Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Islamic wisdom

• 19-07-2006 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭

Hi!

I am not a muslim, but I have read the Qu'ran (in translation), and here are some of my favourite quotes.

Maybe you have some favourite quotes, too?

41:34
    Good deeds and evil deeds can never be equal.
    Repel evil with good,
    then you will see
    that even one with whom you had enmity
    will become as though he were an intimate friend.

23:96
    Therefore, counter their evil works with goodness; we are fully aware of their claims.

28:54
    To these we grant twice the reward, because they steadfastly persevere. They counter evil works with good works, and from our provisions to them, they give.

39:18
    They are the ones who examine all words, then follow the best. These are the ones whom GOD has guided; these are the ones who possess intelligence.

17:36
    You shall not accept any information, unless you verify it for yourself. I have given you the hearing, the eyesight, and the brain, and you are responsible for using them.

5:87

"O YOU who have attained to faith! Do not deprive yourselves of the good things of life which God has made lawful to you, but do not transgress the bounds of what is right"...

2:256
    There shall be no compulsion in religion:

(Except for 41:34 and 5:87 all translations are by Dr. Rashad Khalifa, Ph.D. The translations of 41:34 and 5:87 I found on another forum, and I don't know who's made them.)

Maitri

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

WOW!! Very very nice thread Maitri :)

The verses you posted are indeed great. I find it strange to say that any verse in particular are my favourites.

There's the obvious
    Al-Baqara:256
    "There shall be no compulsion in religion"
    as you've already said.

I tend to have some favourite suras (chapters).

Al-Asr,
    Al-Alaq (contains first ever revealed verses),
    ADuha,
    ASharh,
    Al-Ikhlas,
    Al-Qadr,
    Al-A'la
    and of course, Al-Fatiha.

You know, sometimes when I'm reading the Quran, I read a verse and say to myself "I like that one in particular" but none of them spring to my mind at the moment. Must write them down next time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭babyvaio

the_new_mr wrote:
    WOW!! Very very nice thread Maitri :)

The verses you posted are indeed great. I find it strange to say that any verse in particular are my favourites.

There's the obvious
    Al-Baqara:256
    "There shall be no compulsion in religion"
    as you've already said.

I tend to have some favourite suras (chapters).

Al-Asr,
    Al-Alaq (contains first ever revealed verses),
    ADuha,
    ASharh,
    Al-Ikhlas,
    Al-Qadr,
    Al-A'la
    and of course, Al-Fatiha.

You know, sometimes when I'm reading the Quran, I read a verse and say to myself "I like that one in particular" but none of them spring to my mind at the moment. Must write them down next time :)

The whole Qur'an is amazing.
    I would add chapter An-Naba as one of my favourites and Al-Ikhlas too. And the last 3 verses of sura Al-Hashr and the last 3 verses of sure Al-Baqarah of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭maitri

the_new_mr wrote:

Good idea. :)
    babyvaio wrote:
    The whole Qur'an is amazing.
    I would add chapter An-Naba as one of my favourites and Al-Ikhlas too. And the last 3 verses of sura Al-Hashr and the last 3 verses of sure Al-Baqarah of course.

For some reason I can't find Al-Hashr. Which number is it?

Surat Al-Hashr is sura number 59.

the_new_mr wrote:
    Surat Al-Hashr is sura number 59.

Thanks! :) I'll look it up then.

You know, one of the things that really impresses and fascinates me about the Qu’ran is the way it really stresses that everybody (not only the scholars and not only muslims, as I understand it), should think for themselves and reflect on life, the nature and the teachings.

As I have mentioned earlier, there is this passage of the Qu'ran:

17:36
    You shall not accept any information, unless you verify it for yourself. I have given you the hearing, the eyesight, and the brain, and you are responsible for using them.

And this:

39:18
    They are the ones who examine all words, then follow the best. These are the ones whom GOD has guided; these are the ones who possess intelligence.

But there are also several other places where the Qu’ran urges everyone to reflect. A young Norwegian Muslim (Nadeem from reflekterselv.com) also made me aware of these quotes:

2:219
    ...GOD thus clarifies the revelations for you, that you may reflect,

2:266
    ...GOD thus clarifies the revelations for you, that you may reflect.

3:191
    They remember GOD while standing, sitting, and on their sides, and they reflect upon the creation of the heavens and the earth...

6:050
    ...Say, "Is the blind the same as the seer? Do you not reflect?"

7:176
    Narrate these narrations, that they may reflect.

7:184
    Why do they not reflect upon their friend (the messenger)?

16:011
    With it, He grows for you crops, olives, date palms, grapes, and all kinds of fruits. This is (sufficient) proof for people who think.

16:013
    And (He created) for you on earth things of various colors. This is a (sufficient) proof for people who take heed.

16:044
    We provided them with the proofs and the scriptures. And we sent down to you this message, to proclaim for the people everything that is sent down to them, perhaps they will reflect.

16:069
    Then eat from all the fruits, following the design of your Lord, precisely. From their bellies comes a drink of different colors, wherein there is healing for the people. This should be (sufficient) proof for people who reflect.

23:068
    Why do they not reflect upon this scripture?...

30:008
    Do they not reflect in their own minds?...

30:21
    ...In this, there are sufficient proofs for people who think.

10:024
    We thus explain the revelations for people who reflect.

4:082
    Why do they not study the Quran carefully?...

16:044
    We provided them with the proofs and the scriptures. And we sent down to you this message, to proclaim for the people everything that is sent down to them, perhaps they will reflect.

23:068
    Why do they not reflect upon this scripture?..

39:27
    And verily We have coined for mankind in this Qur'an all kinds of similitudes, that haply they may reflect;

45:013
    ..These are proofs for people who reflect.

39:42
    ..This should provide lessons for people who reflect.

34:046
    Say, "I ask you to do one thing: Devote yourselves to GOD, in pairs or as individuals, then reflect. ...

59:21
    We cite these examples for the people, that they may reflect

86:005
    Let the human reflect on his creation.

88:017
    Why do they not reflect on the camels and how they are created?

38:029
    This is a scripture that we sent down to you, that is sacred - perhaps they reflect on its verses. Those who possess intelligence will take heed.

47:024
    Why do they not study the Qu’ran carefully? Do they have locks on their minds?

I also really appreciate the Islamic principle of never to do anything that you think will have bad consequences out of religious or traditional reasons:

7:28
    They commit a gross sin, then say, "We found our parents doing this, and GOD has commanded us to do it." Say, "GOD never advocates sin. Are you saying about GOD what you do not know?"
    7:29
    Say, "My Lord advocates justice

I feel that these wonderful principles from the Qu’ran is indeed a very good base for dialogue with people of other religions or philosophies.

M.

• Advertisement

Another great post Maitri. Thanks! :)

The Quran places a lot of importance on knowledge and how important it is to seek it. Indeed, it is an obligation.

I agree with you, they are good verses that can help in dialogue between peoples.

Allah! There is no God save Him, the Alive, the Eternal. Neither slumber nor sleep overtaketh Him. Unto Him belongeth whatsoever is in the heavens and whatsoever is in the earth. Who is he that intercedeth with Him save by His leave? He knoweth that which is in front of them and that which is behind them, while they encompass nothing of His knowledge save what He will. His throne includeth the heavens and the earth, and He is never weary of preserving them. He is the Sublime, the Tremendous.

2:255

There is no compulsion in religion. The right direction is henceforth distinct from error. And he who rejecteth false deities and believeth in Allah hath grasped a firm hand hold which will never break. Allah is Hearer, Knower.

2:256

Allah is-the Protecting Friend of those who believe. He bringeth them out of darkness into light. As for those who disbelieve, their patrons are false deities. They bring them out of light into darkness. Such are rightful owners of the Fire. They will abide therein.

2:257

The messenger believeth in that which hath been revealed unto him from his Lord and (so do) the believers. Each one believeth in Allah and His angels and His scriptures and His messengers We make no distinction between any of His messengers and they say: We hear, and we obey. (Grant us) Thy forgiveness, our Lord. Unto Thee is the journeying.

2:285

Allah tasketh not a soul beyond its scope. For it (is only) that which it hath earned, and against it (only) that which it hath deserved. Our Lord! Condemn us not if we forget, or miss the mark! Our Lord! Lay not on us such a burden as Thou didst lay on those before us! Our Lord! Impose not on us that which we have not the strength to bear! Pardon us, absolve us and have mercy on us, Thou, our Protector, and give us victory over the disbelieving folk.

2:286

55. Ar-Rahmân : Most Gracious

In the Name of Allah, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful.

The Beneficent
    Hath made known the Quran.
    He hath created man.
    He hath taught him utterance.
    The sun and the moon are made punctual.
    The stars and the trees adore.
    And the sky He hath uplifted; and He hath set the measure,
    That ye exceed not the measure,
    But observe the measure strictly, nor fall short thereof.
    And the earth hath He appointed for (His) creatures,
    Wherein are fruit and sheathed palm trees
    Husked grain and scented herb.
    Which is it, of the favors of your Lord, that ye deny?
    He created man of clay like the potter's,
    And the Jinn did He create of smokeless fire.
    Lord of the two Easts, and Lord of the two Wests!
    He hath loosed the two seas. They meet.
    There is a barrier between them. They encroach not (one upon the other).
    Which is it, of the favors of your Lord: that ye deny?
    There cometh forth from both of them the pearl and coral stone.
    His are the ships displayed upon the sea, like banners.
    Everyone that is thereon will pass away;
    There remaineth but the countenance of thy Lord of Might and Glory.
    All that are in the heavens and the earth entreat Him. Every day He exerciseth (universal) power.
    We shall dispose of you, O ye two dependents (man and jinn).
    O company of jinn and men, if ye have power to penetrate (all) regions of the heavens and the earth; then penetrate (them)! Ye will never penetrate them save with (Our) sanction.
    There will be sent, against you both, heat of fire and flash of brass, and ye will not escape.
    And when the heaven splitteth asunder and becometh rosy like red hide
    On that day neither man nor jinn will be questioned of his sin.
    The guilty will be known by their marks, and will he taken by the forelocks and the feet.
    This is Hell which the guilty deny.
    They go circling round between it and fierce, boiling water.
    But for him who feareth the standing before his Lord there are two gardens.
    Of spreading branches.
    Wherein are two fountains flowing.
    Wherein is every kind of fruit in pairs.
    Reclining upon couches lined with silk brocade, the fruit of both gardens near to hand.
    Therein are those of modest gaze, whom neither man nor jinn will have touched before them,
    (In beauty) like the jacinth and the coral stone.
    Is the reward of goodness aught save goodness?
    And beside them are two other gardens,
    Dark green with foliage.
    Wherein are two abundant springs.
    Wherein is fruit, the date palm and pomegranate
    Wherein (are found) the good and beautiful.
    Fair ones, close guarded in pavilions
    Whom neither man nor jinn will have touched before them
    Reclining on green cushions and fair carpets.
    Blessed be the of thy Lord, Mighty and Glorious!

This Sura really comes straight into one's heart. So many favors of our Lord and we still keep forgetting about most of them...

"Allah is-the Protecting Friend of those who believe..."

Very comforting words :)

Another of my most favourite verses:

Al-Baqara:186
    "And if My servants ask thee about Me - behold, I am near; I respond to the call of him who calls, whenever he calls unto Me: let them, then, respond unto Me, and believe in Me, so that they might follow the right way."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭zap27

hi. i'm not a muslim either but here are some of my favorite quotes:

Muslims are encouraged to be wholly occupied (Sura 2:273) with fighting for Allah's cause.

- Allah will give "a far richer recompense to those who fight for him" (Sura 4:96).

- Regarding infidels (unbelievers), they are the Muslim's "inveterate enemies" (Sura 4:101). Muslims are to "arrest them, besiege them and lie in ambush everywhere" (Sura 9:5) for them. They are to "seize them and put them to death wherever you find them, kill them wherever you find them, seek out the enemies of Islam relentlessly" (Sura 4:90). "Fight them until Islam reigns supreme" (Sura 2:193). "Cut off their heads, and cut off the tips of their fingers" (Sura 8:12).

- If a Muslim does not go to war, Allah will kill him (Sura 9:39). He is to be told, "the heat of war is fierce, but more fierce is the heat of Hell-fire" (Sura 9:81).

- A Muslim must "fight for the cause of Allah with the devotion due to him" (Sura 22:78)

- Muslims must make war on the infidels (unbelievers) who live around them (Sura 9:123).

- Muslims are to be "ruthless to unbelievers" (Sura 48:29).

- A Muslim should "enjoy the good things" he has gained by fighting (Sura 8:69).

- A Muslim can kill any person he wishes if it be a "just cause" (Sura 6:152).

- Allah loves those who "fight for his cause" (Sura 61:3).
    Anyone who fights against Allah or renounces Islam in favor of another religion shall be "put to death or crucified or have their hands and feet cut off alternative sides" (Sura 5:34).

- Whoever changes his Islamic religion, kill him. Sahih Al-Bukhari (9:57)

- Slay the idolaters wherever you find them, and take them captives and besiege them and lie in wait for them in every ambush. (Koran 9:5)

- Take him and fetter him and expose him to hell fire. (Koran 69:30-37)

- I will instill terror into the hearts of the unbelievers, Smite ye above their necks and smite all their finger tips of them. (Koran 8:12)

- They should be murdered or crucified or their hands and their feet should be cut off on opposite sides. (Koran 5:33)

- Know that paradise is under the shades of swords. Sahih al-Bukhari Vol 4 p55

Islam is a religion??? hah. Good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭blackthorn

Hey Zap,

You got yourself some quotes there. Ever wondered what the contexts of those are? Probably not eh? Looks like you let the folks over at whatever hate-site you copy-pasted them from do your thinking for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

blackthorn wrote:
    Hey Zap,

You got yourself some quotes there. Ever wondered what the contexts of those are? Probably not eh? Looks like you let the folks over at whatever hate-site you copy-pasted them from do your thinking for you.

Can you explain the context for me please? I'm curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

zap27 wrote:
    Islam is a religion??? hah. Good one.
    Whether you are debating reasonably or not in how you've picked your quotes is a matter of rhetorical technique and of whether or not the context of the rest of the scriptures justifies the quotes in some way, which is itself open to debate and on-topic.

This however is just rude, insulting nonsense (of course it's a religion, how to any of your quotes or anything else suggest otherwise).

Consider yourself warned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Based on Zaps other post in another thread (which I have now deleted as it added nothing to the thread) hes permantly banned.

I am leaving that post above so if people want to discuss on the context of such quotes (although I believe there has been a thread on this before).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭T-1111111111111

I think the flow of this thread should return to normal and the content should be where it is suppose to be - on Islamic wisdom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭blackthorn

Can you explain the context for me please? I'm curious.

To save this tread from derailing, I've pm'd you about this.

Hobbes wrote:
    Yes, all this has already been discussed. If anyone would like to know more then please PM me or place a post on the forum.
    I think the flow of this thread should return to normal and the content should be where it is suppose to be - on Islamic wisdom.
    Agreed.
    Blackthorn wrote:
    To save this tread from derailing, I've pm'd you about this.
    Nice one sister.

Are you familiar with the Islamic poet Jalal ad-Din Rumi?

I juste came across some quotes from him, some of them are so beautiful that they almost made me cry:

“The way you make love is the way
    God will be with you.”

“The minute I heard my first love story I started looking for you, not knowing how blind that was. Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along.”

“Don't grieve. Anything you lose comes round in another form.”

“Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.”

“ This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet.”

“Only from the heart Can you touch the sky.”

“Let the beauty of what you love be what you do.”

“Observe the wonders as they occur around you. Don't claim them. Feel the artistry moving through and be silent.”

“Everyone has been made for some particular work, and the desire for that work has been put in every heart.”

“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

“Every tree and plant in the meadow seemed to be dancing, those which average eyes would see as fixed and still”

“We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust”

“All day I think about it, then at night I say it. Where did I come from, and what am I supposed to be doing? I have no idea. My soul is from elsewhere, I'm sure of that, and I intend to end up there.”

“You were born with wings. Why prefer to crawl through life?”

“Something opens our wings. Something makes boredom and hurt disappear. Someone fills the cup in front of us: We taste only sacredness.”

“Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation.”

More Rumi-quotes on this page:

http://en.thinkexist.com/quotes/jalal_ad-din_rumi/

And about Rumi:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jalal_ad-Din_Muhammad_Rumi

Regards,

Maitri

Advertisement