Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uk Banking/Transfering Money

Options
  • 19-07-2006 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

I am moving to the Uk in under 2 weeks and i have about 5k or so that i will be bringing over with me.. Now i dont like the Idea of bringing over cash might bring over 1k and i plan to setup a bank account straight away, Question is what is the best way of transfering money over there?Is it easy to setup a bank acc over there?I have my House Contract etc So i have proof of Res in the uk..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Setting up an account here is much the same as setting one up in Ireland - you'll need proof off address, and proof of identity (i.e. passport). You'll have to ring the relevant branches to make an appointment - you can't just walk in to set up your account any more with most of the banks.

When your UK account is set up, just have your bank in Ireland transfer the money over. Your UK account will have a BIC and IBAN number similar to those on your Irish bank statement, which will allow your Irish bank to route the money to your UK one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I setup one in the BOI in the part of London I was living in, all I needed was my address and passport (that was a few years ago) but they are more awkward to setup nowadays more secure and such but you shouldn't have a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Ruu wrote:
    I setup one in the BOI in the part of London I was living in, all I needed was my address and passport (that was a few years ago) but they are more awkward to setup nowadays more secure and such but you shouldn't have a problem.
    I transfer money to my UK account with AIB online banking. I transfer in euro's using the IBAN and AIB don't charge me. HSBC don't charge me a fee and give me a good enough exchange rate (they convert from euro to sterling automatically) it takes about 3 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭RandomOne

Easiest way IMO is to open a UK account with the same bank you use in Ireland. It'll be easier to open as they'll be able to verify your identity using your Irish account (Still need proof of address in UK and passport tho) and easier to switch money between the accounts for when you're back here visiting.

Advertisement