Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Begging in Paul Street

Options
  • 19-07-2006 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

I was walking through Paul Street the other day at about 3 pm and passed two women with kids in buggies begging for money. I've seen gypsies do this in the area very often before but these were women with Cork accents wearing normal clothes. What's up with that? Is it some sort of scam? Was it a once off thing or is it some new trend? Jus' wondering!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've seen women around there before. There was once a woman begging with immaculately highlighted hair, that was obviously recently done in a salon. Honestly.

I haven't seen any recently, but tbh, I just ignore them no matter what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Faith wrote:
    I've seen women around there before. There was once a woman begging with immaculately highlighted hair, that was obviously recently done in a salon. Honestly.

Yeah, that's the weird thing - they were wearing trendy clothes, make up etc and the buggies weren't the cheapest kind. :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

How were they begging? Like, holding MacDonalds cups out to you begging?

I'd say it was a scam alright. However, the state does provide buggies afaik, so that part's fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

i know a girl who was homless and begging on a daily basis,she used to make up to £150 a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

there is always some aul wan begging on bridge street..if she sold her gold teeth , she might have some money for food...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Well dressed pikies maybe .... wait thats an oxymoron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Faith wrote:
    How were they begging? Like, holding MacDonalds cups out to you begging?

Yup. And if the state is providing them with buggies, they must be getting welfare too... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

Got stopped on the street last week by some random dude IN A SUIT begging. The suit looked new / good. What's up with that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

I hear there's good money to be made begging. It's tax free, and you can claim welfare at the same time. Some make up to 70k a year! Perhaps there should be courses on it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

I'm no goody-two-shoes, leftwinger, bleeding-heart liberal etc, but haven't you heard of charity (maybe that fella is wearing one of the suits I gave away?). The odd beggar is probably making a nice living out of it and going home to a nice house, car etc but there are still a hell of a lot of genuines out there - only look and you can see that. If you're not sure then don't give them anything - it still surprises me how many people are paying what clearly look like scammers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement