Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford vs Toyota

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

He should, but would he mention them?

That's exactly why I questioned his ability to be impartial on this issue.

I assume he only works for Toyota ,he doesn't own them.

On Topic

I have owned both Ford and Toyota (boring I know) I much prefer Toyota but would buy a Ford again if it suited my needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

But a Toyota is as boring as and car gets. I would buy a ford over a Toyota any day... but Toyota is a better built car.

Boring is very sujective. A BMW 3 series is every bit as "boring" as an Avensis, especially one with a sub 2000cc engine.

I don't agree about Toyotas being built better than Fords. My experience is quite the opposite. Maybe it is just the cars, but out of a Starlet (60k), Corolla (160k), 2 Avensi(60K + 90K), Mondeo(170k) and Focus(6k so far..60k troublefree miles before me), the Fords have been the more reliable, the Mondeo particularly more so than the Avensi.

Ford are also brilliant cars to drive, and you have to admire them for even building the Focus Mk1. And people shouldnt go around saying it is a crap car if they have never driven one with more than a 1.4 engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Jumanji

maidhc wrote:
    Ford are also brilliant cars to drive, and you have to admire them for even building the Focus Mk1. And people shouldnt go around saying it is a crap car if they have never driven one with more than a 1.4 engine.

& My point is comparing like with like, which is what this thread is about, surely......

My Focus was a 1.4, my Corolla is a 1.4

The Focus was complete ****, as I said above, whereas the Corolla is pretty nippy for a 1.4

Therfore, in my mind, the Corolla is the better car.

I mean, why even bother making a 1.4 when the driver is required to get out & push it up any little bit of a hill at all!!! They're a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Jumanji wrote:
    & My point is comparing like with like, which is what this thread is about, surely......

My Focus was a 1.4, my Corolla is a 1.4

The Focus was complete ****, as I said above, whereas the Corolla is pretty nippy for a 1.4

Therfore, in my mind, the Corolla is the better car.

I mean, why even bother making a 1.4 when the driver is required to get out & push it up any little bit of a hill at all!!! They're a joke.

oh sorry, i mistook the thread... i thought it was about the better car...
    not faster car...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

So, you basically value all aspects? How insightful....

and i suppose you pick out cars for their smell :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Fair point. I agree the 1.4 Focus is a bit underpowered.

1.6 is a nice compromise however.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

not faster car...

exactly what i was thinking.

Like the focus is an around a few years now and if the only thing the corolla beats it is speed then toyota have a long way to go.

Like i currently drive a corolla, but would take a focus in an instant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

When I think corolla I think Jap design and economy and youngish, when I think ford i'm reminded of my greedy old boss and him getting his new Mondeo every year. I have driven a fair few corollas in my time but only a few Fords. However I think unless you have a Ztec engine under the hood of the Focus it's better suited to some random doris for her trips to church on a Sunday.

I admit I have a soft spot for Jap cars. I believe them to be the best designed in the world, so perhaps i'm biast.

So all in all imo Toyota is superior, also lets not forget the Ford scandals going back over the past few years in the US.

Although I believe Ford are now copying the Japs so they might produce a better car.

not faster car...

Ah, stop nitpicking!!!

It was one of the MANY things I hated about the car

Jumanji wrote:
    Ah, stop nitpicking!!!

It was one of the MANY things I hated about the car

excuse me, but that what you said...

"The Focus was complete ****, as I said above, whereas the Corolla is pretty nippy for a 1.4

Therfore, in my mind, the Corolla is the better car."

i'm sorry now... buy you could not make it any clearer to the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Vegeta wrote:
    exactly what i was thinking.

Like the focus is an around a few years now and if the only thing the corolla beats it is speed then toyota have a long way to go.

Like i currently drive a corolla, but would take a focus in an instant

If you don't your Corolla then fair enough maybe your bored with it and need a change but it is hardly an inferior product. After all they have sold something like 30 million of them worldwide to date. That is no fluke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

He should, but would he mention them?

That's exactly why I questioned his ability to be impartial on this issue.

Do you not have something to do with Ford? If so, how can you be impartial?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Squirrel wrote:
    Do you not have something to do with Ford? If so, how can you be impartial?

No I don't. I do drive them however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Sorry, my mistake. I just recall your discount on your ST and presumed you worked for Ford, apologies. Sweet car btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

My views on Toyota havew little to do with who I work for, more to do with the job I do, and the experience I've had of other makes of car.

The only thing the press seem to be able to throw at Toyota is that they're "dull and uninspiring" to drive.
    I don't think I'll lose any sleep at night as a result of the Avensis' lack of lift-off oversteer, mainly because I don't spend my days ragging one around a test track.
    I will, however be safe in the knowledge that I'm in the safest car available for the money, have lots of space, generous equipment and will get wherever I need to in comfort.

So you would still have a biased opinion like everyone else about their own car. It is impossible not to.

colm_mcm wrote:
    My views on Toyota havew little to do with who I work for, more to do with the job I do, and the experience I've had of other makes of car.

The only thing the press seem to be able to throw at Toyota is that they're "dull and uninspiring" to drive.
    I don't think I'll lose any sleep at night as a result of the Avensis' lack of lift-off oversteer, mainly because I don't spend my days ragging one around a test track.
    I will, however be safe in the knowledge that I'm in the safest car available for the money, have lots of space, generous equipment and will get wherever I need to in comfort.

why? who do you work for?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

why? who do you work for?

someone who would be generally biassed towards Toyota

bazz26 wrote:
    So you would still have a biased opinion like everyone else about their own car. It is impossible not to.

I wouldn't agree... it is your car... not your wife or girlfriend!

maidhc wrote:
    I wouldn't agree... it is your car... not your wife or girlfriend!

Maybe but more often than not some people will totally write off or disregard a car they have probably never sat in not to mind driven.

I think forming an opinion of a car from experience of driving it rather than what some guy wrote in an article in a newspaper or magazine, etc is much more valid.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote:
    someone who would be generally biassed towards Toyota

How is the weather Colm?

excuse me, but that what you said...

"The Focus was complete ****, as I said above, whereas the Corolla is pretty nippy for a 1.4

Therfore, in my mind, the Corolla is the better car."

i'm sorry now... buy you could not make it any clearer to the rest of us.

I'm assuming as you're getting so easily wound up that you drive a Focus!!!!!!:D :D

Poor you.

bazz26 wrote:
    Maybe but more often than not some people will totally write off or disregard a car they have probably never sat in not to mind driven.

Very true. Toyota gets a lot of this, and at the other end of the scale so does alfa. And as the OP noted, there is a large contingent of "I will never drive a Ford" types around as well.
    bazz26 wrote:
    I think forming an opinion of a car from experience of driving it rather than what some guy wrote in an article in a newspaper or magazine, etc is much more valid.

I'd agree. Owning a car for x years is a very different experience to having one for a weekend... once the initial thrill wears off different things start to matter.

Jumanji wrote:
    I'm assuming as you're getting so easily wound up that you drive a Focus!!!!!!:D :D

Poor you.

na, your wrong again:D :D:D:D
    Poor you

in fact if you read my earlier posts you will find that i said that i thought that the jap was a better build...
    now saying that i have never owned a jap car or a ford...
    my opinion is just based on what i read...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Still it's better to take account of independent testers opinions on the relative merits of Toyota vs. Ford than a Toyota saleman's ;)

Fair point, but with a handle like 'Henry Ford III' you can hardly claim to be impartial yourself;)
    Squirrel wrote:
    Is the Mazda 6 not a Mondeo pretty much?

I don't think it's the same platform... Even if it were, nothing wrong with that - the Mondeo has been a class leader for much of it's life. I prefer the Mazda in looks, image etc. I reckon the Ford probably has better steering-feel but that's a small issue.

BTW, the Focus may have better handling but in the 1.4 versions popular in Ireland the Corolla is far ahead of it's rivals.

colm_mcm wrote:
    1/.My views on Toyota havew little to do with who I work for, more to do with the job I do, and the experience I've had of other makes of car.

2/. The only thing the press seem to be able to throw at Toyota is that they're "dull and uninspiring" to drive.
    3/. I don't think I'll lose any sleep at night as a result of the Avensis' lack of lift-off oversteer, mainly because I don't spend my days ragging one around a test track.
    4/.I will, however be safe in the knowledge that I'm in the safest car available for the money, have lots of space, generous equipment and will get wherever I need to in comfort.

1/. I do not believe that. Your posts have always been 100% pro Toyota. I've quried your abilty to be impartial before Colm, and I'm doing it again now.

2/. Perhaps they are correct? They are independent after all, unlike you.

3/. A well engineered and sorted car should be able to handle all conditions, evenm extreme ones. Emergencies happen everyday and handling is a key to avoiding a crash. If you choose to ignore the limitations of the chassis so be it. Other unblinkered consumers may think differently.

4/. There are plenty of other comparable cars around that score the same Euro NCap marks. How safe is an Avensis in the event of it hitting a pedestrian?

We could go on and on with this but I think my point is made.

pburns wrote:
    Fair point, but with a handle like 'Henry Ford III' you can hardly claim to be impartial yourself;)

That's a mere nom de plume. I don't derive my income from selling cars :D

bazz26 wrote:

I own a few cars bazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Not getting into an argument with anyone here, but I've driven several cars & none of the cars have handled as well as my corolla.

I've never felt as safe.
    There's plenty of life in it.
    It takes bumps well,
    It corners well
    It's comfy,
    I actually love how it looks
    It's economical
    It's steering is fantastic.

It'll take a lot of convincing to make me change from a Toyota in future (& this is my 1st one, so you can't say I'm a lifetime fan & stuck in my ways)

One complaint:- they're pure stingy with Alloys as standard (Well in ROI anyway)

• Advertisement

3/. A well engineered and sorted car should be able to handle all conditions, evenm extreme ones. Emergencies happen everyday and handling is a key to avoiding a crash. If you choose to ignore the limitations of the chassis so be it. Other unblinkered consumers may think differently.

The Avensis does handle well. It doesn't feel as steady as say a focus or mondeo, and it has far too much body roll for my liking, but it is exceedingly safe... Actually the fact I take some corners 10mph slower than a I do in the Focus means it is much safer! :D

Advertisement