Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen threads removed - legal action letter?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

John2 wrote:
    Add MCD and Oxegen to the swear filter. Boycott discussion of MCD gigs. If they want to silence the bad things people are saying about their event then they should be prepared not to have any of their events mentioned at all.

So Aiken, eh?

as I attempted to point out,the all the music boards are full of *** promoted shows etc, if this is like the recent example of that IP Registering company where once they go overboard with legal threats no-one mentions them to starve them of word of mouth advertising and aso to avoid legal woes, then remove any thread discussing their gigs but I reckon this is much more about the legal pressure, tactical starving of WOMA won't last very long on the boards in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

as I attempted to point out,the all the music boards are full of *** promoted shows etc, if this is like the recent example of that IP Registering company where once they go overboard with legal threats no-one mentions them to starve them of word of mouth advertising and aso to avoid legal woes, then remove any thread discussing their gigs but I reckon this is much more about the legal pressure, tactical starving of WOMA won't last very long on the boards in this case.

I don't know, there's only five *** events on the first page of Gigs/Events (the only forum where gigs are allowed to be discussed). I think it would be a nice retort to their recent antics to just stop giving them any sort of promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Goodshape wrote:
    wow, another 'unmentionable' topic :(

To be honest this sort of thing reflects far worse on those issuing the legal threats than it does on Boards.ie. There have been many disputes with corporate entities in the past which have been resolved by an actual human being logging in to defend themselves and their business. The fact that these people now (who apparently I can't even mention by name) feel the need to communicate through threatening and secret letters leads me to believe they don't have the ability to defend themselves publicly (ie. they're in the wrong).

That we can't use Ireland's largest Internet forum to discuss our unhappiness with a shoddy service is potentially devastating for the community here, but if that is absolutely the way it has to be then damien.m's idea of a visible blacklist is a good one, imo.

Unfortunately it's probably a bit much to ban any discussion (good or bad) of the events these guys put on, as they seem to be in charge of almost every event in the country, but maybe the festival in question could be forcibly removed from discussions in the future.

If someone writes into a newspaper complaining about a badly run event or bad customer service etc, then the business can write into the newspaper and defend themselves. Of course, they are not guaranteed that this will be published, but the opportunity is there at least.

However, if a company were to see a complaint on boards.ie, sign up to defend themselves - would this be seen as effectively advertising / promoting / pimping / whatever, and would they then be banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Crucifix wrote:
    I didn't see the threads/post in question at all, were they really bad?

No they weren't! They were mostly first hand experiences of what happened (I suppose I can't use the word 'ordeal' or MCD will send me a legal letter...bullies), but because they weren't videotaped with a copy of the days newspaper and proof beyond reasonable doubt that it happened at oxegen 2006, apparently that's slander or whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

jomanji wrote:
    Is MCD actually able to stop people giving their opinions with these threats? Surely this sort of thing would never hold up anywhere?

A judge would laugh this out of court. All it would take would be a few eye witnesses. These legal letters are bully tactics.

If anything...MCD have no right to throw hissyfit over this, if anyone should be annoyed it's the security company, because most of the complaints were levied at their staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

So can we post a thread about the troubles at Hydrogen as organised by NDE? Its mexicos biggest festival!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

John2 wrote:
    Add MCD and Oxegen to the swear filter. Boycott discussion of MCD gigs. If they want to silence the bad things people are saying about their event then they should be prepared not to have any of their events mentioned at all.

Why should the bands suffer? To be perfectly honest the music business is an Oligopoly in this country - you're starving off about 40% of musical discussion if you boycott talking about MCD gigs.

While I commiserate with Cloud, DeVore et al, I really think they're taking the completely wrong approach to this - and I'd say that if it was my neck on the line as well. The boards.ie admin crew are only leaving themselves open to even more petty legal whingings if they bow down to this.

Look at how something-awful deal with idiots threatening to sue :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

jimi_t wrote:
    Look at how something-awful deal with idiots threatening to sue :cool:
    Not all websites have retained the services of someone as good as Leonard "J." Crabs.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

So, I hear *** rape cats now!

And that their execs bathe in vats of virgins blood.

How about that eh.

There's nothing quite like a ***onalds. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

You know, I think a ban on all promotion and discussion of MCD gigs, accompanied with a nice letter to MCD informing them of this by the admins would be a great solution. Lets face it, boards.ie is an important medium for many people finding out about gigs and events! Does any other Irish website attract so many of their target audience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Im locking this thread as it has gone off topic.

FYI.. I spoke to MCD today, they had never heard of Boards.ie before Arthur Cox brought the original removed thread to their attention.

V.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

ie: the lawyers did a search, found the content and pressed the cash register button, again.

Anyway, next time someone searchs for details of the event, maybe they'll find this thread instead.

Something Awful have at least the protection of the first amendment to protect them. Not to mention no stupid rulings about the publishers being automatically in trouble too.

And please (eth0 and others) stop using common sense, it simply doesnt apply to this area of the law?

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement