Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WAP/GPRS/MMS/ Email Settings

• 19-07-2006 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭

Sticky on this subject closed so have to create new thread.

I'm confused after looking at operator and Nokia websites re settings

For my phone Nokia 6230i, settings offered over either GRRS or WAP. What's the difference and which is best?

I use both O2 for private and Voda for work on the same phone with dual sim adapter, so don't want to be cluttering the phone with superfluous settings

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

GPRS is faster than WAP, which was designed for more basic services. GPRS does not require you to dial up, it connects to an access point and downloads the information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭yapyap

Ruu wrote:
    GPRS is faster than WAP, which was designed for more basic services. GPRS does not require you to dial up, it connects to an access point and downloads the information.

So are you saying that WAP settings aren't necessary at all when the phone works with GPRS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

There are two types of WAP: CSD and GPRS. CSD means dial-up, you get billed for as long as you're on a session, even if you're just reading the screen. GPRS is a packet-service and means you're only charged for the data you transfer, not how long you're looking at a given page. CSD was the original form of WAP until phones started supporting GPRS (ca. 2002).

Despite the latter sounding good, it can work out much more expensive, unless you're using WAP during the day. 1c per kilobyte quickly adds up (= €10/MB!). CSD is 19c peak, 6c off-peak, per minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

yapyap wrote:
    So are you saying that WAP settings aren't necessary at all when the phone works with GPRS?

Correct but I don't think they will cause any conflict with each other if you install both settings on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Ruu wrote:
    Correct but I don't think they will cause any conflict with each other if you install both settings on there.

If your using your phone as a modem to get on the net its handy to av to network connections one with circuit switched data CSD or hscsd which is dial up equivelent to about 44000kbps (slower with o2) if you wanted to down load a bigger e mail which might only be two or three mins where as the equivelent ammont per kb using gprs could cost a few quid... i use the gprs for browsing checking mails etc.. if i've any big downloads i dial in...

• Advertisement
Advertisement