Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile phone advice please

Options
  • 19-07-2006 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hey all,
    I bought my GF a mobile phone in january. She has had nothing but trouble with it. Anyway she gave it time ( 7 months ) before she went back with it. Anyway the shop said they would provide a temp phone at 100 euro deposite with 90 returning to her when the phone is given back.
    Now its a motorola and ive heard that alot of these phones have been returned since they were launched. Its the V3.
    The shop said they would not exchange the phone as it has passed the 28 days so there is no guarantee on it.
    Has anyone got the knowledge or experience in this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I didn't know places gave temp phones but anyway I'm not sure about your particular problem but you can always send the phone away and get it repaired for free as it would be still under manufacturers warranty. MPRC at the Sandyford Industrial Estate do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Freedomfighter

Ruu wrote:
    I didn't know places gave temp phones but anyway I'm not sure about your particular problem but you can always send the phone away and get it repaired for free as it would be still under manufacturers warranty. MPRC at the Sandyford Industrial Estate do this.

Yeah the shop can give you a rental as it were. !00 euro deposite with 90 given back to you on returning the phone.
    With the phone being under warranty why is it not under warranty in the shop. Is it in my right to demand a new phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

If the fault was there when you bought it then you would be able to demand a new phone and get one, but not after 7 months.

€100 euro deposit and only getting €90 back is a bit step, the company I work for only charge €50 and give it all back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Well on the O2 website for online orders its states that "if you discover a fault with your phone within 30 days from the day you received it then you can choose to either get a replacement or repair." I would assume the regular street shop goes on the same so you wouldn't be entitled to a new phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I've heard a lot about those V3 phones giving trouble. the missus has one also and it is ok but maybe because it is pink! They are supposed to break easily and are very power hungry.

nothing you can do I'm afraid ulness you can buy an old spare phone for €10in the buy and sell...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Freedomfighter

Ok thanks all. They took the phone away to be fixed. So we will see after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

I can't understand how someone could go 7 months with a faulty product and not inform the shop.

From the retailers perspective they can only go by what they are told and when they are told. If you reported the fault within 28 days, you probably would have gotten a replacement, now that it is outside the 28 days all you can expect the retailer to honour is the standard warranty, which would be a repair when possible and probably will take about two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

The V3s are plagued with problems, i wouldn't touch one with a forty foot barge pole!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭rondjon

Ruu wrote:
    Well on the O2 website for online orders its states that "if you discover a fault with your phone within 30 days from the day you received it then you can choose to either get a replacement or repair."

Note: You are also, by law, entitled to a refund if a fault is discovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Hey all,
    I bought my GF a mobile phone in january. She has had nothing but trouble with it. Anyway she gave it time ( 7 months ) before she went back with it. Anyway the shop said they would provide a temp phone at 100 euro deposite with 90 returning to her when the phone is given back.
    Now its a motorola and ive heard that alot of these phones have been returned since they were launched. Its the V3.
    The shop said they would not exchange the phone as it has passed the 28 days so there is no guarantee on it.
    Has anyone got the knowledge or experience in this.
    100 and 90 back. utter sh!te. i hope you didn't take it. what shop is that by the way?

all v3s should be assembled in a pile in the centre of lebanon ready for destruction.

rondjon wrote:
    Note: You are also, by law, entitled to a refund if a fault is discovered.

we've had this discussion on this board a good bit. the general concensus is that you are entitled to a refund, replacement or repair but its up to the shop which one you get. some shops might have a different policy (eg lidl will refund no problem) but that's the legal requirement afaik.

the phone has to go back 3 times before they'll replace it generally. in my opinion they do that because by the time its broken 3 times you're out of warranty and they don't have to replace it. and even if they do replace it, you'll still have a sh!tty v3 which will probably break again.

your chances of a refund are almost nil by the way

tbh i don't think you're going to come out of this happy. the phone's sh!t. the replacement will be the same. your only hope was getting a refund in the first two weeks

learn the lesson: motorola = crap

• Advertisement
Advertisement