Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drunken youths attacking swans - Bray Harbour

Options
  • 20-07-2006 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

Drunken youths are attacking swans, throwing stones at, and even killing swans in Bray Harbour for the sake of sick thrills.

A dead swan had to be removed from the water within the past week, while others have been taken away with broken wings, broken legs, and severe cuts to their bodies. One of the birds had to have a leg amputated.

Debris left behind after illicit drinking parties is also presenting a danger to the birds, as they run the risk of catching their beaks in ring pulls from beer cans, or possibly even being strangled by the plastic binding that holds cans together.

One local woman, who did not want to be named, said she was shocked to see two youths kicking a swan at the harbour last week.

Bob Nicholson, a volunteer with the Animal Trust Fund, rescued two other swans from the harbour. He said he had never seen a flock of birds in such bad shape.

'I couldn't believe what I saw when I got to the harbour,' he remarked.

Acting Town Clerk David Forde said Bray Town Council has received a number of calls from concerned locals about the swans. Litter is collected from around their habitat daily and staff are monitoring their welfare wherever possible, he said.

Anyone who sees a bird in difficulty should contact the Department of Agriculture on (1890) 252283 or (01) 6072512.

source: unison.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

People like that should be rounded up and beaten themselves, hurting animals that are harmless. It happened by a lake nearby to my house, there was a group of about 5-8 fellas in their 20s, throwing sticks and chasing geese into the busy road. I would have liked to confront them but I was with my wife at the time, instead I called animal cruelty and I don't know what happened after that as they were sending out a patrol car. Thats a terrible shame what happened there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

god bob does so much good work!!!!

Advertisement