Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

protest

Options
  • 19-07-2006 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭

if you can make it to this, please pledge. thankoo! :D
    ARAN is taking a huge step and is willing to organize a huge rally against the cruelty on December 10th 2006, which is the official International Day For Animal Rights. All over the world events will be taking place and we want this year to be the biggest ever here in Ireland.

Right now the animals are counting on us all to speak up and free them from the pain and needless suffering that is taking place in the greyhound industry, bloodsports, circuses that use animals, animal experiments, shooting, fishing, homeless and abandoned dogs, cats and other animals, animals slaughtered for their skins, their flesh and even dogs that are chained up all over the country who are forced to live outside in all weather extremes be it in the thundering harsh winter or the excruciating summer heat that we seem to be getting, all this without food, water or shelter and there is so much more happening to animals. They desperately need us all to help them and we must because we all know this cruelty is needless and it's in our hearts to do so.

The Irish government to date has a clear disregard for animal protection and unlike other governments in many other countries who have enforced legislation that outlaws cruelty such as fur farms, hunting, shooting, dog fighting and much more. In 2007 the Irish government has told us that they plan on updating the animal welfare legislation so we need to send a huge loud and clear message to government that the people of Ireland care and want all this needless cruelty to end. We are counting on people & groups across the nation to once and for all hold hands and join together in this peaceful march that is aiming to shine alight on the needless cruelty and urge legislators and the public to put an end to this terrible suffering.

Our plan is to gather at the Garden of Remembrance on Dublin's Parnell Street and with a huge banner reading "It's Time To End Animal Cruelty Now" and "Animal Cruelty Must Stop" make our way down O'Connell Street where we'll come to a stop outside of Dail Eireann where these issues need to be heard, if possible we will also have some speakers talk about campaigns going on around the country. At all times this rally will be completely peaceful and will warmly welcome people of all nature and creeds to come along and speak out against the cruelty. But, this rally will only go ahead if we can gather 1000 pledges from people nationwide or indeed people who are willing to come from other countries to support our efforts. So If you want to be part of history in the making please fill in the details below and once we raise the 1000 - it's full steam ahead! Be sure to send this pledge onto as many friends and family as possible, remember the animals are counting on you. Sign the pledge if you, family and friends can make it

http://www.aran.ie/pledgepage.php
    Thank you from all of us here at Animal Rights Action Network (ARAN)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

saw that tonight and so gonna be there!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭antSionnach

what exactly do you mean by 'animal rights'. Im all for combatting cruelty to animals, but I wouldnt consider shooting to come under this category. Youre not the people who campaign against livestock farming on College Green, are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Reaver772

That has to be some of the worst dribble i've every read.

"Right now the animals are counting on us all to speak up and free them"
    No they are not. This is anthropomorphism, animals do not have the ability or intelligence for anything aproaching this level of reasoning and communication.

"from the pain and needless suffering that is taking place in the "
    Appeal to pity a logical fallacy

"greyhound industry, "
    Any supporting evidence?

"bloodsports, "
    Which one? Shooting, fishing, fox hunting? These are all legal if you see something illegal try reporting it.

"circuses that use animals, "
    Don't all circuses have animals so are they all bad?

"animal experiments, "
    Animal experiments are currently viewed as necessary not needless by the scientific comunity.

"shooting, "
    I believe most people don't find shooting to be cruel.

"fishing, "
    The majority are not vegans and eat fish, even doctors recommond eating fish.

"homeless and abandoned dogs, cats and other animals,
    Every city on the planet has a population of feral animals (except where the residents are really hungry) if wild cats and stray dogs concern you why not volunter at your local animal rescue.

"animals slaughtered for their skins,"
    Its called leather lots of people wear leather.

"their flesh "
    Also known as meat, most of us eat meat, deal with it.

"and even dogs that are chained up all over the country who are forced to live outside in all weather extremes be it in the thundering harsh winter or the excruciating summer heat that we seem to be getting, all this without food, water or shelter"
    Instead of complaining about it, blocking traffic and annoying people why not report it if you see it.

" and there is so much more happening to animals. They desperately need us all to help them and we must because we all know this cruelty is needless and it's in our hearts to do so."
    Politicans only help ...? If you want to help donate your time or money to the ISPCA, report abuse if you see it, don't use false and misleading statements and appeals to emotion.

I like animals but i also like fishing, shooting, leather goods and modern medicine etc. im sure that these people have some valid points but it's wrapped up in a crapload of nonsence that i can't swallow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

what exactly do you mean by 'animal rights'. Im all for combatting cruelty to animals, but I wouldnt consider shooting to come under this category. Youre not the people who campaign against livestock farming on College Green, are you?

i'm not actually a member of ARAN, i just joined their mailing list and got this email. i suggest you contact them at www.aran.ie if you have any questions.

with regard to your first question, there's animal rights and animal welfare. 'animal rights' is concerned primarily with the philosophy that animals are not put here for us to use, so animal rights followers condemn anything that affects animals in a negative fashion, and are often vegans (ie- use no animals for anything.). 'animal welfare', on the other hand, i have heard described as the attitude thats it's okay to test on animals etc once the animals are well looked after.

personally, i think i come more heavily on the animal welfare side, with a touch of animal rights. i respect the animal rights bunch, but on issues like 'it's not right to eat animals' i disagree. although i'm a vegetarian, it's not a denial of the food chain that made me decide to cut out meat and by-products, it's a personal protest against the conditions of factory farming. if everyone ate organic free range meat, that was killed in a humane fashion i would never have turned vegetarian.

The reason i posted this is because i believe the laws protecting animals need to be drastically updated. i know that the people organising this protest are not to everybodies liking, but i want to get involved because i think the irish government will not bump animals up on their list of priorities until they are told very loudly and repeatedly to. as i said, i have a bit more 'animal welfare' in me- i see basic things like PAWS being brought to court because they can't afford to pay their water bill and it pisses me off that something so basic as water is being denied to a shelter. animal welfare is where it needs to start, and ireland has an appalling record of support from the government.

Reaver772- stop being so pedantic. i didn't write the passage. if you want to come, come. if you don't, don't.
    sigh. i suppose i better make some sort of reply to your post, as much as it pissed me off.
    "greyhound industry, "
    Any supporting evidence?

in an announcement for a protest, don't EXPECT detailed reference to the various issues included. there are dozens of websites and material out their for you to view. i'm not even going to bother giving you one. they're very easy to find.
    "bloodsports, "
    Which one? Shooting, fishing, fox hunting? These are all legal if you see something illegal try reporting it.

the fact that they are legal is the BASIS for part of this protest.
    "circuses that use animals, "
    Don't all circuses have animals so are they all bad?

no, they don't all use them. yes, the ones that use them are bad.
    "animal experiments, "
    Animal experiments are currently viewed as necessary not needless by the scientific comunity.

yada yada. what about cosmetic testing. and do a bit of research. the majority of animal tests are wasteful, inconclusive, and unnecessary.
    "homeless and abandoned dogs, cats and other animals,
    Every city on the planet has a population of feral animals (except where the residents are really hungry) if wild cats and stray dogs concern you why not volunter at your local animal rescue.

shelters do not have a shortage of volunteers. what they need is for people to get active and try to campaign for more funding, better facilities, and our government to give a ****. an example off the top of my head- PAWS is one of the only shelters in the country designated a greyhound rescue for abused and discarded greyhounds. they rely heavily on the tax paid by people at the racetracks. this year, the government decided not to give them their designated slice of the tax, and last i heard they were on the point of closing.
    "and even dogs that are chained up all over the country who are forced to live outside in all weather extremes be it in the thundering harsh winter or the excruciating summer heat that we seem to be getting, all this without food, water or shelter"
    Instead of complaining about it, blocking traffic and annoying people why not report it if you see it.

yes, okay, lets report it to the authorities who (alot of the time) either a) can't do anything because the current laws don't allow action, or b) don't have room at the overcrowded shelters to take the animals in.

if i haven't replied to anything, it's because i can't bring myself to dignify the statements with an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

wow.. stick that in your pipe reaver, this is a pet/animal interest forum.. go and be silly else where

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

The Irish government to date has a clear disregard for animal protection and unlike other governments in many other countries who have enforced legislation that outlaws cruelty such as fur farms, hunting, shooting, dog fighting and much more.

WTF is that about? I apologise if my knowledge isn't up to date but aren't fur farms and dog fighting already illegal?

grimloch wrote:
    WTF is that about? I apologise if my knowledge isn't up to date but aren't fur farms and dog fighting already illegal?

fur farms no, last i heard ireland has 5 or 6. the only two locations i know off the top of my head are tubercurry in sligo and somewhere in donegal.

dog fighting i presumed to be illegal too, so i'm a bit confused by this bit. i've heard of rings being broken up in newbridge etc and people being prosecuted. i can only deduce that they mean protesting for all the extra bits around dog fighting- like harsher penalties, greater action and suspicious behaviour to be monitered etc. There is a desperate need for more time to be spent on the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

It appears there are a few fur farms knocking about alright but the dog fighting point still stands.
    The Irish government to date has a clear disregard for animal protection and unlike other governments in many other countries who have enforced legislation that outlaws cruelty such as fur farms, hunting, shooting, dog fighting and much more.

I'd love to know just how much "many" is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

grimloch wrote:
    It appears there are a few fur farms knocking about alright but the dog fighting point still stands.

I'd love to know just how much "many" is.

It's maybe not about how many, but more about all the countries that don't have animals protected by law.
    I'm Dutch and in the Netherlands all animals are protected against crualty by law. They have the same rights as humans for a healthy and good live. I know Germany and Belgium have this too. Have never looked into other countries, but there will be more who respect other animals.

Don't forget, we humans are mamals too, just like the cow, the fox, the badger etc..........
    Through evolution, and after all the other species, we came, but onfortunately there are a lot of humans who forget that we came last on this planet and not first and that we don't own the planet with everything on it.

More respect for our fellow animals would be a good thing and is very easy to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

I will be there - my next show on Animal Welfare for NEAR FM goes out in October, see www.indepthradioshow.blogspot.com for info. I will certainly announce the demo as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

And if you don't, I will :D.

Spoke to John Carmody and I will be there as well ;).

just a quick bump to remind everyone that the protest is coming up on sunday. here are the details:

When: Sunday, December 10th 2006
    Where: Garden Of Remembrance, Parnell Square (Top Of O'Connell Street on
    left hand side)
    Time: 1pm sharp

Advertisement