Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cannavaro and Emerson Sold To Real Madrid

• 19-07-2006 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭

MADRID, July 19, 2006 (AFP) - Real Madrid on Wednesday snapped up Italy's World Cup winning skipper Fabio Cannavaro as well as Brazilian midfielder Emerson from scandal-hit Juventus, the club reported on its website.

The club said its sporting director Pedja Mijatovic had been in Turin to tie up the deal which Cadena Ser radio reported was worth a combined 20 million euros.

The pair signed for two seasons with a further one-year option as they rejoined Real's former Juve coach Fabio Capello, the trio having left the Italian giants, who were relegated in the wake of the match-fixing scandal.

The Turin club were also stripped of their last two Italian league titles and penalised 30 points, while Lazio and Fiorentina were also demoted to Serie B and docked seven and 12 points respectively.

Yahoo.co.uk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Cannavaro I can understand, but yet again R. Madrid have signed a lacklustre midfielder. I mean these days Emerson can barely keep up with the pace of the game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Despite his age Cannavaro alone would be worth the money for Madrid. Anything to shore up the back properly. Emerson did look completely off the pace at the world cup but he also looked like his physical conditioning wasn't great. He's only 30 so if he was fully fit at Madrid he should do fine. I think Cappello is bringing him in because he's a player he knows he can rely on and he needs some strong experienced voices to make life easier when he is sorting out the 'squad problems' at Real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I know what you mean Slurms, first Beckham, now that Emerson chump, overpaying for average midfielders seems to be the only tradition left at Real.. Galacticos my ringpiece!...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'd say that Cannavaro represented the larger portion of the fee despite his age.

With Capello at the club the definition of 'Galacticos' may alter slightly. Even when Real were winning in recent years it meant buying big name midfielders and strikers at all costs and neglecting the rest of the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Does this mean that Zambrotta is staing in Italy and going to Milan I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

zambrotta has been sold to barcelona

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I fancy Madrid to make a huge comeback this season on all fronts. That is, if they keep faith in Capello, he might be gone in October :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Woah, I thought Emerson was much older than 30. For some reason I had got it into my head that he was the oldest player picked for the World Cup. That's weird. Anyway, things may be looking up for Real Madrid this season, but I'd still fancy Barca in LA Liga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I had got it into my head that he was the oldest player picked for the World Cup.

That's because Dunphy went on and on about him being old and slow. What him for Juve last season if you can, totally different player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

how old is cannavaro? puts rio ferdinands 40million euro fee in perspective! i assume that juve did a deal with option to get him back to italy in 2/3 years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Thought Chelsea would get Cannavaro :(

Cannavaro will be a great signing for Madrid, even for the benefit the younger defenders like Sergio Ramos will have just from training with him. Apart from still having another couple of seasons at the very top in him, he could teach the whole club a few things about the art fo defending.

Emerson is a curious one, maybe again he can go in there for a season but other Madrid players will benefit from a man of his experience in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

how old is cannavaro? puts rio ferdinands 40million euro fee in perspective! i assume that juve did a deal with option to get him back to italy in 2/3 years?

Cannavaro is 32 I think so Real will be his last club.

With regards to Emerson, he's played for Capello with Roma, Juve and now Real. So, he's obviously highly rated by one of the worlds best managers.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Real do this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

David19 wrote:
    Cannavaro is 32 I think so Real will be his last club.

With regards to Emerson, he's played for Capello with Roma, Juve and now Real. So, he's obviously highly rated by one of the worlds best managers.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Real do this year.
    for one of the world's best managers he didn't really have a great tactical aspect to his game the last couple of years in the CL. Were the managers involved in match fixing?

Gangsta wrote:
    for one of the world's best managers he didn't really have a great tactical aspect to his game the last couple of years in the CL. Were the managers involved in match fixing?

nope heres his honours list

# Scudetto (Italian league championship): 1991/92, 1992/93, 1993/94, 1995/96 (A.C Milan); 2000/01 (AS Roma); 2005/06 [Juventus]
    # La Liga (Spanish league championship): 1996/97 (Real Madrid)
    # UEFA Champions League (European Cup): 1994 (A.C Milan)
    # Italian Super Cup: 1992, 1993, 1994 (A.C Milan) 2001 (AS Roma)
    # European Super Cup: 1994 (A.C Milan

SpAcEd OuT wrote:
    nope heres his honours list

# Scudetto (Italian league championship): 1991/92, 1992/93, 1993/94, 1995/96 (A.C Milan); 2000/01 (AS Roma); 2005/06 [Juventus]
    # La Liga (Spanish league championship): 1996/97 (Real Madrid)
    # UEFA Champions League (European Cup): 1994 (A.C Milan)
    # Italian Super Cup: 1992, 1993, 1994 (A.C Milan) 2001 (AS Roma)
    # European Super Cup: 1994 (A.C Milan
    That's exactly my point. He wins all those but it's kind of a stumper as to how poor juve were the last2yrs in the CL. Long balls upto the striker????:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Gangsta wrote:
    Were the managers involved in match fixing?
    They must have known or been involved, the players too. How can you fix a match if you don't tell the players to take a dive/miss shots etc on purpose, kind of defeats the object of match fixing if you agree to throw a match but your players don't know about it and go on to win the game, I'm surprised no players were reprimanded but then again, how could you prove it?

Laguna wrote:
    They must have known or been involved, the players too. How can you fix a match if you don't tell the players to take a dive/miss shots etc on purpose, kind of defeats the object of match fixing if you agree to throw a match but your players don't know about it and go on to win the game, I'm surprised no players were reprimanded but then again, how could you prove it?
    You'd be surprised how much influence a ref has on the game;) But I see your point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Laguna wrote:

Huh? Is that sarcasm? :confused::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I think I'll put a bit on Madrid for the Champions League at 10/1.

Laguna wrote:

no its to do with the referees not the players or coaches, the referee would normally give last minute penalties for the slightest of touches inside the box to the team he was told to favour

• Advertisement

Gangsta wrote:
    That's exactly my point. He wins all those but it's kind of a stumper as to how poor juve were the last2yrs in the CL. Long balls upto the striker????:confused:

yeah I think it was more to do with tatics, long balls rarely work against english teams in the CL..........espicially when your delivering them to Ibrahimovic

keep in mind that up until english opposition in both years Juventus had the best records, I think the english are just so used to long ball tatics that they knew how to deal with them and Capello was too stubborn to change his tatics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

According to Il Corriere della Sera, the transfers (to Real and Barca) have a clause that nullifies them in case Juventus win their appeal and were not relegated to Serie B.

Advertisement