with it so much that i encouraged the skin to lap over the jewellery. Dont worry about it at all. If you can see the flat back of the jewellery when you turn your lip out you are fine, wont matter if you have a ring.
    Sorry didnt mean to put the sh!ts up ya ;)
    Haha, ok, well I change the jewlery every now and again, so I should be ok, mostly using labrets anyway and I can't see skin growing over the big cylinder at the back :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement