Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O'Leary Sacked

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Can't say I'm shocked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Pffft, everyone from the club should leave and then we can start over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

yeah, villa seem to be a bit of a wreck, leeds style. everything there to be a top club within the premiership, but shocking bad management

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I'm not suprised either. When he was in charge of leeds he did a good job and everyone was linking him as a futhure Manu and Arsenal manager. Then everything went pair shape staring with his book and the comments and remarks he made about woodgate & bowyer. Then he goes to Aston Villa and and is just as Controversial with his comments to the press and the chairman. I don't think he has done himself any favours at aston villa and im sure he was involved with the statement released last weekend, why else would he leave, but id say he they gave him the choice to leave before they sacked him. Im sure a lot Clubs now will look at O' Leary and his track record at leeds and aston villa and how controversial he has being and comments he has made. I foreone can never see him managing a Top Club in England as he has tarsnished his career so far in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Yeah, and im sure its nothing to do with the fact that the two respective chairmen who have employed him have been complete idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ooops I thought I was first with this news! :o

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

el rabitos wrote:
    yeah, villa seem to be a bit of a wreck, leeds style. everything there to be a top club within the premiership, but shocking bad management

are you talking about Villa there or Leeds. If you're on about Villa then welcome to planet earth.
    Yeah, and im sure its nothing to do with the fact that the two respective chairmen who have employed him have been complete idiots.

totally. I don't know how the two lads can put down the demise of Villa and Leeds soley on O Leary. The two charimen are complete muppets. I hope he gets a decent job now.

are you talking about Villa there or Leeds. If you're on about Villa then welcome to planet earth.

i was talking about villa, they should be competing for uefa cup spots every year.

by bad management, i was referring to the chairman.

i dont see anything wrong with o'learly, seems like a good motivator, i dont think he had much to work with financially or talent wise at villa, and at leeds he had the opposite problem regarding financing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

It's not exactly surprising given the number of Villa fans who wanted to get rid of O'Leary. The only person in the league less popular with their own fans is probably Deadly Doug himself who needed to do something to get the fans off his back (slightly).

I'd guess that O'Leary isn't too unhappy about getting a pay off to leave a club where he had a small squad, not much money to buy players and a squad of players who are definitely demoralized by the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Didn't see this thread so re-posting my comments from Mike65's "old news" thread ;)

In all fairness to O'Leary, he didn't have much to work with at Villa and his squad got smaller every season. He didn't have a penny for transfers this summer.

Who will Ellis get to manage them that will work with no transfer budget and the smallest squad in the Premiership?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Freedomfighter

David O`leary is a good manager. Like some said he didnt have much to work with with villa. He did well at leeds but the chairman was useless. The same can be said about Villa chairman.
    But with everything that has happened to him i cant see him getting a good job for a while. Maybe taking a championship side getting them promoted then people will sit up and take notice.
    I have heard from a friend who knows him that he has very bad man management skills.
    We have all seen the instances in the paper players not returning or bad mouthing him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

He's a decent enough manager, it's a shame he had to end up having to resign. Ah, he had nothing to work with at Villa and with no indication of that changing, he probably summed up that another season of obscurity would be more harmful to his C.V. than signing on the dole for a while :rolleyes: :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

el rabitos wrote:
    i was talking about villa, they should be competing for uefa cup spots every year.

by bad management, i was referring to the chairman.

Villa where never going to get into the Uefa Cup with a squad of about 15 fit players, which has been the case most of the time for the last two seasons. Better teams than Villa have been relegated in the past two years so i don't know you think they should have been challanging for a Uefa Cup place.

Villa where never going to get into the Uefa Cup with a squad of about 15 fit players, which has been the case most of the time for the last two seasons. Better teams than Villa have been relegated in the past two years so i don't know you think they should have been challanging for a Uefa Cup place.

i'm talking about villa as a club, they're expected to be a top 8 team every year, and with better running of the club they would be. good facilitys and a stong fan base. they have the makings of a strong club there, but it seems they'll be favourates for relagation this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

i'm talking about villa as a club, they're expected to be a top 8 team every year

I agree. Villa are too big a club for this to b e going on this length. Something needs to be done there so it wont turn into another Notts Forest

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Can't say I'm shocked!
    But you did use an exclamation mark at the end of your sentence. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Don't know why anybody rates O'Leary as a good manager, he has never won a trophey as a manager, you dont get one for getting knocked out in the semis of the Champions League. He spent a fortune at Leeds to win nothing. Deadly Doug was right not to give him any money, he might have bought Seth Johnson for 50million quid :)

Hes a media whore at the best of times too. Remember him holding a press conference every time he went to see Houiller in hospital, just awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Julesie

Tbh i'm glad he is gone. I would agree that the situation is not 100% his fault but under his leadership the side were not going anywhere but down this season. The rumor mill is suggesting Alan Curbishley is a possible replacement, somebody who knows how to manage a club with limited resources. However there is a distinction between limited and no resources and that is something that can only be rectified by a change at the very top, either a loosening of doug's purse strings or a change in personnel entirely. Unfortunately i'm not too confident of either happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Can this get any worse for us Villa fans?? I mean I was already dredding the start of the season with Ellis still at the helm and now we have no manager. Fair enough O'Leary had a bad season last season but people in soccer have too short memory's. The season before he took over Villa were only one place off relegation then O'Leary came in and bought us to been one place off a Uefa Cup spot.

The problem with the club is Ellis, he says the club is for sale but yet makes sure he puts enough obstacles in the way to put potential buyers off like the Comer brothers.

Now we are just a month off from the start of the season with no manager and with Ellis in charge what chance have we of getting a decent manager in? Roy Aitken is been mentioned on a few sites but he hasn't returned from sick leave yet and has no previous managerial experience at the top level. I' love to see O'Neill there but with Ellis in charge there is no chance of that. I ain't looking forward to this season at all!

Up the Villa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Aikten has the job.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Curbishley, O'Neill and youth team manager Gordon Cowans are the early favourites to replace O'Leary! Deadly Doug will probably go for the cheapest option!

Advertisement