Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford vs Toyota

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

mike65 wrote:
    I can't belive Unkel had never sat down with a scruffy copy of the Farmers Journal! Never know when you might need a two axel trailer.

Mike.

The 735 would be well able to outpull most SUVs too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

maidhc wrote:
    My biggest criticism of the Avensis is still its reliability! It failed its first NCT during the week for having a dodgy offside shock and a wonky headlamp. I don't think that should happen at 90k.

Jazsus, I´d say you´ll be avoiding Toyotas from now on, you got badly burnt there!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,408 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

maidhc wrote:
    But it is still, what, 2 tons? Making 2 tons take corners like a car of half its weight surely sretches the laws of physics with so much more monentum?

You'll be surprised. It is only 25% heavier than e.g. a current Avensis diesel
    maidhc wrote:
    considering they are such a tiny privately owned company

Yeah, they're the only mass manufacturer that is family owned. And unlike several competitors, they are quite profitable too. The family is so rich that they can all afford to buy new 7-series without having to worry about depreciation :D
    bazz26 wrote:
    Take J Clarkson for example, at times he is controversial for the sake of it

I always take his pieces with an extremely large grain of salt :)
    bazz26 wrote:
    Don't know if that is directed at me but I don't claim my car is very good or the best at handling, etc

No, not directed at you at all. Directed at people who don't know what they are talking about
    bazz26 wrote:
    the Avensis does what it is supposed to do, no more or no less. It is a medium sized family saloon. It isn't pretending to be anything else and neither am I claiming it to be

Absolutely. It is very reliable too, probably the most reliable car in its class and resale values are very high

All that is more than enough for most people. The proof is that Toyota will soon be the biggest car manufacturer in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

unkel wrote:
    All that is more than enough for most people. The proof is that Toyota will soon be the biggest car manufacturer in the world

aren't ford(including the 33% stake in mazda) making more money world wide

or else wikipedia is lying to me/written by someone biased.

Look toyota are a good car, i drive one

but i bought it because of a few things, its reliability and running costs mainly, which has been rock solid so far. There's nothing wrong with buying a car for those purposes but after driving my brothers 1.6 focus i think i'd enjoy driving it that little bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

unkel wrote:
    Yeah, they're the only mass manufacturer that is family owned. And unlike several competitors, they are quite profitable too. The family is so rich that they can all afford to buy new 7-series without having to worry about depreciation :D

The Quandts don't fully own BMW, their stock is quoted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Vegeta wrote:
    aren't ford(including the 33% stake in mazda) making more money world wide

or else wikipedia is lying to me/written by someone biased.

Ford are not doing that great at the moment at all. They suffered pretty major losses in the US because no one is buying their XXL SUVs due to oil prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

maidhc wrote:
    Ford are not doing that great at the moment at all. They suffered pretty major losses in the US because no one is buying their XXL SUVs due to oil prices.

I am not challenging what you are saying but do you have any reference for that so i can read up on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

linky and here

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

Well if Ford and Toyota were contracted to make the same car .. lets say the Mondeo .. so they looked identical .. I'd buy the Toyota version without a seconds thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,408 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

colm_mcm wrote:
    The Quandts don't fully own BMW, their stock is quoted

True, in fact the Quandts own just less than half of BMW. They do have full business control iirc

• Advertisement
Advertisement