Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen threads removed - legal action letter?

Options
  • 19-07-2006 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

ok, I realise and agree with why these threads were removed.
    Even the most recent one, people were warned, but still posted dodgy remarks and comments.

Just wondering, could the mods please post up the letter from A.Cox on behalf of MCD threatening legal action against boards.ie and certain posters.

It may make for interesting reading for all of us with thoughts about this topic.

Thanks
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Where were these threads and what were they about (if you can mention them without repeating the claims that MCD are obviously threatening boards.ie over)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

flogen wrote:
    Where were these threads and what were they about (if you can mention them without repeating the claims that MCD are obviously threatening boards.ie over)?

they were in the gigs/events section and they were about MCD's running of Oxegen this year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

I do not like the idea, its a bit like reproducing someones private message.

If MCD, Independent Newspapers and the named individuals and Arthur Cox, did not mind, I would be happy to consider and discuss it with the other Admins.

V.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

There is to be no discussion of MCD or Oxegen on this thread.

Any poster who tries to discuss either will get a weeks ban and this thread will be locked.

V.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

It's worth noting that legal letters are themselves subject to copyright law - a fact that has been used by lawyers in the past.

On the other hand the actual physical letter is the property of whoever received it (hence boards was within its rights the time they auctioned oned).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

boards auctioned a legal letter? When? Where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Is this not setting a dangerous precident for Boards to take by taking down these threads?

From what I read on those afformentioned threads most of the posts and comments were honest, acceptable and within this the forum charter and the website's general rules.

I do know there is no right to free speech on this website but will this result in any so called ''defamatory'' post or comment resulting is a threat of legal action thus full blown censorship across this site? If this is setting a precident for Boards then 50% of the posts on this site could well result in Boards been taken to court.

I know we want Boards to stay the way as it is but if the bullyboy corporations get their way over censoring the truth for the sake of their mega profits then this site will go down the gutter.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I think there's a possibility that if the letter was posted that at some stage in the future, there could be an action for contempt of court.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Is this the 3rd or 4th bullygram in the past two weeks? The sharks are circling the good ship boards.ie

You should have a new section on the front page of who sent legal letters and over what. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I didn't see the threads/post in question at all, were they really bad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I do know there is no right to free speech on this website but will this result in any so called ''defamatory'' post or comment resulting is a threat of legal action thus full blown censorship across this site? If this is setting a precident for Boards then 50% of the posts on this site could well result in Boards been taken to court.

I know we want Boards to stay the way as it is but if the bullyboy corporations get their way over censoring the truth for the sake of their mega profits then this site will go down the gutter.
    I'm not sure if I mentioned these points in this, or any other, thread before as I'm on pretty heavy brain medicine and the weather's too hot, but...

1) Generally, Solicitors won't encourage their clients to sue in such cases unless the organisation/person their client wants to sue is a 'mark'. A solicitor friend of mine many years ago introduced me to that wonderful term - a 'mark' is basically someone worth suing. As boards isn't a for-profit business, and I'd imagine has about 20cent and a Polish Zloty coin in it's tea-fund jar, no solicitor in his/her right mind would encourage their client to do a little more than allow a few scary letters to be written.

2) There is a big argument for taking forums such as this off-shore in this litigation-happy land of ours. Most will remember about 18 months ago, the whole 'Rate My Teacher' story broke in the Irish media regarding Irish kids making defamatory remarks about their teachers. I remember hearing a spokesman for ASTI come on and do the whole 'we are currently consulting our legal advisors and will be robust in defence of our members' spiel. Cue the same spokesman coming back on national media a week later, sounding less bullish and stating that as the site wasn't physically based in this jurisdiction, there was very little that could be done unless ASTI wanted to stump up serious money to float an international court case with very little chance of success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭अधिनायक

Vexorg wrote:
    I do not like the idea, its a bit like reproducing someones private message.

If MCD, Independent Newspapers and the named individuals and Arthur Cox, did not mind, I would be happy to consider and discuss it with the other Admins.

V.
    You have no balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

You have no balls.

Easy to say when it's not yours that are on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

/awaits Pastor Martin Niemöller quotage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

That sucks, another thing not to be spoken of. I know this is not a democracy but this site is not responsible and mods did not intentionally encourage this sort of slander/whatever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

damien.m wrote:
    When the Lawyers came for the skeptics,
    I remained silent;
    I was not a skeptic.

When they shut up the concert goers,
    I remained silent;
    I was not a concert goer.

etc ...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

His letter just made me go and find out what people were saying and why.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

wow, another 'unmentionable' topic :(

To be honest this sort of thing reflects far worse on those issuing the legal threats than it does on Boards.ie. There have been many disputes with corporate entities in the past which have been resolved by an actual human being logging in to defend themselves and their business. The fact that these people now (who apparently I can't even mention by name) feel the need to communicate through threatening and secret letters leads me to believe they don't have the ability to defend themselves publicly (ie. they're in the wrong).

That we can't use Ireland's largest Internet forum to discuss our unhappiness with a shoddy service is potentially devastating for the community here, but if that is absolutely the way it has to be then damien.m's idea of a visible blacklist is a good one, imo.

Unfortunately it's probably a bit much to ban any discussion (good or bad) of the events these guys put on, as they seem to be in charge of almost every event in the country, but maybe the festival in question could be forcibly removed from discussions in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

It definitely gives weight to the idea of having the site hosted/mirrored outside of Ireland, with the goal of preserving what free speech is left on this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

damien.m wrote:
    First they came for the solicitors,
    We applauded.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Steveire wrote:
    boards auctioned a legal letter? When?

A few years back
    Where?

At a boards beer, t'was most amusing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Would definately like to see this/these letters and very curious on the content of the silenced threads too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Come on Anna, tell us the full story...

Love the idea of listing the companies that have fired legal letters at boards. We could use it as a means of letting boards.ie members know which companies to boycott.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Sleepy wrote:
    Come on Anna, tell us the full story.

Clouds comment will tell you all - comment 11

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

MCD are just on pure damage control. The Mirror also recieved the same letter but went ahead and posted thier story. Appears boards.ie thread was linked out from another load of places, so MCD just noticed it.

At Vexorgs request earlier not posting any links or stuff, but you can more or less get all the information this incident relates to online outside of boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well Indymedia have a nice photo of an "alleged" tent bonfire being put out. I'm trying to find any photos or videos but can't seem to find any. MCD are pretty damn good on their damage control :D

Is MCD actually able to stop people giving their opinions with these threats? Surely this sort of thing would never hold up anywhere?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I think an easy way to resolve this is to just make the company in question an expletive, therefore mention of it would be "*****", but we'd all know who it was ¬_¬

While remaining defamation-free! \o/

Or would that work?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

CuLT wrote:
    I think an easy way to resolve this is to just make the company in question an expletive, therefore mention of it would be "*****", but we'd all know who it was ¬_¬

While remaining defamation-free! \o/

Or would that work?

We could all say stuff like "A certain major Irish concert organiser does this..." :D
    I'm sure that would hold as much water as a rock though.

And yes, jomaji they could sue you for giving your opinion if it is defamatory (well, actually sue boards.ie for publishing your opinion)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Add MCD and Oxegen to the swear filter. Boycott discussion of MCD gigs. If they want to silence the bad things people are saying about their event then they should be prepared not to have any of their events mentioned at all.

So Aiken, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Aiken, fantasitc group of people, best out there, no competition

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement