Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mercury Music Awards Shortlist

Options
  • 19-07-2006 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

http://www.nationwidemercurys.com/

Nominations are........

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say...
    Scritti Politti - White Bread, Black Beer
    Sway - This Is My Demo
    Thom Yorke - The Eraser
    Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan - Ballad Of The Broken Seas
    Editors - The Back Room
    Guillemots - Through The Windowpane
    Richard Hawley - Coles Corner
    Hot Chip - The Warning
    Muse - Black Holes And Revelations
    Zoe Rahman - Melting Pot
    Lou Rhodes - Beloved One

What do you think of the nominations and who do you think will scoop the award?

For me I think it's an ok selction, a few surprises such as Isobel Campbell and the unsigned Sway but certainly not surprising to see Arctic Monkeys, Thom Yorke, Muse and Editors who are all deserved nominees. Only regularly listened to three records (Arctics, Campbell, Editors) and on my 1st listen to Muse and Yorke records so it's hard to judge but I there's no doubt Arctic Monkeys and Yorke been favourites is predictable and I would be very surprised if Arctic Monkey's didn't take the prize after all the attention they've had and postive comments from the judges (deserved IMO, stunning album). Editors and Guillemots could be good outside bets.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Bixmoo

I'd love to see Richard Hawley win it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I reckon Arctic Monkeys will be the favourites and like last year, someone else that most of the country hasn't heard of will win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

Richard Hawley's first album is way better than this third one Cole's Corner and that one wasn't nominated. If you ask me, it's a weak list. Surely there are better albums than these released this year. Maybe we shouls start a thread listing albums that are n't on the list that should be.
    Bixmoo wrote:
    I'd love to see Richard Hawley win it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

The Artic Monkeys will win it and I will moan a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

how are muse and thom yorke there?

i mean i've listened to muse's new album and it's great but these two album have only gotten like 3 weeks released combined and they up for an award?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

Wasn't The Back Room by Editors released ages ago? I figured that it would have been ineligible for this year's prize...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Been hearing very good things about the Hot Chip album.. meant to be quite like The Postal Service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I have a feeling it'll be Guillemots or Hot Chip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭imprezza

Black Holes and revelations has to win it I'm shocked it's in the running too only released June 21 st . Muse are the best live band on the planet as well as bringing out brilliant albums. Sick of seeing awards ceremonies on Telly for the last few years where Muse are nomnated for a few awards, win none or maybe one, then blow the bejaysus out of every other band when they get on stage.Matt Bellamy you're a legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Bixmoo

MrJones wrote:
    Richard Hawley's first album is way better than this third one Cole's Corner and that one wasn't nominated. If you ask me, it's a weak list. Surely there are better albums than these released this year. Maybe we shouls start a thread listing albums that are n't on the list that should be.

Yeah, Late Night Final is one of my favourite albums, but Coles Corner is definitely up there with anything on this list. I don't think he as any chance of winning this, but hopefully the nomination will help him sell a few more records. As long as Arctic Monkeys don't win it, this award isn't worth much anyway, didn't M People win it once

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Sway ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 ant.lei

We will find out on Tuesday! Arctic Monkeys and Muse will not win almost by default unless they want to surprise use this year. I personally want Guillemots to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Are they all Indie bands? Bad show is that's the case. Not exactly diverse it is. Take a look at 10 years ago...
    Pulp
    Norman Waterson
    Manic Street Preachers
    Mark Morrison
    Courtney Pine
    Artists for War Child
    Sir Peter Maxwell Davies
    Underworld
    Black Grape
    Oasis

Looks far more diverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Are they all Indie bands? Bad show is that's the case. Not exactly diverse it is. Take a look at 10 years ago...
    Pulp
    Norman Waterson
    Manic Street Preachers
    Mark Morrison
    Courtney Pine
    Artists for War Child
    Sir Peter Maxwell Davies
    Underworld
    Black Grape
    Oasis

Looks far more diverse.
    ** snigger **

Mark Morrison? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

have a look on wiki at the winners over the years, you have to shake your head and say *what?*

its absolutly laughable the names that won while looking at the other names who lost out on the award.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 ant.lei

I am surprised to see such an unsurprising winner this year. Anyway.

Advertisement