Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Heads - Moving Sockets ??

Options
  • 19-07-2006 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

We're doing a touch of remodeling at our place, & I need to be moving some sockets, some of them are in plasterboard, no problem, simple enough punch & cut job, however a couple of them are in breezeblock...

I don't have a HSS drill but I do have a hammer one and an angle grinder... I'm thinking a couple of diamond wheels & the hammer drill will do the job (chasing cables & enough depth for the socket....

Any thoughts ? Any suggestions ?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

iMax wrote:
    I don't have a HSS drill but I do have a hammer one and an angle grinder... I'm thinking a couple of diamond wheels & the hammer drill will do the job (chasing cables & enough depth for the socket....

Any thoughts ? Any suggestions ?

Rent a kangoo for the weekend, the angle grinder is a bit OTT IMO for moving a couple of sockets, it'd be different if you were chasing the house. Get the kangoo with a gauge bit, shouldn't cost you more than 20-30 yoyo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Have a look here iMax http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054963127
    Then get yourself down to Aldi at 11.30 on Sunday Morning, they sold out pretty quick the last time, althought they seem to be learning and getting in more stock of the "hot items"

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭tribesman

If you're still living in the house and want to keep the dust to a minimum then don't use the angle grinder or the wall chaser from Aldi. They create lots of dust. A little chiselling drill will do the job nicely if you're only moving a few sockets and not create as much dust. Something like this........http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7106220.htm which is on sale in Argos at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

hmm.

I am in similar situation.. as I moved into brick build house and all sockets are surface mounted in the scirting boards... They all have to go into the walls.

I started with hammer and chisel - what a pain in the backside...

used then diamond whell on regular power drill... unfortunately no hammer function...

Considered the Aldi chaser - any opinions by how much a connected vacuum would reduce the dust?

Or is the hammer drill a better option? There are some light switch cables I have to cover too - so I have a good few meters of solid walls to open... while living in the house...

tribesman - how much is the hammer at argos?

TIA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭tribesman

hmm.
    Considered the Aldi chaser - any opinions by how much a connected vacuum would reduce the dust?

Or is the hammer drill a better option? There are some light switch cables I have to cover too - so I have a good few meters of solid walls to open... while living in the house...

What you really need is the Aldi chaser AND a hammer drill. The chaser will just cut two lines on the wall. You then use the hammer drill to knock out the material between the lines.

For a small amount of chasing you could use the hammer drill without cutting the lines but its much easier if you cut the lines first.

Attaching a vacuum does help but it's still a dusty job.
    tribesman - how much is the hammer at argos?

Just over 100 euro. 102 or something.

You might be better off going for it's slightly bigger brother though as it's more powerful and you'll get a couple of chisels thrown in.
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7105159/Trail/C%24cip%3D36581.DIY%2C%2Bgarden%2Band%2Bcar%3EC%24cip%3D36666.DIY%2Bpower%2Btools%3EC%24cip%3D36669.Power%2Bdrills.htm

If you want a cheaper option, you could also go for one of these
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7110869/Trail/C%24cip%3D36581.DIY%2C%2Bgarden%2Band%2Bcar%3EC%24cip%3D36666.DIY%2Bpower%2Btools%3EC%24cip%3D36669.Power%2Bdrills.htm
    but even though they look more heavy duty they don't work any better. The lighter Bosch is much easier to work with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Thanks guys.
    Just missed the chaser (D'Oh!) some diamond wheels & maybe an SDS will be picked up during the week though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

B&Q have MK sockets and switches cheaper than any electrical wholesaler. They work out at about 4.50 each

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I have the Challenge SDS hammer drill from argos, bought it a few years ago. It's a formidable enough device, less than 50 euros. I don't use it that often, but it's worth its weight in gold when you need it.

Last question on chaser...

I've read somewhere that you can't use your household vacuum cause thir dust filters aren't fine enough and you will ruin your hoover.
    So renting a chaser means renting an industrial vaccum as well?

Or does that sound like BS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Last question on chaser...

I've read somewhere that you can't use your household vacuum cause thir dust filters aren't fine enough and you will ruin your hoover.
    So renting a chaser means renting an industrial vaccum as well?

Or does that sound like BS?

A Dyson will suck up the finest dust, if you have one. You could get the mrs ofr a pal to squirt a fine spray of water with one of those squeezy bottles on the drilling area. Works a treat.

• Advertisement

Thanks.
    actually I have a dyson.. hence my worry of ruining it - its not a 9.99 item to replace and the Mrs would be rather pi$$ed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Thanks.
    actually I have a dyson.. hence my worry of ruining it - its not a 9.99 item to replace and the Mrs would be rather pi$$ed off.

I did a huge amount of chasing, knocking walls and various dusty work recently. The best solution was certainly the squeezy bottle trick.

For drilling holes without mess I use the Dyson. There is no risk as the principle is different to the standard vacuum cleaner which has the motor behind the bag. The dust gets through the bag and filter and clogs up the coils. The Dyson does not work that way so the motor will never get dust on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

iMax wrote:
    Thanks guys.
    Just missed the chaser (D'Oh!)...

iMax I was in Aldi Tullamore at 3pm this afternoon (Weds) and they still had 8 chasers on display! Ring around and you might still get one...

invest4deepvalue.com

Advertisement