Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

banning dogs from beaches

Options
  • 19-07-2006 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭

tryin to ban dogs from public beaches durin the summer months

just been on tv3 news... what ya think????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

If people refuse to clean up after their pet: it's only fair.

Selfish bastards should be banned from the beach. This includes the above offenders, and assholes who leave broken glass behind,etc.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I enjoy watching dogs playing on the beach. Maybe just because Im a dog person.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭YeAh!

I absolutely do not see any problems with dogs on beaches once they are accompanied by their owner, obviously abandoned strays are a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

if banned from public beaches, what would be next.....

god perish the thought, your right nothing is better than seeing dogs playin in the sea... they should ban kids to... kids pee and poo in the sea!!!! (im jokin)

no if ppl are responsible and pick up after them and keep them under control dont see the problem... non dog lovers dont ya just hate them!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

Would have to agree with SDoom there is nothing as pleasing as a dog playing on the beach and providing the handler is responsible enough to clean up after the dog.

People in general have a responsible to keep the beach tidy not just the dog owners.

You can not bring a dog onto a Clare beach until after 18:00. What happens to the dogs before that do they get kept in cars all day!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

There's enough nappies lying round on my local beach but they don't ban kids ?
    On a serious note I have written to my local council umpteen times to provide a dog poo bin.
    I have 2 dogs and they ALWAYS have a poo at the beach - I clean up - and lo and behold there's no-where to put it.
    My local beach stretches for miles and there isn't even a general refuse bin. There's a recycling one with a small hole in the top for bottles but other than that nothing.

I mean at least if there was somewhere to put the stuff it would help.

That said I see people all the time letting their dogs have a poo - watch it and walk on. Have offered them a waste bag and on more than one occasion been told to f*ck off.

This is sad as I am one of the people who loves taking their dog to the beach but in fairness there are a lot of irresponsible dog owners out there ruining it for us.

On another note there are an awful amount of wandering dogs on the beach too - they are " regulars " if you know what I mean so I can only assume they are from the houses that front the beach - again not fair on those of us who abide by the rules and lead walk our dogs :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Danes

Its a shame to ban dogs from beaches at certain times but I can see the reasoning behind it. There are owners who just let their dogs run amok - they dont clean up after them and the dogs bother people using the beach. I saw one lab run up to a little boy and snatch the ice cream out of his hand. The poor child got a terrible fright. I'm a dog owner and love my dogs dearly but I dont expect everyone else to. Sadly its the irresponsible owners who have ruined it for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

There isn't exactly a shortage of beaches here, is there?

Therefore we take our dogs to the less beautyful and less populated variety, where we can let them run and play without bothering anybody else.

Even for the dogs' sakes I wouldn't bring them to a busy, popular beach. Too much possibility for something to go wrong ...running kids ...ice cream ...picnic hampers ...all needs investigating:D

As long as it isn't a blanket ban on all beaches, I can live with with a ban on certain (or certain sections of) popular beaches.

With a bit of sense, both dogs and the common bathing public can easily be accomodated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Has anyone noticed an increasing intolerance of dogs lately? I have. I walk them in a park in Dublin and when I see someone coming towards me I heel the dogs and put them on a lead. Saves any trouble. People who don't like dogs tend to wave their hands in the air and shout, what could be more attractive to a dog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭RandomOne

peasant wrote:

As long as it isn't a blanket ban on all beaches, I can live with with a ban on certain (or certain sections of) popular beaches.

I'm in agreement with this, but possibly because it's what I'm used to and I wouldn't let my dog off the lead at a busy beach anyway - purely because he'd hoover up every bit of discarded burger, chips and ice cream he could find not harass anyone, and he needs to run loose to get enough exercise even without eating as much junk as he can possibly swallow before I can stop him! :mad: :D

Like lightening putting dogs on a lead to avoid conflict with folk; a busy beach with who knows how many people and esp. small children/their parents scared of or just disliking dogs would be a nightmare. The dog wouldn't have fun and nor would I.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Definitely growing intolerance of dogs. There's a feeling growing up of general *entitlement*, which includes being able to ban anything.

The trouble with Ireland is that we're completely addicted to making laws, which then aren't enforced. No sign of anyone being prosecuted for dog poo on beaches or streets - putting up a big scary sign is supposed to complete the duty of the state.

And certainly there are no litter bins for dog poo.

In fact, I've spent the last 16 years asking the Corpo for litter bins at the end of my road (which has two schools on it, and is on bus routes). Twice they've actually put litter bins up, but each time they took them away again after six months.

Near my house is a big sign with an attractive picture of a pooing dog, and threats (in Irish) about the huge fines that face anyone who lets their dog poo. But there isn't a litter bin for 300 yards.

Undoubtedly they'll succeed in banning dogs from beaches, then there'll be lots of self-important people lecturing and screeching at dog owners who will ignore the law, adding to the general unpleasantness of current Irish life.

i cant believe im gonna admit this but after reading the above line from the learned peasant i thought to my self...

why would they ban blankets on beaches!!!!

and b4 you ask no im not blonde.. no disrespect to any blondes out there!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

*giggle* :D

you've startled me now ...I actually had to enter "blanket ban" into google just to make sure ...and yes, it means what I meant it to mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Belle_Morte

luckat wrote:
    Definitely growing intolerance of dogs. There's a feeling growing up of general *entitlement*, which includes being able to ban anything.

I've noticed this too, and think it's kind of sad.

It also makes me wonder how on earth the rest of us survived childhood without all of these legislations to protect us :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I had a row with a jogger a while ago. I was walking in the park with a young pup, training it to heal, I was off the path in a park beside some hedgerow.

A jogger approached so I stopped the dog and made him sit beside me with some food. The jogger veered off the path and ran straight towards me. He passed with in about 10 inches from me and the dog stood up in curiosity and he jogger freaked out, shouting at me to put the dog on a lead!

He was obviously looking for trouble. The cant drive properly, rude, mid to late 50s generation, I pay my taxes sort of attitude...

I was tempted to tear his little shorts of and strangle him with them.

peasant wrote:
    *giggle* :D

you've startled me now ...I actually had to enter "blanket ban" into google just to make sure ...and yes, it means what I meant it to mean

i made peasant doubt himself!!!!! has hell just frozen over!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

My hubby and I took our 3-yr old mutt to our local beach this weekend and didn't run into any problems from any other beach-gowers. There were a number of dogs both on and off leads, but they were all well behaved and no one had a problem. Guess we got lucky.

The problem I had was that our dog (who is very large, but extremely mellow and stays right by our side w/o a lead) was actually attacked by a little rut of a mutt who was taken off his lead by his careless owners. We were at least 100 feet away, absolutely no threat to them whatsoever, and the dog charged us from behind. Teeth barred & snapping at my dog who just didn't know what to do. I picked the dog up by the scruff of the neck and walked back to the owners, who couldn't have cared less.

That *really* angered me, but I suppose if dogs like that are not controlled by their owners, what choice do the authorities have but protect the public? Not to say that I want restrictions on where/when I can take my dog, but unfortunately not everyone has well-behaved pups. And all we, as dog-owners, need is for one ignorant owner to release their dog & have it attack a person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Well I am a dog person, (I mean a person who likes dogs not a half dog half person) and I own two water loving dogs so I like the idea of being able to bring them to the beach but my brother is a doctor and he allways goes on about children that loose their sight from dog poo on the beach. I dont know the full medical explination but basically children are more susceptible to a virus carried in dog poo.

I know that alot of dog owners here would clean up their dogs mess but there are many that dont. I think there could be designated areas or beaches that dogs can play on set aside if a law like this had to be brought in..

On a side note, if anyone has read the book "Marley and me" there is a very funny story about a doggy beach in Florida.

that could be an interesting one half dog half person, or would it just look like anthony kedis from the redhot chilli peppers he looks like an afgan.. hound that is not person!!!!!

jules80 wrote:
    that could be an interesting one half dog half person, or would it just look like anthony kedis from the redhot chilli peppers he looks like an afgan.. hound that is not person!!!!!

I believe a dog-man would look like this

I'm no expert now, but its a good guess.

• Advertisement

classic

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

Ban people from beaches instead - they're far messier

Strokesfan wrote:
    Ban people from beaches instead - they're far messier

Ban beaches!

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

joejoem wrote:
    Ban beaches!

ROFL!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Dogs have been banned from Clare beaches all summer via a council by-law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Sunny_Dublin

this is just ridiculous.... last time on the beach (having my two dogs on the lead) i nearly stepped into a used nappy, broken glas and later into broken plastic toys....
    i clean up after my dogs as most other dog owners i have seen on the beach, have to say though that it is a bit of a pain having to walk around with a bag of warm dog poo cause there are no bins around....

fingal county council brings these new bye laws up every so often and luckily enough have not yet succeeded to introduce them. the day they will i will take the dogs, sell my overpriced house and leave this country...

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Surrender

Is our country going crazy, its a f*ckin beach!

Surrender wrote:
    its a f*ckin beach!

Sounds interesting......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

I recommend that you fight this ban for all your worth.
    In America, most public places do not allow dogs.
    In my city, the public Parks have become a favourite place for Geese to stop as they migrate south for the winter and north in the spring. Literally hundreds of geese! The goose droppings are so thick and crunchy you don't even want to walk in the grass! (And what health issues this could cause!)

The city's solution? Hire a woman to walk her dog through the parks every day to chase the geese away! Is that not the most idiotic thing you've ever heard?

If they continued to let people bring their dogs for a romp in the grass, this issue would not exist! I personally wouldn't be as offended stepping in an occasional dog poo as opposed to walking on a carpet of goose poo!

Your voice matters. Speak your opinion as much as you are able! Write your local papers.

L4L

• Advertisement
Advertisement