Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Continuity Home Farm cease to exist

• 19-07-2006 6:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭

Dublin City have released a press statement confirming that they've stopped trading. No idea how this will affect the league and clubs who've played them already, but they were never able to attract more than a few dozen fans.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

The LOI /FAI needs to get its act together and create a proper league with proper teams where Clubs must be 'bonded' so that they cant go bust!

Compare Dublin City with Dublin GAA team, where Croker had 81,000 packed in!

Redspider

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

About time to be honest.

I've said more than once that they were a joke of a club and that the league needs to get rid of teams like them if it is ever to make any real progression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

The statement for anyone interested...........

IT is with deep regret that Little Roc Inc., trading as Dublin City Football Club, has ceased trading. Due to ongoing difficulties, our continued existence within the eircom League simply became untenable and while extremely difficult to make, it is the most prudent and honourable decision and course of action to take.

I would like to thank all those people who shared in the Dublin City dream and who, no doubt, will be disappointed, as I am, with this turn of events.
    I would like to place on record my deep appreciation for Dermot Keely, Gar Cronin and the backroom staff of Dublin City FC for their totally professional approach at all times, despite the difficulties they encountered along the way.

To those investors and sponsors, the players and the loyal core of Vikings fans, I thank you for your unstinting efforts on behalf of the club.
    I would also like to place on record my appreciation for the members of the eircom League and the FAI who have been fully briefed and are fully understanding of the situation.

I would hope that members of the media would allow me a period of time to tidy the affairs of Dublin City FC and no further press release will be issued for a period of one week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Confirmed here http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/0719/dublincity.html

Dublin City were never going to get off the ground. The fact that they brought less that 60 fans to the first leg of the relegation play-off last season - the biggest game in their history - spoke volumes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

have to feel sorry for all 1 of their true fans..but its for the good of the league for sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

According to the News bulletins, Drogheda are now top of the league. They only took 4 points off Dublin City while Shels and Cork took 6. And there's gonna be 1 team relegated and two promoted. C'mon Dundalk, keep on pushing lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Hopefully this will be the much needed smack into reality that many eL clubs need. Clubs going bust isn't fiction, it's a fact and they better learn this because at this current rate Dublin City aren't going to be the only ones down the gutter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Pighead wrote:
    According to the News bulletins, Drogheda are now top of the league. They only took 4 points off Dublin City while Shels and Cork took 6. And there's gonna be 1 team relegated and two promoted. C'mon Dundalk, keep on pushing lads.

Umm, are the league not doing the thing with just picking the best 12 teams in ireland and throwing them into the top league....doing away with promotion/relegation for a season ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Umm, are the league not doing the thing with just picking the best 12 teams in ireland and throwing them into the top league....doing away with promotion/relegation for a season ?
    To be honest thats what I thought was going to happen. I remember hearing ages ago about it but have heard nothing about it in months now. And anybody I ask about it thinks I'm mental and I'm making things up.

Looks like they've either scrapped the idea or perhaps its coming into effect the year after next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Pighead wrote:
    To be honest thats what I thought was going to happen. I remember hearing ages ago about it but have heard nothing about it in months now. And anybody I ask about it thinks I'm mental and I'm making things up.

Looks like they've either scrapped the idea or perhaps its coming into effect the year after next.

Manufactured Irish domestic football coming to you in March 2007

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Pighead wrote:

As far as I know its still planned for this season.

Dublin City were always going to have problems getting a decent fanbase as there are already so many clubs in Dublin. People who follow the EL would already be supporting a club so it was always going to happen. Its sad for everyone involved with Dublin City but its better for the league that clubs like this are gotten rid of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I have some sort of pity for Ronan Seery. He had a good idea but it never really took off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

it is still planned and is still in progress

The way its going to work is 10 or 12 will go into a top disivison
    They will be got by assginging a teams preformace over the last 5 years

It will be a three tier league system

So no promo or religation
    Few!
    The blues stay up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

pp_me129 wrote:
    it is still planned and is still in progress

The way its going to work is 10 or 12 will go into a top disivison
    They will be got by assginging a teams preformace over the last 5 years

It will be a three tier league system

So no promo or religation
    Few!
    The blues stay up!
    or not as the case may be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Hopefully this will be the much needed smack into reality that many eL clubs need. Clubs going bust isn't fiction, it's a fact and they better learn this because at this current rate Dublin City aren't going to be the only ones down the gutter.

Indeed, ye lot could be next ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Will yellow cards against Dublin City be rescinded? What about players ent off against them, will their fines be re paid to them? What about travelling expenses, will they be repaid to the fans and teams who travelled to play them?

This is farcical of the highest order. Seery and co should never be allowed near any football club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭johnos

Dublin City's exit was inevitable. The club was nothing more than a cheeky punt on a brand name -- the footballing equivalent of cyber-squatting. There never was any substance there.
    It's sad for individuals seduced into supporting them. But on balance it's a positive purging for football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

It's definitely a positive for the league. It had to happen sometime, and I have a feeling that they won't be the last team to go to the wall.

What I would love to know is what is the potision of the UEFA licencing system after this fiasco? It doesn't say much for the credibility of the system if Dublin City can be allowed a Premier licence, and a few months later have this happen to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭pogcica

Don't see a thread on this But seeing as Dublin City is reported as resigning from the league.http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=151
    Does anyone think there will be others to go the same way this this season?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

gimmick wrote:

This is farcical of the highest order. Seery and co should never be allowed near any football club.

Why so? They existed and competed and they relegated Shamrock Rovers, deserved their place in the PL on ability on the pitch. Seery done a fantastic job there keeping them alive and competing for 10 years.

Obviously they were going anyway but lets be honest every club in the PL has been at least a day away from non exsitence in their times, Pats twice , Rovers twice , Bohs once , Cork once, the list goes on.

Tbh most of the El fans who take pleasure in this sicken me.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

There is 11 pages or so on this subject over on www.foot.ie

KdjaC wrote:
    Why so? They existed and competed and they relegated Shamrock Rovers, deserved their place in the PL on ability on the pitch. Seery done a fantastic job there keeping them alive and competing for 10 years.

Obviously they were going anyway but lets be honest every club in the PL has been at least a day away from non exsitence in their times, Pats twice , Rovers twice , Bohs once , Cork once, the list goes on.

Tbh most of the El fans who take pleasure in this sicken me.

kdjac

I wouldn't exactly take pleasure in it, but it doesn't bother me in the least. They were an embarassment to the league and gave everyone that wants to have a go at domestic soccer unlimited ammunition. They regularly got less than 100 'fans' at home games and even at the biggest game in their history - the first leg of the relegation game with Rovers, they brought a disgracefully poor attendence. There are realistically less than 100 people who will care about their passing and while I feel for the handful of fans they attracted, they were never, ever going to be a going concern.

Domestic football has enough problems without the concept of franchise football becoming a reality.

I wouldn't exactly take pleasure in it, but it doesn't bother me in the least. They were an embarassment to the league and gave everyone that wants to have a go at domestic soccer unlimited ammunition. They regularly got less than 100 'fans' at home games and even at the biggest game in their history - the first leg of the relegation game with Rovers, they brought a disgracefully poor attendence. There are realistically less than 100 people who will care about their passing and while I feel for the handful of fans they attracted, they were never, ever going to be a going concern.

Domestic football has enough problems without the concept of franchise football becoming a reality.

Had it been Rovers last season ? Would it be different as they were an established club? Or Pats when Kerr had to remortage his house to keep us alive we would have been lucky with 100 in the cross at the time. and were 1 hour from going bust until Kerr saved us. Cork when eviction from Bishopstown left them without a home and feck all fans. Shels this season if 500k isnt found. Would that be a bad thing had any of the above happened or if one happens.

A club in a league that we watch weekly has dissolved, regardless of who they are they were good enough on the pitch to be in the league. Some people feel our clubs are above the standard of football thats on the pitch and blame Dublin City and UCD for that when in reality they are(were) part of the league just as much as Cork and Shels.

Odd in England most fans were gutted when Wimbledon went down and became a franchise, they have hated playing them but they had respect for the presence in the league.

A lot of ex Pats players on that team and some other good players i dont see how them losing their jobs as footballers is a good thing for the league if anything it shows that anyone can get a UEFA licence once they eat kellogs cornflakes and collect 8 tokens.

An embarrassment to the league would the team top of it not paying there players yet having a licence, a team with an alleged hooligan element not sacking a Director who was convicted of being a part or instigator of a riot after a match. The fans of these clubs are the ones happiest at the death of Dublin City. They are the ones who should be embarrassed.

kdjac

When Dublin City came about these lads turned away from supporting foreign
    Clubs in order to follow thier local Club, so it's a pity for them that it all went
    pear shaped.

They support their local club yet still have to listen to the gimps who tell them they are not a real club.
    I'm shattered. woke up this morning and felt sheite, grabbed my Dublin City shirt and wore it all day.

Day we lost the league in the high court i did the same, mate of mine Rovers fan "ocean" did the same the day they were relegated...... odd we have something in common.......

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

KdjaC wrote:
    They support their local club yet still have to listen to the gimps who tell them they are not a real club.
    There were other clubs in the area who could have been described as "local" before CHF arrived on the scene. I mean it's not as if Dublin is a huge city.

On a positive note Ollie Byrne has announced that all CHF Season Ticket Holders can use the season tickets to attend Shelbourne home games for the remainder of the season. Link

Go on, someone find a snide comment to make about this generous offer by Ollie and Shelbourne FC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

seansouth wrote:
    There were other clubs in the area who could have been described as "local" before CHF arrived on the scene. I mean it's not as if Dublin is a huge city.

On a positive note Ollie Byrne has announced that all CHF Season Ticket Holders can use the season tickets to attend Shelbourne home games for the remainder of the season. Link

Go on, someone find a snide comment to make about this generous offer by Ollie and Shelbourne FC.
    is he throwing in a carton of gigs for each person too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Kdjac , I understand where you are coming from here we all love the eircom league and want to see it progress but you have to ask yourself what did CHF bring to the league ?

While no one likes to see any club under any situation ceasing to exist it was only a matter of time before CHF did in-fact fold, how seery kept them alive for so long is amazing feat and fair play to him he had a good idea tried to exploit it and it didn’t work out. I remember standing beside Dermot Keely as he said that he has no idea where seery is getting the 10,000 a week to keep the club alive and that in itself is a great achievement.

So that is one of the few positives that CHF brought to the league their will to survive, lets be honest every eircom league fan hated making that trip to see CHF play it was like a home game with all the expenses of an away game. They were never going too be included in the new league as they lacked in too many of the expected criteria’s to get into the league. So therefore it would have just been a matter of time before they shut up shop in the first division for good.

I know how the fans are feeling to the extent that I have seen my club declare bankruptcy and place all the players on the transfer list while playing premiership football (Dundalk fc), I seen a CO-OP save my club at the last moments. I do have some pity for them but any time that I have ever gone to Whitehall to see CHF play the fans consists of family relatives and sure they will support whichever club that the player goes to and most of the players are good enough to be signed by another club anyway.

Also the league will be stronger without them and can get much more marketing and sponsorship with a big club taking their place in the near future with the new league i.e. Dundalk or shamrock rovers.

It is a sad day to see any club fold, but this time its good for the league.

Sarge

'Dublin City' folded for the same reason it had so few fans. It had no reason to exist. Of course it's sad for fans and possibly disastrous for players, and no one should take pleasure in that, But at root it was no more than a cynical punt on the name. It's reassuring that the only people taken in were tourists buying the shirts in Carrolls.
    As has been pointed out, any fan wishing to give real support to a local team could have found one without putting in too much research. I can understand why a Bohs fan or a Pats fan or a Shels fan would don their shirt with pride. I cannot think of any reason, other than naivete, novelty or contrariness, why someone would get into a CHF strip.
    There aren't enough match-going, turnstile-turning, chant-chanting football fans in Dublin to support another club.
    The next eL entrant should be from Kerry.

• Advertisement

Or Mayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Tank Top Fever!

It's always sad when a team goes bust, and it's irrelevant how many fans they may have had, because they did have fans, fans who are now sans football club to support.

I'd lay the blame firmly at the FAI's door for this one, they've left clubs like Dublin City and UCD and Bray operating pretty much in limbo, no matter what happens on field this season they're likely to be relegated out of the new fangled Primeire Liga

Against this background of uncertainty it would be some task to run a football club. Rocky took what he believed was the best course of action, folding now with all wages up to date etc, rather than dragging it out for weeks or months

I've a lot of sympathy for him, and hope he goes on to get another job somewhere in the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

seansouth wrote:
    Or Mayo.

True, a team in Castlebar or Tralee whould do better at getting people in the gate, in the short term at least, than another club based in Dublin\The Plae.

True, a team in Castlebar or Tralee whould do better at getting people in the gate, in the short term at least, than another club based in Dublin\The Plae.

Castlebar Celtic have a great set-up, a loyal fanbase and a big cachement area.

I think the Kerry League had, or were invited to have, a representative team in the League Cup. Same with Mayo.

I'm not sure how it would work on a full time basis though.

Something needs to be done however. Maybe something along the lines of how Kildare County came into the league.

I'd like to see a team from Kerry there alright. I know a few Kerry people who love soccer, and seemingly there is a great set up in the area too.

What definitely shouldn't happen is another team from Dublin or it's surrounds jumping in. It has always been said, and has now been proven, that Dublin can't support another team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Tank Top Fever!

I think there's too many teams in Dublin as is

• Advertisement

Well, the thing is all of the current Dublin teams have a history. CHF didn't.

Rovers, Shels, UCD, Bohs (am I missing anyone) have all been around a fairly long time and it simply wouldn't be fair to strip any one of these teams of it's league status.

seansouth wrote:
    Well, the thing is all of the current Dublin teams have a history. CHF didn't.

Rovers, Shels, UCD, Bohs (am I missing anyone) have all been around a fairly long time and it simply wouldn't be fair to strip any one of these teams of it's league status.
    You're missing Pat's. :eek: But I'm sure I won't be the only one to tell you!

johnos wrote:
    You're missing Pat's. :eek: But I'm sure I won't be the only one to tell you!
    ;)

Hmmmm.

Dubin Cosmos
    :eek:

Shels offer to take Dubs fans on board for the season....nice gesture....Oh no it Shels ......Shels want their 6 points back appealing to the league for them.

Nice guys eh?

Another high court league win on the cards.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

seansouth wrote:
    Hmmmm.

Dubin Cosmos
    :eek:

I think Dublin Cosmos wud be just another Dublin City even tho they have good plans.

I myself wud like to see Castlebar Celtic in the eircom league I know there would be great support down there as 99% of my relations live there and I am down there quite alot.

KdjaC wrote:
    Shels offer to take Dubs fans on board for the season....nice gesture....Oh no it Shels ......Shels want their 6 points back appealing to the league for them.

Nice guys eh?

Another high court league win on the cards.

kdjac
    Six points AND six extra fans!
    Typical Shels. Wanting it all their own way just 'cos they're matey with Delaney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

eamoss wrote:
    I think Dublin Cosmos wud be just another Dublin City even tho they have good plans.

I myself wud like to see Castlebar Celtic in the eircom league I know there would be great support down there as 99% of my relations live there and I am down there quite alot.

If a new team is to enter the Eircom League it has to be from outside Dublin and a county without another EL team . Kerry , Mayo , Tipperary would all be suitable places that could draw some good crowds .

Castlebar Celtic do have a good set up however if they were to enter the league I think they should change the name to Mayo/Mayo [add second name] as Kildare County did . It helps bring fans in from all over the county rather than just having the existing fanbase plus a few more people from Castlebar .

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Superdub2

redspider wrote:
    The LOI /FAI needs to get its act together and create a proper league with proper teams where Clubs must be 'bonded' so that they cant go bust!

Compare Dublin City with Dublin GAA team, where Croker had 81,000 packed in!

Redspider

how can you compare dublin city and the dublin gaa football team with dublin city being a cheap home farm knock off and dublin GAA with their fanbase being the whole of the county you nob!

Superdub2 wrote:
    how can you compare dublin city and the dublin gaa football team with dublin city being a cheap home farm knock off and dublin GAA with their fanbase being the whole of the county you nob!
    As opposed to GAA football being a cheap knock off of a real sport. But that's another story. It's news to me that 'De Dubs' represent the whole of the county.
    BTW, is everyone who holds a view that differs from yours a 'nob'?

no not at all, that was just a silly opinion and yes dublin gaa represents the whole of the county and GAA isnt a cheap knock off but the Eircom league's attempt at sustaining some sort of professional football is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Superdub2 wrote:
    the Eircom league's attempt at sustaining some sort of professional football is

Its the clubs working towards it, the governing bodies are as useless as condoms in a church.

Anything else to add? Any points? Or just straight out WUMing?

Whats Wuming? and the clubs are just as stupid for trying to create a professional league when the clubs will never have the fanbases to sustain the kind of ridiculous wages (relatively speaking) that i hear some of the players are already on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Superdub2 wrote:

For one thing, dont be calling people a nob. For another thing, how many people go to Dublins league GAA football games? Everyone knows the All Ireland is a bandwagon, so you are not comparing like with like.

Unless that is of course you ask the 95% of Dublin fans in Croke Park for the Leinster Final why they dont go to league games, and the answer will be the same as to why 95% of Dubs (and indeed the rest of the country) dont bother going to eL games - because "not many go anyways..........who cares, the championship/premiership (delete as applicable) is the only thing tha mahhers anywayes".
    the clubs are just as stupid for trying to create a professional league when the clubs will never have the fanbases

And who is at fault for this? If the clubs didn't try to step forward into professionalism they would be pilloried by 'Irish socccer fans', and now that they are trying, they are being pilloried by 'Irish soccer fans'. eL clubs dont have big fan bases because so many Irish people have bought into glamour football, or so they think thats what the Premiership means. Most 'Irish soccer fans' couldn't be arsed getting their hands dirty, or indeed their bollocks cold, to go see an eL game, but yet all feel they can lambaste it from afar.

"The quality isnt good enough" is a popular cry from the barstool - FFS look at the Premiership. The quality of most games in that league is shockingly poor, but people are blinded to that fact because Andy Gray says once a week - "this is why the pray-me-ayr-ship is te best league in the werlt".

bah.

Advertisement