Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dart Board

• 19-07-2006 4:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

Looking to buy a new dartboard as a bubble has appeared on the one I have at the moment. Was looking at argos.ie and they do a decent range. Has anyone any preference on dartboards???

The ones I'm looking at are:

Winmau Diamond €29.99

Winmau Blade III €38.99

Or a Unicorn PDC Eclipse €44.99

Any info on which one I should buy and also a way to prevent bubbles forming???

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mista-double

i purchased an eclipse pro which was on offer at jjb sports at half price £19.99.

bubbles i assume you mean a bump in the bristle is formed by overuse of that segment.

the best way to avoid this or at least cut down, is to spin your board on regular occasions this will make the board last longer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Unicorn Eclipse Pro is the best dartboard there is. Winmau Blade III is a close second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Cheers for the advice. Yeah I think the Eclipse Pro is the way to go, although I was reading up on it a bit and I noticed "Increased target area especially in Doubles and Trebles" do you think this is a good idea??? as I'm thinking of joining a local pub team and obviously I will be playing on a different board week in week out........and if I'm use to "an increased doubles and trebles area" do you think it would effect me???

bubbles i assume you mean a bump in the bristle is formed by overuse of that segment.

I'm happy now as the bump has appeared just over the treble twenty.......so thats a good sign.
    the best way to avoid this or at least cut down, is to spin your board on regular occasions this will make the board last longer.
    Do you mean like spin the dart board and play with the double 3 on top of the board for a while???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Do you mean like spin the dart board and play with the double 3 on top of the board for a while???
    Take off the wire and put the 3 back down at the bottom.

Oh yeah. Cheers lads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

MBC wrote:
    Cheers for the advice. Yeah I think the Eclipse Pro is the way to go, although I was reading up on it a bit and I noticed "Increased target area especially in Doubles and Trebles" do you think this is a good idea??? as I'm thinking of joining a local pub team and obviously I will be playing on a different board week in week out........and if I'm use to "an increased doubles and trebles area" do you think it would effect me???

Well I guess it would effect you a bit but alot of pubs would have the Eclipse Pro dartboard because its the board used in all major PDC events so its basically "the" board to play on. Its up to yourself really.

Anyone know where to pick up a Unicorn Eclipse Pro in Dublin? Argos are out of them at the moment and won be able to get them in for a week and I would prefer to get one before then. My board is a bit worn and I need a new one.

Are Brefners still open and would they have one?

Yeah I went into Argos on Saturday...........but they can order them for ya to collect with 5 days.

I didn't order it as I was in 2 minds Dart Board OR More Gargle..........

I would be interested in finding out where sells them in Dublin also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 623 ✭✭✭hawker27

i picked up a unicorn striker for 20 euros in lifestyle the weekend,not a bad board but i find with the last one i had the wires snap around the trebles.

I have a board like that already but I wanna get the proper Eclipse Pro board because its the one thats used at all the tournaments and the target area for trebles and doubles is 30% larger because the wire is much thinner.

Ill prob just go and order one in Argos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Kingp35 wrote:
    I have a board like that already but I wanna get the proper Eclipse Pro board because its the one thats used at all the tournaments and the target area for trebles and doubles is 30% larger because the wire is much thinner.

Ill prob just go and order one in Argos.

If you're playing around the Dun Laoghaire Borough you're better off not getting the Eclipse Pro. There a very rare sight in the pubs where league games are played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I think its the wires are 30% thinner rather than the target area is 30% bigger. This will increase the target area of the doubles and trebles, but not by 30%.

There is a definite school of thought that you should practice with smaller target areas rather than bigger. Unicorn have just released a new board with smaller doubles and trebles - details can be found at the unicorn website.

My previous board was a crappy Unicorn one ("Hustler"), with standard round wires. I then purchased a Winmau Blade III, it has "diamond wire", basically triangular, which reduces bounce outs considerably. A big advantage for my home, as I need to protect my floor! IMO the Blade is the nicest looking board too. However, the next board I get will be the Unicorn Eclipse, as it practically eliminates bounce-outs altogether.

Well according the argos catalogue the Eclipse board increases the target area by 30% because of the thinner wires and there are no clips. I have one of those training boards your talking about Rooster, the trebles are absolutely tiny and so are the doubles.

I ordered my Eclipse Pro in Argos today but wont have it until next Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭DFD

Rosco1982 wrote:
    If you're playing around the Dun Laoghaire Borough you're better off not getting the Eclipse Pro. There a very rare sight in the pubs where league games are played.
    just to let ye know the bike shop in Patrick st. dun laoghaire and elverys in bray sell eclipse boards.the Dun Laoghaire league passed a motion at the A.G.M. that all teams must use eclipse or blade III for this coming season which starts 16th Oct. So hopefully you'll see alot more of them around.

DFD wrote:
    just to let ye know the bike shop in Patrick st. dun laoghaire and elverys in bray sell eclipse boards.the Dun Laoghaire league passed a motion at the A.G.M. that all teams must use eclipse or blade III for this coming season which starts 16th Oct. So hopefully you'll see alot more of them around.

I'd be willing to bet that isn't followed all around the league.

being honest i'd say your right.it's gonna be up to away team to report it and very few if any will do that.moan about it maybe but thats it.

DFD wrote:
    being honest i'd say your right.it's gonna be up to away team to report it and very few if any will do that.moan about it maybe but thats it.

It'll cause quite a few disagreements. The one thing I did notice at the meeting though is that even if a team doesn't have a standard board there's no punishment.

Rosco1982 wrote:
    It'll cause quite a few disagreements. The one thing I did notice at the meeting though is that even if a team doesn't have a standard board there's no punishment.
    the punishment should have been decided at the agm then there could be no arguements.they've left themselfs open for an awful lot of hassle if people start complaining.could be a busy time for the committee in the opening weeks of the league.

DFD wrote:
    the punishment should have been decided at the agm then there could be no arguements.they've left themselfs open for an awful lot of hassle if people start complaining.could be a busy time for the committee in the opening weeks of the league.

The committee seem to be a bit clueless.

Rumour has it the new McKenna's tuesday night team will be loaded with Monday night players too.

It'll be a barrell of laughs.

if a monday night player is going down to the tuesday night it usually means he can't get a game on the monday.if your in that league i wouldn't be overawed when you play them.rumour i've heard is that the monday Igo are bringing in a few wicklow players.

• Advertisement

DFD wrote:
    if a monday night player is going down to the tuesday night it usually means he can't get a game on the monday.if your in that league i wouldn't be overawed when you play them.rumour i've heard is that the monday Igo are bringing in a few wicklow players.

Most of the Wicklow players (the best ones anyway) are already playing with Fitzpatricks of Rathnew. The Igo haven't got too much room for improvement either, but I know what two players they really want (but they won't get them). The Tavern may be a bit weaker this year, since everybody seems to have fallen out with the new captain. Fitzpatricks will start as favourites and rightly so, the team to watch could be the Tassie though. One or two more players and they'll start upsetting the big three.

As for me on Tuesday night,l won't be overawed at all. I've only really been playing for 18 months ( I'm still learning) and I've improved a hell of a lot in the last 3. I've been asked to sign for 4 different Monday night teams already, but I want one more season on Tuesday just to get used to playing week in week out.

Rosco1982 wrote:
    Most of the Wicklow players (the best ones anyway) are already playing with Fitzpatricks of Rathnew. The Igo haven't got too much room for improvement either, but I know what two players they really want (but they won't get them). The Tavern may be a bit weaker this year, since everybody seems to have fallen out with the new captain. Fitzpatricks will start as favourites and rightly so, the team to watch could be the Tassie though. One or two more players and they'll start upsetting the big three.

As for me on Tuesday night,l won't be overawed at all. I've only really been playing for 18 months ( I'm still learning) and I've improved a hell of a lot in the last 3. I've been asked to sign for 4 different Monday night teams already, but I want one more season on Tuesday just to get used to playing week in week out.
    you're probaly better off doing another year in the tues. no point singing for a mon team and not getting a game every week.I know the tassie have signed aplayer from the tavern who they didn't want to lose and another player who will shock the big three.If they knew he was playing again they would have all tried to sign him.could be very interesting.

DFD wrote:
    you're probaly better off doing another year in the tues. no point singing for a mon team and not getting a game every week.I know the tassie have signed aplayer from the tavern who they didn't want to lose and another player who will shock the big three.If they knew he was playing again they would have all tried to sign him.could be very interesting.

Are his initials JD ?

Everyone has tried to get him to sign.

And the tavern players initials AOT ? He hasn't signed for anybody yet, but the tassie is the likeliest if he plays this season.

you got the first one right.The second one is now staying with the tavern apparantly.

DFD wrote:
    you got the first one right.The second one is now staying with the tavern apparantly.

I was speaking to him on Sunday and he said he hadn't decided, and was thinking of taking a break for a year.

Who do you play for yourself ?

I'd be very surprised if he took a year off.If you haven't guessed by now its the Tassie.Pretty happy with ourselfs with the signings.And as luck would have it we're playing the tavern next week in the first game.

Who are you playing with ?

DFD wrote:
    I'd be very surprised if he took a year off.If you haven't guessed by now its the Tassie.Pretty happy with ourselfs with the signings.And as luck would have it we're playing the tavern next week in the first game.

Who are you playing with ?

Just started in the Lough this year. Lots of players there and plenty of competition for places.

I was speaking to AOT on Sunday and he mentioned it, and JD has been trying to get another ex tavern player to sign with you too but I don't think he managed it.

I played with all three in the Igo five man tournament over the summer.

we played in the lough last monday.good bunch of lads up there,had a good laugh.
    There was a lad down last week looking to join ( ex tav LM ).But two signings were enough for us.We've a good balance to the team and don't want to upset that.Six lads not getting a game every week is enough to cope with.

DFD wrote:
    we played in the lough last monday.good bunch of lads up there,had a good laugh.
    There was a lad down last week looking to join ( ex tav LM ).But two signings were enough for us.We've a good balance to the team and don't want to upset that.Six lads not getting a game every week is enough to cope with.

I forgot you had signed PR too. LM would have taken you over the top, he's better than most of what you've got there, he rarely gets beaten in the pressure games late on.

• Advertisement

Meant to say earlier, let me know how you get on on Monday against the Tavern.

You should be capable of beating them.

Really looking forward to the tavern game.we'll be very disappointed if we don't take at least a point off them.Word is there is going to be a very hostile reception for us after taking there players.Ha ! Ha ! can't wait. The lads that signed for us are really up for it.
    Who are you playing Tuesday night ?

DFD wrote:
    Really looking forward to the tavern game.we'll be very disappointed if we don't take at least a point off them.Word is there is going to be a very hostile reception for us after taking there players.Ha ! Ha ! can't wait. The lads that signed for us are really up for it.
    Who are you playing Tuesday night ?

I know, I was playing with JD, PR and LM on Friday in the Wicklow League, JD in particular can't wait.

I think you'll be capable of doing them. JD + PR are capable of beating any one of their players. They haven't got the strength in depth anymore, if you beat one of their big three you should take the game.

We're playing the other team in the Lough on Tuesday, I won't be available though. Great way to start the season with a new club !

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭pad180

hello all . i play for a team in the league myself its nice to hear a bit of gossip on the darts ;no all joking aside i think this year could be very interesting . mon nights the tassie should be in the top 3 with the new signings they got, but i think the igo just might pip it from fitzers with new signing of D.F. that should give them the edge they lacked last season .as for the tues i think the lough have a great chance of coming up if not wining the league thats D.T. team they have a good bunch of lads there ,as for wed i think the lough ladys should b collecting alot of trophys again this year but the igo will pushing all the way ....keep in touch im sure ther will be alot we can chat about in the year ..best of luck to all for the season ahead ...

The tassie lost their first match, not a great start at all ! (No wonder DFD hadn't replied :D )

The Tuesday night league looks to be very competitive this year.

yeh only heard that on fri night .id say they wernt exspecting that ,was it close or were they well beaten ? yeh plus i heard that it nearly got out of hand in the lough on tues must make sure im there for the re match ha .

• Advertisement

Away all week ( gave me a chance to get over it ).We were expecting a tough game but not to be beaten 6-2.The match was closer than the scoreline suggests but a loss is a loss no matter the score.Early days yet plenty of time to get back into it.I've afeeling there will be more points dropped this year by all teams than usual.
    Tues will be a tough league this year a few teams in it that will be expecting to do well.Haven't heard yet what happened in the Lough ?welcome aboard pad180.
    Which team won up in the Lough ?

DFD wrote:
    Away all week ( gave me a chance to get over it ).We were expecting a tough game but not to be beaten 6-2.The match was closer than the scoreline suggests but a loss is a loss no matter the score.Early days yet plenty of time to get back into it.I've afeeling there will be more points dropped this year by all teams than usual.
    Tues will be a tough league this year a few teams in it that will be expecting to do well.Haven't heard yet what happened in the Lough ?welcome aboard pad180.
    Which team won up in the Lough ?

A very ....... eh..... "tense" game. DT's team won 5-3.

5 of the games went to the last double, not just the last leg. Nobody threw particularly well but it was hard fought.

There was a bit of banter and abuse early on, but the celebrations of the player who won the last leg annoyed quite a few people. Some got a bit aggressive about it. Apparently there was a few digs thrown in the carpark afterwards. But the player who celebrated wasn't involved, and I'm still not sure who was involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Is there any chance that someone could post a schedule for a few of these leagues ?

Is there any chance that someone could post a schedule for a few of these leagues ?

You'll find the Dun Laoghaire Borough dart league fixtures on www.darts.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Excellent.

Thanks much .....does anyone else have any of the league schedules ?

• Advertisement

hello all tues now the day after. just wondering about the results last night. i heard the igo had a decent win 7-1 againts the farm house and the lough were beaten 7-1 by fitzers second team any other results lets know cheers

pad180 wrote:
    hello all tues now the day after. just wondering about the results last night. i heard the igo had a decent win 7-1 againts the farm house and the lough were beaten 7-1 by fitzers second team any other results lets know cheers

7-1. :eek:

Come over tonight and watch some proper dart players playing!

Rosco1982 wrote:
    7-1. :eek:

Come over tonight and watch some proper dart players playing!

I think I'll keep my mouth shut in future.

We were beaten 5-3 last night. Awful stuff.

well rosco did i hear right .you were beaten last night did you play it was the farm house yeh ? i heard they have a couple of decent players or was it yous didnt play well ah well better now than later .what was the end result .

ah well thats darts for ya .the one thing iv learn,t over my short time playing darts is ;when you win its great but when you get beat it knocks you back to reality .but at the end of the day anybody is capable beaten anybody thats mon tues wed its all on the night but theres always next week to put right .

pad180 wrote:
    well rosco did i hear right .you were beaten last night did you play it was the farm house yeh ? i heard they have a couple of decent players or was it yous didnt play well ah well better now than later .what was the end result .

A bit of both really. Their first two in played really well. KB was the only one to win in the first five for us and he was brilliant. 4-1 down after five games is far from ideal. Then I won my game 2-0 , DT did the same and POC was beaten 2-0 .

pad180 wrote:
    Just a few results from mon night that i heard,Eagles 4-4 Horse + Hound,O'Connells 5-3 McKennas,Tassie 4-4 Playwright,BHFC 6-2 Gallops,Fitz red 6-2 Noggin Hunters.
    Any of yous have any problems getting onto the borough website.I cant get it at all.:confused:

hello all its been a while , hows the season going so far any results over the last couple of weeks let us know cheers... yeh also all the teams we played so far have all had the eclips pro boards which is good to see . i think they all are afraid that people can refuse to play if they dont have a proper board ,,i was on the borough dart league site and none of the leagues are updated whats the point on having a web site if you dont update it ......

Fitzpatricks A were held to a draw.I belief they were 4-2 down and were lucky to get back into it.I heard the lough had a good win v playwright.O'Connells beat ivory bar 5-3.Farmhouse beat Fitz B,Noggin beat H&H,Igo drew and Eagles beat Mckennas.
    So far all but one has had an eclipse board but it seems the message is getting through.

DFD wrote:
    Fitzpatricks A were held to a draw.I belief they were 4-2 down and were lucky to get back into it.I heard the lough had a good win v playwright.O'Connells beat ivory bar 5-3.Farmhouse beat Fitz B,Noggin beat H&H,Igo drew and Eagles beat Mckennas.
    So far all but one has had an eclipse board but it seems the message is getting through.

I haven't played on any one of the correct boards yet.

5 games and all of them have been on the ****ty Nodor boards (who sells them?) with staples all over them. I've won all five though so I shouldn't complain too much !:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement