Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CDs and "double dipping"

Options
  • 19-07-2006 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭

Does anyone dislike it when bands/record companies reissue albums with extra bonus tracks? Or change the album art slightly?

I don't mind deluxe editions that have one CD with the whole album and another with all the juicy extras, but lapping three or four extra songs onto the same record makes me feel like the original piece has been tampered with.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

It's annoying and as much as I don't like it I normally end up buying it because I'm that sort of person. Depends though, if it's nicely remastered I'm fine with that. Those deluxe ones are sometimes a curse, I bought VU & Nico without looking at the back and when I got home I found it was the album twice, on one disc it was in stereo and on the other it was in mono :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

yeah i find it very irritating myself. its almost like a punishment to loyal fans who go out of their way to get copies as soon as they are released. to me it should be the opposite, the first releases should have the extra bonus tracks as appreciation for someone buying their album as soon as its released (i do realise its just a scam to boost lagging sales)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

are you talking about the "euro release" or is this something else?
    i know bands are forced to have staggered releases in the different territories in order to facilitate interviews/signings etc,
    so its normal for them to lash a few "extra tracks**" onto an album so it stands out from the US release etc.
    the same with the JAP release, they get differnet tracks again.
    its to ensure people who bought early online or whatever will buy in their own territory to make sure sales arent affected.

**for "extra tracks" read half finished early cuts ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI

Meh...people get all hot and bothered over this...I don't know why...I don't have any problem with them adding bonus tracks, as long as they're stuck at the end of an album, you can just listen to the album "proper" and then listen to the extra bits n' pieces. Two things would be nice, either stick in an extra disc, or stick in say 30 seconds / a minute silence in between the album and the bonus tracks, but personally I don't think it's something worth getting your knickers in a knot over...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Beastieboy

subway wrote:
    **for "extra tracks" read half finished early cuts ;)

i prefered the way Nirvana put it on In Utero:

Gallons of Rubbing Alcohol Flow Through The Strip*

*Devalued American Dollar Purchase Incentive Track

:D

• Advertisement

Zwei, it's not the inclusion of bonus tracks with the album, it's having to buy the album again for bonus tracks. I recently gave away a load of old Neubauten and Tindersticks CDs as I had 2-3 copies of each of them at one stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

John2 wrote:
    Zwei, it's not the inclusion of bonus tracks with the album, it's having to buy the album again for bonus tracks.

Actually, my peeve was with the first category. ;)

Oh right, I don't mind that at all :)

It's buying multiple copies of the same album that pisses me off!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i don't mind sometimes. i got the rob zombie "hilbilly delux" cd with the 5.1 mix and bonus DVD with a video for every song... and the nine inch nails 5.1 delux edition of "the downward spiral" for the extra cd of tracks and remix stuff.

if it's only 2/3 extra tracks or a demo or something, i'm heading straight for a bay.

a pirate bay.

yarr.

John2 wrote:
    Oh right, I don't mind that at all :)

It's buying multiple copies of the same album that pisses me off!

True, but is this not offset by the fact a lot of these bonus tracks are compiled from limited edition CDs and singles that very quickly fall off the radar, so hardcore fans quite often would have the majoirty of them anyway?

• Advertisement

True, but is this not offset by the fact a lot of these bonus tracks are compiled from limited edition CDs and singles that very quickly fall off the radar, so hardcore fans quite often would have the majoirty of them anyway?

In some cases, yes. Like the NIN Downward Spiral reissue someone mentioned earlier (I think there's only one song out of the whole lot I don't already have) but a lot of bands throw on unreleased tracks that I *have* to have. Like Sunn O))) this morning reissuing their two White albums. Granted there's about forty minutes of extra music and it's all on gorgeous white vinyl in a sexy box but bugger!

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

Thatd piss me off alright, especially if i was a die-hard fan of a particular band (which i am incidentally, of hendrix and zeppelin especially, Zeppelin=grand but if ya wanted to get the whole collection of hendrixs releases, yad probably spend the rest of your life doin it)

On a similar topic, what the **** is it with U2 releasing 3 versions of every single? Im neither a fan of singles, nor much of U2, but i can see why fans proper would feel the need to buy them all. its a joke really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Some of The Fall re-issues have a crazy amount of bonus tracks

Luckily I've only recently gotten into The Fall so this has worked to my advantage :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

John2 wrote:
    Luckily I've only recently gotten into The Fall so this has worked to my advantage :)

Yes but I would perfer them on a second disc altough some of them have a second disc a lot of them are on the one cd I dont mind bonus tracks as long as they arnt alt version of tracks for some reason I hate having more than one version of a song on the one cd

Yes but I would perfer them on a second disc altough some of them have a second disc a lot of them are on the one cd I dont mind bonus tracks as long as they arnt alt version of tracks for some reason I hate having more than one version of a song on the one cd

That only annoys me with demo versions or slightly different mixes...don't mind 12" versions on the CD, and I can't get enough of remixes...

Advertisement