Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PEP work abroad

• 19-07-2006 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

I'm just finished second year civil engineering and was wondering whats the best way to get 3rd year work placement abroad? Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

I am currently working in germany on work experience. There are a few ways of doing this i believe. I tried 2 ways originally.

One was to find of what universities abroad had erasmus links with my university. With erasmus you can either attend classes or do research projects(during summer period). However the only funding give for this is an erasmus grant which covers SFA tbh!

Another thing i did was to contact my depts international representive(in DCU). He had contacts with companies and universities where paid work was available. This yr 4 people went to a university of applied science in austria and got paid reasonably well for it(although work is boring apparently). On the otherhand i got placement in a company(automotive) in Germany. Which i find interesting. I think it is good to get into a company because you make many contacts and have possibilities of funding for research or employment in the future.

But there is "google" route of checking for internships and applying independently. If you need some further info just repost or pm me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 emma111

Hi Darren, I was wondering the same thing. Going to look for an internship next summer in mechanical/manufacturing. What kind of work are you doing at the moment in the automotive company?

Also, what do you think bout USA, do you know of anyone who got internships there/is it hard to get..and when do you reckon we should start looking for internships? Thanks in advance! :)

emma111 wrote:
    Hi Darren, I was wondering the same thing. Going to look for an internship next summer in mechanical/manufacturing. What kind of work are you doing at the moment in the automotive company?

Also, what do you think bout USA, do you know of anyone who got internships there/is it hard to get..and when do you reckon we should start looking for internships? Thanks in advance! :)

I am working in a place doing research and product development. I am currently work on a next generation device(mainly doing evaluation and optomisation using FEA and other techniques). I started looking in the summer before but in the end i got this off a lecturer(our international placement coordinator) so all i had to do is say yes! What you studying btw?

From my experience places in europe pay very little in comparison to ireland so be prepared to bring some money! BUT the experience is very much worth it! You get much more to do here than back in ireland and will generally have your own projects to do. alot of the guys in my office did interntional placement and now these are the guys developing products for this company and are travelling around the world to customers. Do you have any languages emma111?

Working abroad i supposed to look very good on cv from what i've been told and alot of people get good job offers afterwards(was from a HR person here). Haven't any pals in the states atm but am working with some recent grads from there so could ask them for you! let me get back to you on that.

Well I'm studying MEMS in Trinity, going into 3rd year. (MEMS - manufacturing engineering wit management science). Far too long a course title. Anyway, yeah no languages either unless you count leaving cert german which I don't :) Thanks for the advice, much appreciated, will get onto those lecturers and bug them for contacts once I get back. Wouldn't mind a placement like yours - sounds good!

emma111 wrote:
    Well I'm studying MEMS in Trinity, going into 3rd year. (MEMS - manufacturing engineering wit management science). Far too long a course title. Anyway, yeah no languages either unless you count leaving cert german which I don't :) Thanks for the advice, much appreciated, will get onto those lecturers and bug them for contacts once I get back. Wouldn't mind a placement like yours - sounds good!

Is very like the BME course in DCU(business with manufacturing eng). Drop your programme head an email on how to proceed, he might give you some advice. Wouldn't hurt! Do you guys get a placement arranged with college like we do? I had french at leaving level and NO german, but i've been here for 4 months now and learning! I was always awful at them but now have motivation to learn. Once your committed i'm sure you'll find a place. Try google internship in germany. most i believe start recruiting around september. I was just lucky our college has industrial links here. German pay is not great but they pay all expenses so is not so bad. Experience is awesome and by comparison to ireland yu get more work.

Erasmus grants are for like €800 total for all placement so unless have money put by is a tough option. I know i was arranging something with INSA lyon but was too expensive so drop it pre any ideas for germany. i believe trinity have strong links with them, so can give you names(in lyon) and info for that if you want. If you have any other q's just repost or email us!

• Advertisement

Nah unfortunately we don't have any placement during the year. It says somewhere that we are expected to find one during summer of 3rd year. Makes sense anyway. And I think I'd enjoy a work placement abroad, beats another office summer job here. Well I think you've answered most of my questions there Darren - gonna email course director and see if he has any ideas. Thanks again! :)

No worries, if need any further advise just pm me.

Advertisement