Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argh, tripswitch wont reset....

Options
  • 20-07-2006 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, I cam home tonight to find that my downstairs lights are out.
    Tripswitch wont reset, trips immediately.
    I have all the lights turned off and it still wont set... any ideas where to start looking?:(

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

The problem may be a short circuit in a switch or receptacle. It's probably best to call in an electrician?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd call an electrician - unless you're good with wiring. It's most likely a short circuit. See what happens when all switches are off. Turn them on one at a time to see which one trips the circuit. Remove each bulb one at a time if you think a bulb may be at fault - unlikely though. If the trip switch won't reset with everything off then definitely call a sparks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

To reset some trip switches you have to pull them down fully and then push them up. Try this.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Hmmm ok now sometimes it sets :confused:
    I have everything turned off and it can still not set but then sometimes it will set, seems to depend on how quickly/slowly I try to reset the switch.
    I'll try the un-set/set idea when I get back home..

Question, if it is a short circuit Im guessing that it should never set, as in its not going to magically fix itself, so how come it sets "sometimes"?:confused:

cheers.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Only based on my experience of putting in my own lights, but I suppose it could be a loose or exposed earthwire at a socket or in the light itself. It may have worked its way loose over time and now is on the edge of making contact with something that trips the switch. Could be as simple as walking around upstairs sets it off? Just a theory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Try swopping the circuits on that MCB with a different MCB and see if tyhe MCB is the problem. Only so this if you know what you are doing and have the power turned off at the Main Switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Im inclined to think it might be the MCB as it seems to stay on depending on "how" I switch it back on, as in fast or slow...
    turning on or off any and all of the lights seems to have no effect.

Advertisement