Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An alternative to costly mobile phone insurance

• 19-07-2006 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭

Came across this site today - would work out cheaper than mobile insurance...

http://www.yougetitback.com

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

That covers 'lost', but not stolen or damaged which are far more likely to occurr than me losing something worth a fair bit of money. Pass.

ed: /touch wood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Mobile phone insurance at €5-6 per month or in the case of CPW anything up to €12 per month is not worth it given that there is usually an excess charge of €30 for making a claim or €70 for a second claim in 12 months. Also most mobile insurance doesn't cover water damage. In my experience the majority of people I know who replace their phones do so because their old phone was lost - getting it stolen or damaged is less common.

I don't think a "please return me" sticker like this one is that great but mobile phone insurance is a total rip-off by comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Don't see the point of insurance either. Buy a phone cheap on billpay. Then if theres a problem just buy a prepay phone and get it unlocked. Still be cheaper than getting insurance and making a claim. The insurance companies tend to wiggle out of replacing the phone anyway, so theres simply no point, unless its an expensive PDA or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Karoma wrote:
    That covers 'lost', but not stolen or damaged which are far more likely to occurr than me losing something worth a fair bit of money. Pass.

ed: /touch wood

here's a radical idea. if you drop the phone, throw it in a river and say you lost it.......

but the insurance is still a complete rip off. apparently you can add a phone to household insurance for pennies a year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Slice wrote:
    Mobile phone insurance at €5-6 per month or in the case of CPW anything up to €12 per month is not worth it given that there is usually an excess charge of €30 for making a claim or €70 for a second claim in 12 months. Also most mobile insurance doesn't cover water damage. In my experience the majority of people I know who replace their phones do so because their old phone was lost - getting it stolen or damaged is less common.

I don't think a "please return me" sticker like this one is that great but mobile phone insurance is a total rip-off by comparison.

CPW's is more expensive as it does cover water damage and the excess always stays at 35.
    But I agree, mobile insurance is very expensive and probably not needed, unless you're the kind who loses phones often.

• Advertisement
Advertisement